Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hunter is itchy again

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Well Hunter's itchies have started again:frustrated: They went away for about a year and have begun again.

So I guess it has to be seasonal...I am thinking the drier air in the winter, because I don't think there are any environmental allergies that could flare up this time of the year:shrug:

We also have food allergies ruled out as the itching goes away.

Last year this time he had to be given a shot of prednisone to help with the itching and that made it all better for awhile, it was great. But if I could I would like to avoid that again, he didn't have a bad reaction, it worked wonders, but I just think it is a bit extreme for just itching, when there may be something else that we can do....

Other than the prednisone, the vet has also given us a medicated shampoo for his chin, and a cream for his paws. Both work okay, but are only short term solutions to try to keep away from the prednisone. I also use the boots to keep him from licking his paws, but if he is itchy and can't scratch I feel really badly for him:( I can't imagine having an itchy foot and no one letting me scratch it....I would go off my head:rolleyes:
Any ideas???

Scott_B
December 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
If its the dryness, maybe try supplementing with something that would be good for his coat/skin? Fish oils or something?

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 10:54 AM
awe poor hunter :grouphug:

can you see if his skin is dry, does he have dandruff, does his coat feel brittle or dry? :confused: as scott said, maybe adding the right EFA's to his diet might help, if this is not a food allergy or a seasonal one?

i too would do everything to avoid injecting drugs to get rid of itchies.

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
We already supplement with Omega Fatty Acids, sorry I left that part out:o

His skin is actually great, no flakes at all, very very shiny coat.:shrug:

Any suggestions on a different supplementation that could help?

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
i'm at a loss, sorry :o

hope others here can help! :dog:

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah I know all about it, lol. I was at a loss last year when we couldn't figure it out. We tried a food switch and found out quickly that he could not tolerate lamb at all:sick: He got pretty sick because of it. I decided then that I really didn't want to put him through that anymore...his symptoms were so bad the vets even thought he may have gotten into some poison:( but after another little bit of the food with lamb, very very sick doggie again:eek:

Anyways, we gave him the prednisone shot after all that was settled and the itchies went completely away. The vet onyl wanted to try prednisone just to rule out a behavioural problem. He figured that if he still scratched and chewed at his feet with prednisone, then it would be behavioral. Anyways the prednisone worked wonderfully, ALL itchies went away. After the prednisone wore off he scratched again, but just normal scratches, not to the point where his paws would get sore and he would make his chin bleed as he was doing before.

So yeah he was a normal dog since spring, no crazy scratching or anything, until now, the horrible itchies have returned:frustrated:

Scott_B
December 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Maybe try and get in touch with a holistic vet and see what they say.

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM
a thought here... hunter could have *developed* a recent allergy to the food he's been eating since spring... what is he currently eating? :pawprint:

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
No he has always eaten the same food. I tried a switch, but after such a bad reaction to the lamb, I went back to the same that he has had all the time. I ruled out an allergy as he has had the food forever, and has only had itchies last winter and now.

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Maybe try and get in touch with a holistic vet and see what they say.

I think they would be pretty hard to find here in Newfoundland;)

dustybird
December 15th, 2006, 12:34 PM
My parents dog gets seasonal allergies as well but in the late summer. Her vet gave him benadryl and I know some vets perscribe a drug called vanectyl-P; I don't think they would be as potent as prendnisone, I would ask and see what they say. If you think it is because it is dry in the house you could try putting a humidifiere(eek spelling) in a the part of the house he spends the most time. I don't know of any other supplement either.

Scott_B
December 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I think they would be pretty hard to find here in Newfoundland;)

What about geting in touch with a vet in PEI or NS? They might be able to tell you somthing over the phone or email, or even recomend somone in NFLD.

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah that's something worth looking into. Thanks:thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM
My parents dog gets seasonal allergies as well but in the late summer. Her vet gave him benadryl and I know some vets perscribe a drug called vanectyl-P; I don't think they would be as potent as prendnisone, I would ask and see what they say. If you think it is because it is dry in the house you could try putting a humidifiere(eek spelling) in a the part of the house he spends the most time. I don't know of any other supplement either.

Yeah I have heard of seasonal allergies, but I don't think they are very common this time of the year.
I'm not sure about the dryness as his skin looks fine, no flaking. Thanks for the suggestions, and in the meantime I will do some reading into the drug you mentioned.

jessi76
December 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM
here i go "thinking out loud" again... Nzymes? they are supplements, some of which are used for allergies. I have NOT used these, I cannot vouch for them, but it may be worth researching.

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks Jessi. Yep worth looking into for sure. Does it make sense for it to even be a seasonal allergy this time of the year? :shrug:

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM
In my head, it must be dust... In the spring, you go outside more often, open windows more often, just generally change the air in the house more often. As soon as it gets cold, everything is sealed up.:shrug: If it was from the dryness, the pred wouldn't work and your doggy would probably have flakey skin...

Has he had his thyroid checked? That's the only other thing it might be...

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Maybe it is dust. You're rationale makes sense.

Also, what are symptoms besides itching that would indicate a thyroid thing. Also, would it come and go?

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I think depending on the hypo or hyper, it would lead to appetite changes and I remember reading that there was an increased irritability too... OG is better with the doggy thyroid stuff than I am... All I know is if there's no immediate obvious possible allergen and it's the "off season" for allergies, the thyroid becomes a suspect.:shrug:

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Prin. :)

MadAlbanian
December 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I've had some experience with seasonal itching. Seems to come on when the heating season starts.

