Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chihuahuas sensitive stomachs

cooknwoman
December 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone - this is my first time here - I am concerned because I have 4 Chihuahuas and they vomit often, at least one of them almost everyday!

We also have a lab and shepherd mix and they never vomit do Chihuahuas just have sensitive stomachs?

We feed them all natural kibbles of lamb and rice with no corn or by products.

I thank you and our :dog:s thank you :pawprint:
Susie Pedersen

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM
sounds like it has been going on awhile have you called your vet??and i dont think it is normal for any pet to vomit often do you.

cooknwoman
December 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
no, don't think it is unless this breed just has very sensitive stomachs. Brandie and Blondie are 6 1/2 yrs and they have always vomited - just now and again. We adopted 2 more a year ago last August and they have the same problem.
We make sure to give them vitamins which a gal from Petsmart suggested and we feed them 1/4 cup kibble morning and night and a small bone at lunch and to help them not get an upset tummy we started giving them a small snack at 3:30 in the afternoon.
We are both dissabled so we are home to tend to thier needs on a constant basis. They are our babies :) !! They are very active and have had all thier shots. Just wondered if this breed needs special attention.

Thanks,
Susie

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
well i dont know i just dont think any dog should vomit all the tiem,what did your vet say

jesse's mommy
December 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
It might be the kind of food they are eating or they may have allergies. What kind of food are you feeding them? Also, this may sound gross, but what does the vomit look like? Is it a yellow bile? Is it their food? Is it saliva/phlegm?

Also, welcome to the board.

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I agree with Jesse's Mommy. By chance, are you feeding them Nutro's Lamb formula?

cooknwoman
December 17th, 2006, 12:50 AM
yes, I am feeding them Nutro's lamb & rice but have tried several different foods. I try to stay completely away from corn. It seems the only time the vomit is in the afternoon but if we give them food in the morning and night and a lamb & rice bone at lunch and another snack at 3:30 they mostly do ok but still have the occasional vomiting and --yes it is bile only - no kibble.
Susie

rainbow
December 17th, 2006, 02:57 AM
There have been a lot of people that have fed Nutro say that their dogs have vomitted bile. I was one of them and since switching to a better food my dogs stopped vomitting.

Canidae is one of the better foods that isn't as expensive as some of the others. Check out our food forum here and if you have any questions, please ask.

jesse's mommy
December 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
My dog was on Nutro was vomitting bile. Basically Nutro is holistic, but on the lower ends and it just doesn't fill up a dogs tummy and causes them to throw up the bile. They are telling you they are hungry. As Rainbow suggested, Canidae is a good reasonably price food, but you may not be able to get it in California. Definitely check out the food forum and also stop in some of the pet/feed stores in the area. We switched our baby to Wellness for a while, but then one day she decided she didn't like i any longer and wouldn't eat it. I conveniently ran across Merrick in a store one day and decided to give that a try and she hasn't turned a meal away since. She loves it. Any questions you have about food, just post it. There are plenty of people who can give you tons of information. Welcome to the forum and we would love to see pictures.

cooknwoman
December 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks so much- I googled and both Merrick and Canidae are available locally. I have never heard about Nutro not being healthy before.

I was trying to buy something healthy and natural but we are both disabled so money is tight.

We love having our dogs though and will do whatever necessary to insure good health!

Thanks for all your good advice - I'm sure glad I found your site. here is a picture of the chihuahua's left to right Blondie, Dodger, Brandie and Peanut.

I will send pictures of our 2 bigs dogs too.

Prin
December 20th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Canidae is cheaper, I think. Make sure to switch gradually. Good luck. They're beautiful doggies.:)

cooknwoman
December 20th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Here are our other 2 dogs Mickie, a yellow lab and Mollie, a chocolaty black shepherd mix. They also eat Nutro but don't have any effects for some reason???
Thanks again for your advice.
Susie Pedersen