Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog pooping on her bed, please help!!

ratcliff
December 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I have a 6 month old female black lab. She is crate trained at night. Three times this week she has pooped on her bed in our family room. Every time has been around 8 pm, and every time she has only been alone for no more than 2 minutes. It is like she sneaks to do it. The first time it looked like diarhea, but the second and third times it was a bit firmer. After the second time, we got rid of the bed and gave her a blanket. I can understand if she tried to make it outside and did it on the mat at the door, but it is like she is purposely doing it on her bed. The bed and the door are about 10 feet apart. She is not totally house trained, but close, she will go to the door and sometimes she will cry at the door if I don't see her there.

Please help, my husband is going mad with her.

Scott_B
December 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
First of all, dont go mad at her. ;)

I would think of having her checked at the vets, just to rule out nothing medical. In the mean time, go back to puppy basics. Watch her like a hawk. You see her start sniffing, scoot her outside and lots of praise. Dont make a big fus of the accidents. If you do that, then they will try and hide it from you. Best to, even if they do mess, just clean it up very good, and yell at yourself for not watching her more ;). You know what time shes doing it, so maybe take her for a walk around 730. Walking usually gets things moving and remember lots of praise when she does good! Don't rely on her telling you when she needs to go out at this point.

t.pettet
December 16th, 2006, 10:24 PM
She is still a puppy and not completely house trained so you need to be very vigilant and consistently take her out at timely intervals. She's too young yet to be totally dependable.