Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So what is your emergency plan??

heidiho
December 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Didnt even think about this til a few days ago when i returned the carrier i used to take Roxy to vet and thought to myself i live in a place where there are earthquakes and tsunamis.So i will be going this weekend and gettting her a carrier,but besides that what else would you need if you had to run out the door FAST.........

SarahLynn123
December 15th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Our biggest problem would be a fire, so we have 3 leashes and 2 crates in the bedroom with us, plus all animals sleep with us in the room. We live in a 2 story and of course our bedroom is on the top floor. If we couldn't get downstairs then the plan is:

Graydon Jumps out the window with a sheet, I toss out leashes, collars, and 1 crate. I then toss out the dogs in no particular order for him to catch (the sheet is suppose to help with that!) Then I toss the cat into the sheet and he will go into the crate to ensure he is safe.

Thats our plan!

Tornados are rare here, but if there was a warning then we would head to the basement.

The only thing we would need would be my purse and his wallet, the vets have everything else on file for the dogs so I wouldn't worry to much about them. We could just buy everything we needed with the house insurance money.

So that's all I would worry about!

(Hopefully we never have to use our plan, but it is good to have)

wdawson
December 15th, 2006, 08:34 PM
for a tsunami......you really need to get some water wings :D

heidiho
December 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I know hopefully never,but i have to come up with one here,just because god forbid..pretty much carrier and food i guess would be all i need to grab...oh yeah and cat///

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 08:48 PM
the plan is:

Graydon Jumps out the window with a sheet, I toss out leashes, collars, and 1 crate. I then toss out the dogs in no particular order for him to catch (the sheet is suppose to help with that!) Then I toss the cat into the sheet and he will go into the crate to ensure he is safe.

lol ! I was picturing it and burst out laughing ! :sorry:

LavenderRott
December 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen - you need to take a look at the aftermath for those who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina.

Might I suggest a small, portable fireproof box for important papers. Things like birth certificates, insurance paperwork and the like should be somewhere where you can grab and go.

joeysmama
December 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Our town just sent out a newsletter with important emergency instructions for pet owners. I have to find it. But here's what I remmeber for now and I'll post the rest when I find it..

Be sure you have information about where shelters would be set up in your area and find out if pets are welcome there.

Talk to friends and relatives who don't live in your vicinity and would most likely not be affected by a local emergency where you live. Find out if they are willing to keep your pets for you.

Have collars with tags on your pets. Have food, bottled water and dishes ready to go for an emergency. Also bags for disposing of their waste.

Have medications, and medical instructions, prepared and ready to go.

Have leash and carrier ready.

Be aware that some animals, under stress, may behave differently than they normally wold so be extra prudent around other animals and children.

As an absolute last resort, know if animal shelters will board your animal if you absolutely can not have your animal with you if you need to go to a shelter yourself.

That's what I can remember so far. I hope it helps.

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 10:49 PM
When we get a foundation here, I want a cementy room. Just a small area with cement walls all around, with maybe some shelves for provisions... I'm terrified of tornadoes and I feel they are coming soon.:o

Smiley14
December 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I'm actually trained as a First Responder for my community and the first thing we always tell people is don't plan on help for up to 36 hours. Plan ahead to have enough emergency supplies to take care of both yourself and your family for the first 36 hours of any disaster in case help cannot reach you immediately. I keep a metal box right under my bed with a first aid kit, blanket, flashlight, bottled water, dry goods (like beef jerky and granola bars and trail mix), dog and cat food, small plastic sheeting, duct tape, leashes, and contact information. My family also has all my contact information as well of course, and we have a family plan in case of city/state/nation wide disaster. I also keep a smaller kit in my car and in my basement and just update the food/water every few months. I'm probably a bit excessive, but after my training and hearing real life stories, better safe than sorry!

In my house, I also keep a small stock of canned goods that don't have to be refrigerated or heated and more bottled water, fire extinguisher, kennels, etc. In my garage, I have more plastic sheeting and duct tape. I don't have a generator though. :)

This is our site for MN, but it's got great tips that could be useful for anyone I think!

www.readyminnesota.org

jesse's mommy
December 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Being that we are in Florida, we have hurricanes. Here is what they suggest in addition to what LR suggested above:

Hurricane Survival Checklist

Have a two week supply of each item for every person in your home.

