Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brokenhearted in Maine

MadAlbanian
December 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Just before Thanksgiving I saw a beautiful Maine coon cat staring into our deck doors. It took me several days to convince him to get near me, but once that was done, he was the most lovable guy around. Checked with animal control, neighbors, shelter, etc. and no one knew where he came from. I named him Chatzi and took him in (after the requisite visit to the vet to ensure his health). He turned out to be a perfect gentleman and never fought back even though my entrenched three cats didn't treat him very well. Things were progressing; my original three were starting to tolerate him when one day my husband called me at work and told me that Chatzi was dead. Apparently he stuck his head in the litter box and surprised either Peanut or Spook and was lashed at; the claw put a 1/2" gash in the side of his neck. There wasn't all that much blood on the floor; certainly not enough to die from, but die he did. His eyes were wide and surprised and his mouth was way open. Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened? I am still in shock and miss my little Chatzi. Thanks.

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Wow! I don't know what to say about that. I have never heard of a 1/2 inch cat scratch doing that much damage before:shrug:

MadAlbanian
December 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
My husband says it caught his jugular (he used to be on the Casco Rescue), but still, there wasn't enough blood on the floor to cause death. I'm wondering if he bled out in his chest cavity. We didn't take him in for an autopsy; kind of expensive.

Thanks for your answer.

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Well if his jugular was cut there would have been a LOT of blood, imho. The only way he would have bled internally would have been if their was internal damage and a 1/2 inch cat scratch would haven't done any internal damage.:(

MadAlbanian
December 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I am at a loss. My husband buried him before I got home; he was so broken up - we haven't stopped shedding tears for him. I wonder if it was a heart attack or stroke? He was young (probably not two yet) and we had no previous medical history on him. I just know it took us both by surprise. This has never happened before and, at 56, I've had many kitties and dealt with nearly every medical problem under the sun. This is a first and hopefully, the last. Thanks.

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
The only way to know would be to pay for a necropsy. We weren't there- we can't tell you what happened either.:shrug:

MadAlbanian
December 15th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I've been doing some research while at work (no lectures on wasting company time please) and it would appear that Maine Coons are susceptible to heart disease. A massive heart attack would explain his wide-eyed, open-mouthed appearance. I had a heart attack and it left me gasping for breath with my mouth wide open and eyes bugging out. That would also explain the lack of blood from the gash in his neck. Just a theory.