Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling on plane with Pooch

Mrs Bungle
December 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if any of you have any tips, suggestions, warnings, anything to tell me regarding dogs and planes.

I am going to be moving in mid january from toronto to vancouver. I think that we will be travelling through west jet. Aparantly they do allow pets in cabin but they have to be a certain size, and my dog scruffy, is over that size limit, even though he is only 22 pounds.. He is a shetland sheep dog, and he is 11 years old with no health problems that we know of, we just went to the vet a couple of weeks ago.

So heres the dilemma, we were going to bring him in the cabin with us, but now obviously hes going to be too big.. Sooo, we may only be able to bring him along in the baggage compartment.. :sad: We were considering finding out how much it would cost to get him transported with accompanyment inside the cabin.. (some places do this, but its very costly)..

Can anyone offer me any info on how this might affect my dog, becuase of his age, (its about a 4 hour flight) or if it would affect him at all???

Thanks guys...

Mrs Bungle
December 17th, 2006, 11:51 PM
did my post get lost amongst the slew of other posts, or does nobody have any suggestions? *lol*

Prin
December 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Sorry, I've never flown a doggy before.:o

Dobb
December 18th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I've got no experience in flying animals either sorry,,, They ship dogs all the time by plane, so I would think that you shouldn't have no worries.
Dobb

Hunter's_owner
December 18th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I have no answers either.:shrug:

Is your dog used to being crated for a 4 hour period? If not that this will be an adjustment for him. Other than that, if he is good in the crate than everything should be fine.

pitgrrl
December 18th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I have no personal experience flying dogs, but I know you do need to check into seasonal restrictions, as they won't fly dogs during certain times of years because of the temps.

Puppyluv
December 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I flew my dog, who was 1 1/2 at the time from Montreal to Calgary, and back again, and I have flown with my parents' dog, who was 9 1/2 at the time from Calgary to Quebec City. In both cases, they flew in cargo. When you book your flight, you have to book your dog in at the same time as you, because there is usually a limit to the number of live animals allowed to fly at one time. If your dog is not regularily crated, start now. Do not sedate him. You can give him rescue remedy, but sedation will result in him not being able to regulate his temperature, and possible death. The cargo hold is heated and pressurized. They strap the crate into place, so it has to be hard, and it has to be big enough for him to stand up and circle. You can't lock it, and if you do, they'll just end up cutting it off. When I flew, the staff was wonderfull, they let me stay with my dogs until the last minute, and the person who returned the dogs to me passed along some "status reports" from the baggage handlers and other staff that were with her. When I flew my dog, my plane got delayed for 8 h hours while we were on the plane. She was the last to be loaded (I sat where I could see the baggage loaded) and when the anouncement that the plane was being held was made, I saw them unload her and take her inside the building. (A flight attendant also came and told me this.) Despite all the horror stories, the staff actually does a great job to make the trip easier for the furry ones. Write his name on the sides and the top of the crate. If he is a barker, try and train him not to bark in the crate (the handler told me that it was so nice to finally have a quiet dog, and how much the appreciate it... an appreciative handler can only be better than a pissed off one). The trip should be fine, despite the cold weather and his age. Make sure he doesn't get water or food for a couple of hours before and that he has relieved himself before he gets in the crate.

:dog: Good luck.

Esaunders
December 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM
We're flying with Westjet in January from Toronto to Halifax with the dog, so I've been checking this out.

- There's $50 per trip kennel fee if you book ahead.
- They take a combined weight of crate + dog up to 100lbs without an overage charge, AC's limit is 75 lbs before charging extra.
- The maximum crate size accepted is the 400 series crate.
- The area where the crates are stored is pressurized & heated like the cabins
- The crates are placed spaced out in the luggage areas to reduce/eliminate snark-fests.
- If the dog is tranquilized, they require a vet's note.

Mrs Bungle
December 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies, even if some of you havent flown hehe..

Puppyluv - I was told by my vet that i could give him some gravol if i want, an hour before the flight with a specific ingredient in it.. which i dont have on me at the moment so i cant tell you what it is.. have you heard of this?

Esaunders - yah! I was reading this also, we are also using west jet.. Is your dog small? Because they still allow some small dogs to travel in the cabin, my dog is too big unfortunatly..

mafiaprincess
December 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I know of a kid on another board who was going to fly her pom in cabin NY to Wisconsin. She gave the dog gravol prior to check in, It was looking doped up and they refused it boarding. I wouldn't recommend it for fear they decide that day not to fly your dog, and it was preventable.

we3beagles
December 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM
We fly dogs all the time from St. Johns to Calgary and in the cabin they need to be under 8" high (including crate) toy dogs only apparently. They fly cargo and do pretty well as long as they don't mind being in their crate. There is a flight embargo on right now that lasts some time until mid January though so no dogs can fly until it is over so you may want to check that out. We just got Rex out on the last embargoless flight to Winnipeg via West Jet thanks to some awsome employees of that company.

Esaunders
December 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I've got an English Setter, so there's NO way I could fit him in the cabin. (though I'd like to)