Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am I being rude not to want other peoples pets in my house?

mireland
December 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
My aunt has a dog that she has had for 7 years. She brings the dog everywhere she goes and even goes to restaurants that allow dogs. She cries if she was to board him and found special people to keep him so that he is not caged. She brought him to work with her until they asked her not to because a co-worker was allergic. Now she mostly works from home. The problem is that she brings the dog with her to every family gathering even Thanksgiving and Christmas at my mothers house. He is not a sociable dog. He has bitten my niece, 5 at the time and she was not anywhere near him - he just charged her and bit. The sister did not let my nieces near the dog prior to that. He jumps up to the table and tries to drag the tablecloth off to get food. He charges at my mothers cat and causes her to have to put the cat up when the dog is there. He tries to jump up on everyone when they come in or sit down. It is like the whole family is under the control of this animal. I love my aunt and I understand that she loves this dog like a child but what can we do?

LynLyn
December 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Maybe when she brings the dog you can designate a "special room" for the doggy full of toys for the dog. That way you don't have to ask your aunt to not bring the dog, but the dog does not have to be a nuisance to the rest of the family. You may even look extra thoughtful for giving the dog a room without too much stimulation.

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM
wow... sorry but people like your aunt give us good dog owners a bad name :frustrated: a dog is like a child, good manners go a long way to making a visit a pleasant and welcomed one. biting a child? BIG no-no. BIG problems waiting to happen. .... anyways back to the point... it is your home so they are your rules, the idea of a "special room" for the dog is a very good one, or a big crate in the corner of the family room, etc. Ask that the dog be leashed at all times when not in the crate or in the special room, to avoid bites and other problems. maybe make your aunt happy and hand the little monster a new chew toy to keep him busy during the visit in his special corner :cool:

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I agree. You wouldn't tolerate a kid going around biting others, so why would you let a dog do the same? I would say "Fine, he can come, but the minute he has bad manners, he's going in this room over here."

erykah1310
December 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I think Prins idea is a good one. And no youre not being rude, its just sensible.

Ed U KayShawn
December 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Happy Holidays!:crazy: just kidding I know what you mean I have travelled down this road way to many times. I have found that these personality types are touchy, and I almost think they want you to find fault with the dog so they can dramatize everything so they don;t have to attend these functions or just to create drama in their life. Usually reverse pshycology can work on these types! LOL Use the dog to your advantage by saying something like, oh, I am just worried my house is not doggy proof and I know how special he is to you and I would feel terrible if he ate something and get terribly sick and had to go to the vets etc. and I just wouldn't be able to live with the guilt. And exactly like the other poster's ideas, try "how about I make up a comfy special room with some yummy treats that I know he would love and then we both know he is safe. If she doesn't go for it remember Its your house and this is exactly how this dog has become out of control because the "owner" bulldozes through everyone so she doesn't have to be accountable for his actions, she has just learned how to manipulate people and the problem is children are getting hurt and she just plain lacks respect. unacceptable.