Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I've been bad....

dtbmnec
December 15th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Alright I shall ask questions of the experts....

I've been bad and not cleaning around the litter boxes as well as I should...so now I'm paying for it...in dark stains on the nice hardwood floors....the litter boxes aren't high enough to grab the "flinged" litter which has landed in piles on the floor....cats think its a box....cats pee....:(

Since our couch surfer seems to be a permanent appendage (as well as Dart) we have to move into a two bedroom before we all go insane (and most notably before the landlord finds out)...

Obviously we can't move until these stains are removed...we've tried a pinesol cleaner and it hasn't worked so we're wondering what the next step is....

Any ideas? I'd rather have to replace the hardwood as a LAST resort lol

Megan

mafiaprincess
December 16th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Is it 'real' hardwood rather than laminate flooring?
If it's real, ad truly stained, the stain is in the varnish rather than the wood strips itself. I've had a few things land on my floor than have stained in my 22 years in my bedroom, and some of them would require me to strip the floor to remove the varnish containing the stain..

dtbmnec
December 16th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Is it 'real' hardwood rather than laminate flooring?
If it's real, ad truly stained, the stain is in the varnish rather than the wood strips itself. I've had a few things land on my floor than have stained in my 22 years in my bedroom, and some of them would require me to strip the floor to remove the varnish containing the stain..

Yeah its real hardwood...the almighty "if you ruin this its going to cost you thousands of dollars to replace" hardwood....

So hopefully its just in the varnish huh? *sigh* I hope so....Of course I'm not sure how well the floor WAS varnished or stained or whatever the last time.....so we will hope for the best....

lol I've never owned actual hardwood floors....so ummm how do I strip the area of the varnish WITHOUT killing the cats....

It's also going to mean finding an alternate place for litter boxes then....

LOL I figured if it didn't come off I was gonna tell the landlord we were going for an African leopard print floor and it washes off :P

Megan

P.S. possibly stupid question....but my cats haven't figured out the "more paw less claw" advice from Over the Hedge....they've been chasing the catnip balls all over the floor with massive clawing of the floor....claws aren't going to damage hardwood is it? O.o

wdawson
December 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
get some fine sand paper and try a small spot ........

mummummum
December 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I would try some toothpaste (not gel obviously) first. Rub it in to one of the spots for a few miutes then wipe off with a damp cloth. If that does nothing then move on to a super fine sandpaper and a tackcloth. If you get all the way down to bare wood and you still have dark stains you will have to move on to oxalic acid (wood bleach which you dilute with water). This is very nasty stuff and you will have to put your gang in another room for awhile, ventilate the room really well and have fans running if possible. Follow the package directions carefully and make sure you wear a mask and goggles. It will definitely work.

SnowDancer
December 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Is the stain black? If so, replacement might be only option. This happened to me.

dtbmnec
December 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah its black....

O.o

Hmmmm I shall have to look into this....

My main problem is that Becky (Dart's owner) NEEDS to have her own bedroom in January...I mean three months on our couch is enough with the cats messing up her sleep and all...*sigh* And of course we discover this at the height of the busiest month too....

Megan

dtbmnec
December 31st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Well not much to update on this one....

Well except for the fact that the noisiest cat in the house is now PEEING outside the litterbox. Why? Health issue? Doubtful but since we don't have money we really can't get him to the vet.

What we figure is the issue (since he seems to go back and forth on this one) is that he's so used to peeing OUTSIDE the litterbox that he just doesn't care anymore!

Arrrrrg! :frustrated:

I'd take him to the vet if I thought it was a health issue, but since this has only been happening since I noticed the litter on the outside of the boxes and since I've been GOOD about cleaning the litterbox and the outsides, I'm betting on the whole "used to peeing outside it" thing. *sigh* so now we get to retrain him before Becky (potentially) leaves with him in the next month or so...

Of course that too is as much up in the air as whether I'm going back to school in January.....:frustrated: :yell:

*sigh*

On the plus side I'd bought this "Get Serious" stuff ages ago and decided to use a bit on the floor (even though its for upholstery and carpets) and it seemed to have cleared up a bit of the dark spots! *grumbles* hopefully this will stop the littlest devil from peeing outside the box too....its supposed to help stop it anyway....bah!

Megan