Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible eye infection in older kitten

wishingbarbie
December 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I know you shouldn't post if discharge is comming out of a pets eye because it needs vet care, but it's Friday night and the vet isn't open (I don't think this will quilify for emergency care).

When I got home from work today I notice quite a bit green/yellow mucus in my 8 month old (male) cat's right eye. I really didn't think anything of it. I just checked his eye a while ago because that mucus made me think that something could (and most likely is) wrong. It's fine right now, just a small amount a greenish pus by the tear duct. The eye doesn't look too pink, but it is a bit watery. There is no discharge from the nose, nor are there any sores in his mouth. I'm not too keen on cat care as this and my other 4 month old kitten are my first.

What I'm wondering is if this is, in fact, an eye infection that would need to be treated with medication. It just came about, but I have noticed in the past few days that he tends to hold that eye only half open at times (though, this is the first day with discharge).

Also, how much of a risk is my other kitten for getting this as well?

badger
December 16th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Any coloured discharge is a sign of infection and he will definitely need, at the very least, antibiotic ointment and possibly medication by mouth. Eye infections in kittens are a bit like ear infections in children - all too common. And yes, the other cat is at risk, which doesn't mean he'll necessarily get it.

Try to keep his eyes clean, using a damp cloth. If he stops eating and drinking, or has hot ears (a strictly anecdotal sign of fever, although surprisingly accurate), then the situation is a bit more serious.

If you can find a vet tomorrow, even if he isn't your own vet, I'd take him in.

rainbow
December 16th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I agree with badger. Your little guy needs to see a vet and the sooner the better. Please keep us posted. :fingerscr