Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maddie update

Esaunders
December 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Second blood tests back and the kidney values have reversed. They've gone from kidney failure levels to relatively normal.

So her kidneys AREN'T shot, it was the dehydration from being ill. :cloud9:

The infection is still there though although the WBC numbers have lowered a bit. I still say UTI, first vet said probable UTI plus ovarian 'lumps', 2nd vet (the pushy jerk) is trying to convince me its pyometra. (i.e. I'll say whatever I have to for you to pay for the surgery)

I'd believe the 2nd vet if the 'leaking' (incontinence) hadn't stopped after a couple days of antibiotics and her abdomen is not bloated. Open pyo would be leaking gross stuff, closed would have her abdomen blowing up fast.

I'll be taking her to see my old horse vet next week and I'll get the blood tests repeated to check WBC counts. I'll probably be asking to extend the course of antibiotics and consider doing the spay in the new year as long as she gains weight & continues gaining strength. (with the horse vet of course)

Also on the upside, she's feeling good enough to hop over the baby gate, onto laps and the sofa again. She's chirping at us in the kitchen for treats & has started eating without me stuffing food in her face. A whole can of cat food disappeared from the dish last night and I know the fat cat doen't eat that much in a night. :highfive: :cat: Yay Maddie!

Rottielover
December 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
way to go maddie, congrats to both of you. I am so glad she is feeling better

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Yea Maddie ! :thumbs up :highfive:

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
oh i am so happy to hear this! yyayyyy! :crazy: :highfive: :grouphug:

dustybird
December 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I am soo glad to hear she is feeling better.:)

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Yey!!! :highfive: Go Maddie go! :)

jawert1
December 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I'm so happy to hear she's so much better and the blood tests came back more positive :) :highfive:

chico2
December 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Great to hear some good news,we've been kind of low on good news lately:thumbs up

~michelle~
December 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM
who has i little dancing icon... maddie needs a happy dance!!!!

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 05:05 PM
K, I'm happy she's better (as I said above), but I'm so lost on the whole ovarian cancer thing. Is that gone now? (The idea I mean) Was it a misdiagnosis?

Esaunders
December 15th, 2006, 05:53 PM
No Prin, the idea isn't gone, I wish it was. In fact I think it is equally likely if not more likely than the pyometra theory. That's the additional reason for further white blood cell tests next week. If the white blood cell count isn't down by a great deal more then the pyo theory looks stronger. If the count IS down significantly it really leans things more in the UTI plus unidentified bi-lateral lumps which are likely cancer, whether ovarian or uterine (in both horns) I've gotten copies of the 2 previous tests and am actually pleased withthe progress I'm seeing.

2nd vet is ignoring that I noticed these same lumps ages ago & thought it was due to constipation. Way too long ago for a pyo situation. I think the 1st vet was right, especially with the gradual weight loss from 1 year ago.

It is very likely still the case, but is affecting her less than anything else at the moment.

At least now I can look at building her health & strength back up and consider whether I want to put her through surgery with a vet I trust.

I believe in being happy for the little things, and a cat who is back to eating and being a demanding princess is a very happy thing. She's going in the right direction, and that's enough for me. :cloud9: :love:

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Glad to hear Maddie has improved and is feeling better. :highfive: Keeping fingers crossed for her next blood test. :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
December 16th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Esaunders,I agree,even though the big C might be lurking,the fact Maddie is happy and eating is what's important right now,one step at a time..soon enough,if Maddie has cancer,you'll deal with it the proper way,hopefully she does not:pray:

Prin
December 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Oh, ok. Sorry.:o It is great that she is eating and getting some strength back. Good luck! :grouphug:

Esaunders
December 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM
No problem Prin!
No reason to be embarassed! Fair question considering the conflicting information the vets have given me so far. :cool: