Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

where do all the feathers go?

technodoll
December 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
so a thought crossed my mind tonight. what happens to all the chicken and turkey feathers after the bird is butchered? that is a heck of alot of feathers produced on a weekly basis... where does it go? :confused:

CinnaAngie
December 14th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I think they compost them. I don't know for sure, but a show on Discovery Channel (Dirty Jobs, i love that show!) went to a turkey factory in one episode and all the dead turkeys and all of their poo and other waste ended up in compost bins... so maybe the feathers go there too?

But i have never been anywhere close to any of the factories, so your guess is as good as mine!

erykah1310
December 15th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Dog food as poultry by product;)

I have no idea.:shrug:

Prin
December 15th, 2006, 12:32 AM
heh heh

Pile one: dog food filler
Pile two: cheap "down" pillows..

hehe

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM
yeah i could see the Ol'roys of the world using feathers as chicken byproducts, but that still leave a looooooot of feathers :eek: and how many pillows / comforters can we use in a year, you know?

i somehow don't think feathers compost that well... so.. where do all the feathers go? (almost sounds like a rock song, he he he)

meb999
December 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM
heh heh

Pile one: dog food filler
Pile two: cheap "down" pillows..

hehe

unfortunetly...that's what they do!!

What is typically done with the feathers from chickens raised for meat? In Europe they are all landfilled. In the U.S., they use a technique that autoclaves the feathers at high temperatures, turning them into a brown material used as animal feed for livestock, cats and dogs. Itís not very nutritious and it costs about as much money to make as what they sell it for, so itís not a very profitable operation.