Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stomache issues, maybe raw ???

Rottielover
December 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Ok, I started Harley on raw awhile ago, mixing half kibble half raw. Well this morning I gave Harley a nice meaty knuckle bone.
When I got in, all gone, no water left.
Went to feed my daughter, he kept pestering me, thought he wanted food.
Well I was wrong. He had weird color liquid poop in my bathroom, and peed. He never does this unless really sick.
Put my daughter to bed, took him out again. Explosive diareah, Weird yellow color.
If it is not meat that does this, is it possible he is having a reaction to the actual bone.....Yes he does eat the bone.

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'm not an expert on food but when dogs eat something they are not use to, it can happen. (Like Molly throwing up yesterday after having cat poop delicatessy :o ) yes the litter box is now facing the wall !

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
yup, sounds like "too much bone, too soon" to me... :o also knuckle bones are for recreational chewing only (to clean teeth, exercise jaws & muscles, etc), - they're not meant to be eaten as the bone pieces are very dense and hard to digest. edible bones such as chicken backs cause less or no problems.

i would keep harley off bones for a while, back to feeding what you were when all was fine (kibble + ground boneless raw meat is fine, really!), give the knucklebone only under supervision and if he starts to chew off chunks, take it away. if you want to give him raw bones to eat, make sure they're well nestled in lean meat and served fresh from a good source.

it's all part of the learning process, getting to know your dog's likes, dislikes, tummy tolerances, etc. we all have to start somewhere! :grouphug:

Rottielover
December 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Boness meat he is great with, especially the carnivore raw diet. I thought it would have been nice to give him a huge meaty bone...Well I was wrong, so back to the boness for now, lol

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM
no no, the huge meaty bone is fine! just take it away after 15 or 30 minutes so he doesn't ingest too much, is all :thumbs up

if you can find big raw turkey necks... serve them frozen... oooo you might be pleasantly surprised :D

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
:offtopic: TD, once I ask the butcher if he could spare me some bones for the dogs. He gaves me big , uncooked (I think) bones,kind of those you would use to make a soup. The dogs started to "eat" them and I was afraid (ok some french here) les os avait l'air de se détacher en petits fragments a force que les chiens les rongaient. J'ai tout jeté dans la poubelle. Je me suis dit que c'était dangereux si ils avalaient ca. So I don't get what kind of bones can a dog eat without being dangerous for them?

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM
So I don't get what kind of bones can a dog eat without being dangerous for them

it all depends on the size of the dog and their individual capacity to digest bone (some have stronger stomachs than others) but in general, chicken bones are the easiest to digest of them all. the smaller the animal, the smaller and softer the bones. so cornish hens will be super digestible, then chicken, then duck, then turkey... raw fish bones are also very porous and digestible. then you go up in animal size and the bones get denser, thicker and harder. pork ribs are find, but leg bones are not for every dog. same for lamb, and very few cow or deer bones are edible at all.

if you can easily chop through a bone with your meat cleaver, then it's fine for your dog to eat. if you hit the bone with the cleaver and it bounces off, the bone is too hard and you should monitor that the dogs don't try to eat it.

all this is in my experience only though, and some raw-feeders would pooh-pooh it but i don't know any different so... :o

Frenchy
December 16th, 2006, 09:03 AM
if you can easily chop through a bone with your meat cleaver, then it's fine for your dog to eat. if you hit the bone with the cleaver and it bounces off, the bone is too hard and you should monitor that the dogs don't try to eat it.

That's good advice, thanks !

Lise
December 19th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I didn't think it was good to mix raw food and kibble.I thought if you were feeding raw/kibble one meal should be kibble one raw?