Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dandruff

springermom0406
December 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Another question about my boy Riley.

He's got the allergies and all that... last few weeks he's had really bad dandruff and been very itchy. I gave him a medicated bath last night with shampoo thats supposed to help dry skin. Well now his dandruff is worse than before and he looks like he has snow all over his back ugh.

Hes on Timberwolf Organics, I used to supplement with salmon oil when on the raw diet... I have aloe sprays and different things. Nothing helps.

Any advice? When I get his thyroid done if I do, I'll be getting him re-tested for allergies to see if theres more.

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Wow, that's a toughie... Are you sure you were using enough salmon oil?:o

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
how was his coat and health when he was on raw? :confused:

springermom0406
December 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I noticed no difference after being on the raw diet for a year. His ear infections were still chronic, skin was a little better but nothing great, and he still got skin infections. He's a broken dog as mafia puts it. I couldn't handle raw anymore because my other one is picky and I was throwing too much out... and if I gave her kibble he'd eat it then get diahrrea from mixing it with raw ugh. So they're on the Elk & Salmon TO lines.

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Have you had his thyroid checked?

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 08:25 PM
yes, thyroid or other disorder... if a food cannot "fix" such issues that are commonly cleared up by a proper diet (whatever that diet may be), then you start looking at a deeper root cause than food or environment... shampoos, dips, creams and supplements are only a band-aid :o

muckypup
December 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM
It could be related to his allergies, and/or it could be seborrhoea.
Maybe the dandruff is worse because the shampoo was not rinsed out well enough? Maybe it's just dry skin and the shampoo made his skin even dryer. You should use a hemectant or leave in conditioner to help replenish the moisture stripped away from the skin and coat from the shampoo. How long has it been like this, did it just start with the cold dry season?

This is a website with info about seborrhoea
http://www.isabellevets.co.uk/health_advice/dog/info/seborrhoeadog.htm

springermom0406
December 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info Muck.

I wanted to test him for thyroid but vet said he is not lethargic so he probably is fine in that sense. I'm not sure. I may just save my money and take him to the dermatologist at UPENN but we'll see.

I did rinse him again to be sure to get all the soap out, still lots of dandruff. Might just be the weather... its been warm one week in the 60's...next week its in the 30's. We're all a little out of wack.