Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ever heard of this???

Jlynne
December 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'm new here- Hi- and I had a question:
Our Yellow Lab, Dixie, got hit by a car at the beginning of the week and had a plate put in her upper leg on Wednesday. Friday evening we brought her home with orders to confine her. This dog was not out of the kennel all evening except to go potty and eat. This morning (Saturday- the day after we brought her home) she started limping on it more and by the time I took her out the second time to go potty, she wouldn't pout any weight on it. Took her back to the vet and he said she BROKE THE METAL PLATE!!!!!!! Now, remember the dog had only been out of the hospital for less than 24 hours. I told him it sounded like a defect in the plate and he said she either played too hard or she scratched at door of her kennel too hard. Now she needs a second surgery that he says we will have to pay for. Does this sound as off as I think it does? If anyone has some input I would really appreciate it. If this is a regular occurance that stainless steel plates break in animals then I will resign myself to paying for the second surgery... but if not then I'm going to fight it.

Thanks
Jlynne

Stacer
December 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah that sounds rather fishy. Is it possible that it was broken even before you brought her home? I think any reputable and ethical vet would re-do the surgery for free, seeing as you followed doctor's orders and confined her and kept her still, JMO.

erykah1310
December 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I agree but... its easy for a vet to say the plate was fine and say it was your doing ( regardless if you followed the instructions to a T) it does sound fishy to me and i wish you the best of luck getting the outcome you hope for.

rainbow
December 17th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Welcome to the forum and I agree with the others.....it does sound "fishy". Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr