Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clipping the unclippable

erykah1310
December 15th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Charlie has horrendous nails on his back feet. They have curled under completely...
He does not like his feet touched and has not yet had his needles to go to a groomer. ( will be getting them in the near future, but its not my call, he is a foster)
It has to be uncomfortable as ever immagineable. I have managed to get one single nail clipped with lots of patience and slow movement, however he now is on to my plan and tucks his feet under his body.:shrug:
Any tips?

wdawson
December 15th, 2006, 10:15 PM
three people....:D

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Does the vet charge an arm and a leg? :o

Shaykeija
December 15th, 2006, 11:17 PM
treats to keep him busy...

mafiaprincess
December 16th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Cider apparently had limited contact when stuck in her pet store cubicle and after 2 years of patience still wails at grooming time, but no longer fights..
As a pup no matter how painfully slowly I tried to desensitize her, we didn't get far, ad in the end I just had to do it. she got wrapped in a small blanket, or bath sheet sized towel with the paw I wanted sticking out, and someone holding as nicely as possible the doggie bundle. While not nice, I did what I had to do in those first few months. Was more humane than the fight she wanted to have.

erykah1310
December 16th, 2006, 02:22 AM
I am going to get the vet to do it when they are in for their needles and over all check up... I worry bout Charlie and his adoptability potential. He is lumpy, gassy and makes the weirdest sounds when he drinks.:(

It has to be so uncomfortable to walk around on those curly nails like that too.:sad: I would love to do it myself, but really i just got him trusting me more and well I dont want to traumatize him anymore.

Lets just hope they can get into the vets next week. Gonna put a push on it.

Scott_B
December 16th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I work with Rosco on this all the time. I get him on his mat into a down stay. I take a paw and just touch it. No fuss, "good" and treat. Do that a few times. Then i take the nail clippers, and just touch the nail, no cutting. Again, "good" and treat. after a few times like that, hes more then willing to let you touch them. Next, you do the same, but snip a nail. "Good" and treat. I found this the easiest way. :thumbs up

muckypup
December 16th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Any tips?

Time and patients and food...but first I would get them clipped by what ever means necessary. He must be in a lot of pain with his nails being so long, that's probably the reason why he hates his feet being touched so much in the first place.

Start with just being able to touch the paw and reward him, tiny baby steps, work your way up to one nail. If you work hard at it, make it postitve and the rewards good, you can get him to where he hands you his paw. Good luck :thumbs up

jesse's mommy
December 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Ummm, I tackle Jesse. :o

Ronni52565
December 17th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Pets act differently when the person working on them isn't the one who feeds / coo's /hugs etc him..Kinda like kids- at home they can be monsters..Let someone else take them for a day and they are angels :-)..

Most I've ever seen charged was $14.00 US

If you think he might be a biter..warn the vet/groomer.

Hunter's_owner
December 18th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Hunter had just started to allow me to cut his nails without a fight when he cracked off a claw and had to go to the vet and he had to cauterize the quick. It was pretty bad, and Hunter let a big yelp out of him when the vet fixed it:eek: Since then he won't give in anymore and let me do it, so we either have to pin him (takes me and atleast 1, sometimes 2 other people) or else get the vet to do it. It now stresses me out when I have to cut them because I know how anxious he is.

Ronni52565
December 18th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Aww sorry to here that. Maybe they can sedate him. It's possible after they get his toenails to a normal status he will feel at ease again. :-)

Dogastrophe
December 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Here's a two person method that we've used occassionaly on Lucy when she was determined not to have her nails cut. Have the person responsible for cutting get into position. The helper sits in front of the dog holding gently by the collar. Just prior to clipping, have the helper continually pat/tap the dog on the top of the head (not too hard, but slightly more pressure than for a normal pat). When your pup gives the helper the "what's going on" look (after about the third pat), sneak attack the first nail then hide the clippers behind your back.

In general they are so distracted by the head pat that they don't realize until too late that they've just had a nail clipped. Repeat until they get wise to you, then mix it up with constant treats while you sneak a few more nails.

Note: because you are trying to get in and get out as quick as possible, only use clippers with a length guard on them. Normal guillotine cutters are too difficult to line up and make the cut when trying to do v. quickly, unless they have guards.

Best of luck

Dracko
December 19th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I can do a lot of things to my dog (Shepherd) but cutting his nails isn't one of them. Fortunately he wears them down fairly well. The only times I've managed to have them cut is when he is sedated for xrays or when he was injured once. He won't even let me hold his paw if we are just sitting there. Even in his sleep he will pull his paw back. It think they are just sensitive or ticklish.

Daisy2943
December 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
The groomer should be able to do it and its a good thing for them to do. I took my two dogs to the groomer when they were 5 months old that way they aren't afraid of it. Im too afraid to do they're nails.