Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog cough

SheCho
December 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hi people...just wondered if anyone else had a dog with a cough? We have had her at the Vet, thought she might have 'cold' gave her antibiotics and cough meds, but she still has a slight one. Does not affect how she plays, runs, eats etc, but just annoying when she starts hacking for a minute or so almost like she has asthma. Any ideas on what we can ask the vet to check for? again. Getting costly when they cant seem to find anything wrong. :confused:

p.s. they did check for heartworm with blood test and x-rays had nothing.

Dobb
December 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Ask your vet about possible fluid build up around the heart,, That will give them a cough. What kind of dog is it?? We have a shihzu , which is prone to have a weak bronchcola or something of that nature. If she pulls on a leash which is hooked to her collar she will cough for hours afterward. We use a body harness now and have no problem at all.
Dobb

SheCho
December 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
we dont know what she is...found her by an Indian reserve so probably a mix of things (has a few traits of coyote)
we use a body harness as she is quite a puller, but will mention that next time at vets
Thanks

Hunter's_owner
December 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Did the vet mention kennel cough. I believe that it may be a viral infection that antibiotics wouldn't clear up, the virus would just have to run its course. Has it been getting any worse?

Also, I will mention this because I also thought asthma with my dog, when she used to have a coughing fit, but it turned out to be a "reverse sneeze". It can be caused by an allergen. When it would occur, she would stop everything and stand still and cough. It was actually more like a wheeze than a cough. Just something that you can mention, if it sounds like it is what your dog is doing.

Colubridz
December 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Not to hijack your thread but oddly enough my puppy started doing that thursday night. It sounded more like him trying to hack something up then an actually all out cough though he was wheezing a bit as well. Anyhow our normal vet wasn't in saturday and we were schedualed to go up north so we found another vet office to look him over, anyways we went in hoping they could diagnose something, give us the meds so we could leave as we really need to get on the road and we wind up in the middle of a domestic disturbance as one of the receptionists ex boyfriends barges into the clinic threatning to throw her against the wall and is screaming and swearing at her for cheating on him ( and of course if Duke was a year older his bark alone would of sent the coward running, however their was only Duke and a little ****zu) anyways so the cops had to come were in their for a good 40 mins, finally get to see the vet who looked him over, did a physical listened to his heart and lungs found nothing but gave us anti biotics for kennel cough just incase and then sent us on our way. I wasn't vey impressed with the diagnostic but will be going back to our normal vet as soon as that course of anti-bioitics are done in 10 days if we see no improvement.

Kayla