Water
18 gallons of water per person ( gallon for drinking, 2 gallons for bathing)
Store water in clean plastic containers

Food

Purchase foods that require no refrigeration and little preparation, such as:
Ready-to-eat canned food
Canned juices, milk, soup (if powdered, store extra water)
Snacks: cookies, cereals, etc.
Soft drinks, instant coffee, tea
Lots of ice (you can freeze your water supply)

For Baby
Formula, bottles, powdered milk, jarred baby foods
Diapers, moist towelettes and special medications

Pets
Newspapers or cat litter
Moist canned foods (to preserve water)
Plastic sheets to cover floor of pet's room

Medicine
First aid kit
Rubbing alcohol
Aspirin, non-aspirin pain reliever, antacid
Extra prescription medication (especially for heart problems and diabetes)
Ask your physician how to store prescription medication

Personal Items
Toilet paper, towels, soap, shampoo
Personal and feminine hygiene products
Denture needs, contact lenses and an extra pair of eyeglasses
Sun protection, insect repellent

Other Supplies
Battery-operated radio, flashlights, non-electric can opener, extra batteries
Charcoal, waterproof matches, extra propane gas for grills (Use grills outside only!)
ABC-rated fire extinguisher in a small canister
Portable cooler
Plenty of absorbent towels, plastic trash bags
Wind-up or battery-operated clock
Tarp or sheet plastic, duct tape, hammer and nails for temporary roof repairs
Cleaning supplies such as chlorine bleach
Aluminum foil, paper napkins and plates, plastic cups
Can of spray paint (can be used to identify your home by insurance adjusters in case it's damaged)
At least one change of clothing per person, sturdy shoes, hat and work gloves
Pillows and blankets or sleeping bags

dtbmnec
December 15th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Grab the cats and run.....

Pretty much it....

we have one carrier and three cats....carrier isn't big enough for all three....*shrugs*

We're screwed...

Megan

SarahLynn123
December 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM
lol ! I was picturing it and burst out laughing ! :sorry:

I cracked up too when we were devising the big plan! It would be quite the sight if It happened!

TMac
December 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM
So far, the plan is 'grab the dog and his leash and run'...much the same theory as dbtmnec.

Although lately I have been mulling over whether we should purchase a carrier (though I find that name silly because there is no way in h*ll that we would be able to 'carry' Toby in anything at 80+ pounds!).

We adopted him at age 10 months. I don't think the previous owner ever crate trained him and we didn't either because we happen to have a small sunroom with glass french doors that essentially serves the same purpose as a crate - it is 'his' area and can be sectioned off.

But, I've been thinking of getting one for exactly the reason raised here - in an emergency he might have to be contained in a crate somewhere outside of our home. The other reason I'm thinking of it is I am wondering if he would respond well to a 'safe haven' if we were to try flyball - ie. he could wait in there when he is not running and not have to worry about other dogs bugging him (he doesn't like all dogs he meets).

Any advice? He is a 80+ pound, 3 year old (birthday on Monday, yay!) Golden Retriever who doesn't know what a crate is!

TMac

mummummum
December 16th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Lots of great ideas here gang ! Small suggestion: rather than battery operated a flashlight and radio, you can get windups. No batteries to have to worry about and better for the environment. You can also get high-end portable and easy to use water filtration systems from places like Mountain Euipment Co-op.

springermom0406
December 16th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I keep about 12 cans of dog and cat food in a cabinet downstairs just in case. We also have a few gallons of water with the food. I have the crates for the cats easily accessable just in case.... recently we had a tornado warning so I had all 3 crates lined up and the cats locked in a room in case we needed to move quick. I have dog leashes in just about every room so we're good there lol and 2 portable crates.
Thats about it for my emergency plan.

heidiho
December 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM
thats about it for me to ,grab cat,some cigarettes(hee hee) and go......

TMac
December 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Thought you guys would find this interesting re emergency kits:

Storing water for emergencies unsafe, expert says

Bottled, city water deterioriate over time, conference told
Patrick Dare, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Storing water for months, or even years, in preparation for an emergency isn't a good idea because its quality deteriorates, says the manager of Ottawa's water system.

Dixon Weir told a seminar this week on drinking water and bottled water that he is "uneasy" with some of the advice the public is being given about preparing for emergencies. His concern is that people will assemble their emergency kits, with tap or bottled water, and store them for many months.

Because the city's tapwater is treated only with limited amounts of chlorine and chloramine, it is not suitable to be stored for long periods.

