Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I've been humped!?

Tommysmom
December 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Tommy is doing great - he's actually eating his new gastro food and as long as we keep the meals small, he doesn't throw it up!! Yay!

My hubby came home last night after being away for work for 6 weeks. Tommy was SO excited to see him! But for some reason, Tommy has now started HUMPING - my hubby's arms, legs, and at one point even my arm!

Now, he's only 3.5 months old, so I'm sure this isn't sexual. Am I right in thinking he's trying to be the man of the house? He's not misbehaving, but he's certainly not doing all the good things that he knows how to do, his manners are not quite up to snuff. I know it's tough to get used to things changing for him, so we're certainly not going to get upset with him, we've just been gently correcting him, removing him and giving him a toy to distract him or walking away from him for a short time for him to calm down if he's too frantic about it.

Is it common to hump at this age?

Golden Girls
December 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM
That's one confident lil puppy you have there. It's not sexual your right - Tommy just thinks he's da man *giggle*. It'll pass once you guys have established doggie respect :) which btw I have no idea ... but someone will be along soon lol

I'm glad to hear the new food is working for him :thumbs up

Prin
December 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, it's a dominance thing. You might want to start working on getting him to understand that you are undoubtedly the leader of the home.:o

rainbow
December 16th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I agree. And, as long as you are correcting him and putting him in his place, he will outgrow it. Make sure you get him neutered soon.

bogwog
December 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I had a dog that used to hump her stuffed toy when she was around 4 months old. It was a large skunk toy so it was pretty funny to see! She did this for several weeks and then one night we forgot it outside and the coyotes got it. She never did it to another one. I think maybe hormones have something to do with it too.

sabgraciepets
December 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
whoa! rainbow is right i agree w/ his saying. at that age of 3.5 months i'm not sure, thanks my pets never humped anyone, even to me. :thumbs up but my dog humped his bigger toy he only do it once in a while though. he start doing that when he was a year old already. not that young i guess.

Daisy2943
December 17th, 2006, 02:26 AM
A dog humping someone or another dog (in an unsexual way) is a sign of dominance. Your dog doesn't respect your husband plain and simple. My suggestion is to push him off and ignore him until he stops doing it and if you see him start to do it make a noise such as psst so he won't even try once youve established dominance