Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moggy needs ear cleaning?

weaknfeeble
December 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM
My ginger cat has been shaking his head a bit recently, and in examining him one of his ears looks a bit waxy.

He is quite happy, eating, doesn't mind me touching his ear at all (actually quite enjoys it) and it doesn't smell nasty.

Is there a home treatment I could try just to loosen the wax, i.e. a simple ear wash?

badger
December 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I guess you could flush them with lukewarm water and a small amount of apple cider vinegar (say one cup water and a teaspoon of vinegar). When you have managed to get a little in his ear - say a couple of teaspoons -massage the base of the ear briefly before releasing the cat to shake it out. No poking around with Q-tips please, nature will take care of the rest.
Good luck with this. My old tabby lets me do it, yours might not be as cooperative.

BUT frankly, if I had a cat shaking its head so that you notice, even if there was no apparent bug dirt, smell or redness, I would take him to the vet, just to make sure there's no infection. An animal's behaviour always changes for a reason.

PS don't waste your money on commercial washes unless the vet prescribes one.