Meanwhile, the seminar, which was held at the Ottawa Public Library by the Polaris Institute, an organization dedicated to "democratic social change," was told by a university professor that tests have shown bottled water undergoes serious deterioration when it sits for long periods in plastic.

Governments have been urging Canadians in advertising campaigns to get emergency kits together, so they can handle crises, such as the ice storm of January 1998, or the power blackout in the summer of 2003.

But Mr. Weir said people should make sure the container for the water is clean, and replenish the water regularly.

He said the city hasn't done tests to determine the shelf life of its water, but the chemicals added to condition it only have an effect for a limited time.

"The longer you leave it in that bottle, the more opportunity there is for whatever may, or may not be in there, for it to become a concern and potentially contaminate," said Mr. Weir.

The city's water is disinfected so it can travel through the water system, which can take up to 12 days to get to the farthest reaches of the city, such as Manotick, Stittsville and Cumberland. But the city tries to limit the amount of chemicals it uses.

"Our drinking water isn't made with the intent of keeping it preserved forever. Chloramine is a good preservative, but it isn't intended to work ad infinitum," said Mr. Weir.

"We aren't designing that water to have a long shelf life. I would be concerned if people are assuming that they can. When you're pouring water into a bottle, it isn't forever and ever."

Turning to bottled water is not the answer, the Polaris meeting was told.

Water experts said bottled water is a triumph of marketing, but not a good deal financially or health-wise.

Professor William Shotyk, director of the Institute of Environmental Geochemistry at the University of Heidelberg, said recent tests of water quality have found significant levels of antimony, a toxic chemical element, in polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles.

The study, involving 132 brands, found increasing levels in bottled water that had been stored for six months at room temperature. Some results reached close to 2,000 parts per trillion, which is the Japanese limit for drinking water.

Mr. Shotyk said the findings raise questions about the purity of bottled water, but the industry is growing fast with limited public scrutiny.

By contrast, public utilities such as Ottawa's water treatment system face heavy scrutiny, including elaborate testing and a growing regimen of regulation.

The irony for Mr. Weir, who runs the water system, is that people are spending more for a single serving of bottled water than they spend for 1,000 litres they get from the city.

Eric Schiller, co-ordinator of a new citizens' group in Ottawa on water, affiliated with the Polaris Institute, said it doesn't make financial sense for people to be consuming all of their water from private sources when the city sells water at 77 cents for 1,000 litres.

But he said one-fifth of people in North America are consuming all of their water from the much more expensive bottled variety, even as questions are being raised about its quality.

In Ontario, Mr. Schiller said the soft drink industry is capitalizing on the freak mishaps of the Walkerton water tragedy -- where a whole town's supply was contaminated by E. coli -- while consumers have developed an ill-founded total confidence in bottled products.

"People will give an arm and a leg for their health. They think, ah, it's safer. It's better. If it's health-oriented, people just dish it out," said Mr. Schiller. "And it's convenience. Good old lazy us, we love this. Carry water around and not have to go and look for a tap."

Fred Michel, a groundwater expert from the Department of Earth Sciences at Carleton University, said city water faces stringent testing for quality that ensures the water is safe. And yet the public remains concerned about the public system's uses of chlorine and chloramine.

The bottled-water industry, however, doesn't do all of the detailed testing of water that would show all the trace amounts of undesirable elements. But the soft drink companies are superb marketers, said Mr. Michel.

"To them, it's just another commodity. They're good at selling. They're good at what they do."

jessi76
December 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Grab the cats and run.....

that was my plan too. and I can say from experience, it worked pretty well. we are extremely fortunate to live in an area where we don't experience natural disasters. floods, tornados, hurricanes, etc... simply don't hit where I live.

however, just before we got the dog, my bf had lit a fire in the wood stove - long story short... it smoldered so much it filled the entire house with smoke. Naturally, I awoke to fire alarms (thought it was my alarm clock for a few min's...) and instantly grabbed the cats and ran. one in the crook of each arm, grabbed the phone, out the door. middle of winter. in a t-shirt. forgot the keys and locked myself out w/ the cats. in the snow. (did I mention, just a t-shirt? at 6am)

so now, in addition to "grab the cats and run" I have added - put on shoes AND pants, grab the dog too, grab the KEYS, and get out.

besides that, I put the "in case of emergency - please save my dog(s), cat(s), etc stickers on the windows. (like the old Tot-finder stickers)