I've had great good luck with pure, unscented shea butter. After a few applications, the itching goes away.

I don't know if we're supposed to mention name brands on here or not, but if you email me, I'll let you know where to get pure, unscented shea butter.

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Does it make sense for it to even be a seasonal allergy this time of the year? :shrug:

Bailey has both seasonal and food allergies. He's on Vanectyl from April until October. I did stop the Vanectyl on October because I don't like giving him the stuff (it's the only thing that works) but he is still itchy a bit. It's too warm this year. For some dogs (like Bailey) the seasonal allergies will only stops when the ground freezes ( has to be below 0 C*) :shrug: So when it's real bad, I give him one Benadryl.

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys. MadAlbanian, how would you apply the shea butter???

Frenchy, that is the way I looked at medications too, I would like to avoid it if possible. So Bailey's usually get better this time of the year eh? Whereas Hunter's get worse....maybe he is allergic to snow:confused:

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 08:45 PM
maybe he is allergic to snow:confused:

So you would have to move here, no snow yet ! The only thing I can see is the "air". Is it dry in your house ? Do you have an humidifier ?

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 09:59 PM
So you would have to move here, no snow yet ! The only thing I can see is the "air". Is it dry in your house ? Do you have an humidifier ?

Lol, there is no snow here either:o We had some the week before last, but it is all gone again.

Yeah, dryness is really the only thing that makes sense, but like I said his skin looks good, no flaking:shrug:

Prin
December 16th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah, ship Hunter over to Frenchy's. She has a thing for black labs.:D

Frenchy
December 16th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Yeah, ship Hunter over to Frenchy's. She has a thing for black labs.:D

naughty naughty Prin :D

papillonmama
December 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hey there Hunter's Owner,

maybe it's dust coming from your heaters. In the winter my dog gets ithcy too, and I find it just the extra dust being pushed into the air as well as the dry heat. It bothers my kids' noses too, they get lots of nosebleeds, do you have a dehumidifier? Maybe having the cool mist in the air will help.

This year my dog isn't so bad, but I haven't been using the baseboard heaters at all. Personally I think that was what was making the air so dry.

Good luck:)

OntarioGreys
December 17th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Is there a lot of leaves of the ground? Could be mould on the leaves

Do you use fabric softner(sheets or liquid) mostly in the winter months ?

Thyroid could produce skin flare ups and include ear problems but you would not just see it seasonally.

You mentioned scratching the chin, have you recently changed to a plastic food or waterbowl ?

Do you use any kind of powdered carpet fresherner?

Do you leave some of you indoor plants outside in the summer and bring them indoors in the fall? Do you have any pointsettas, paper lillys inside that are flowering?\

Do you have a woodstove and bring wood inside for it, that he maybe getting at? for example cedar, the resin in cedar many dogs are allergic to, can be a problem if dog beds contain cedar

Hunter's_owner
December 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Is there a lot of leaves of the ground? Could be mould on the leaves

Do you use fabric softner(sheets or liquid) mostly in the winter months ?

Thyroid could produce skin flare ups and include ear problems but you would not just see it seasonally.

You mentioned scratching the chin, have you recently changed to a plastic food or waterbowl ?

Do you use any kind of powdered carpet fresherner?

Do you leave some of you indoor plants outside in the summer and bring them indoors in the fall? Do you have any pointsettas, paper lillys inside that are flowering?\

Do you have a woodstove and bring wood inside for it, that he maybe getting at? for example cedar, the resin in cedar many dogs are allergic to, can be a problem if dog beds contain cedar

We don't any leaves at all in the yard where Hunter plays.

I am going to give the fabric softener sheets, etc some thought. You have made me wonder f I have switched brands or something.

All of his bowls are metal.
No carpet freshener, as I am allergic to it.
No plants inside that haven't always been there, and they aren't flowering plants.

There is a wood furnace, but the wood and furnace is only in the basement, and he doesn't go downstairs ever.

From what I can piece together, and as mentioned by Papillonmama, I am really started to think it may be dust. I got all of the duct work vacuumed out this week, so that will cut down greatly on the dust in the air. I will give it awhile and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. (And Frenchy, I wil keep you in mind;) )

Frenchy
December 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. (And Frenchy, I wil keep you in mind;) )

ok but not right now ! :eek: I will have a full house with 2 more goldens for Christmas day :D (my sister's) :crazy: Good luck with the dust.

coppperbelle
December 17th, 2006, 06:53 PM
This week I saw a news report on Christmas trees and how they are full of things like pollen and mold.
They also mentioned that artificial trees can be full of dust and also have some mold and recommended shaking them off outside before putting them up.
Do you have a Christmas tree and if so did the problem start around the same time?

Hunter's_owner
December 17th, 2006, 06:59 PM
No the problem started before the tree went up both years:shrug: Good suggestion though;)

Ronni52565
December 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM
put in the title space on Replies- new thread yes ..My one dog goes through the itchy skin and ear infection at least once a year for years now. He is about 9 years old..This year bathed him in Johnson's baby shampoo and TOTALY sucked up all the dust I could find and had a company come clean the ducts. His itchy skin is very minor this time. He did get his norm ear infection though..Taking him to the vet for flushing twice. Also it seems with the shampoo he is shedding less or maybe its just cause I cleaned. :-)