Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is best?? sticky tape or spray

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I am going online right now to either buy the tape or spray for our couch,and i just want to know which one is better?thanks

chico2
December 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Heidi,better for what??Scratching,or to keep her off the couch?
I don't believe there is a spray to get cats to stop scratching..

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM
oops guess that would help,keep her from scratching couch,when she does it i pick her up and bring her to condo to do it ,but she just doesnt want to or really just loves scratching couch

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM
anyone anyone

wdawson
December 14th, 2006, 07:40 PM
are you there all the time when this happens.....or are you at work?....if your there you can try what i did........those cans of of compressed air that you use for cleaning the computer.......just give him a quick blast from afar....the noise alone should take care of it when your there......after the first blast all i had to do was make a similar noise and he would stop.

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Double sided tape works best. I actually also just stuck regular packing tape on my couches where they liked to scratch. Because it was a smooth surface they weren't interested in scratching anymore plus it was hardly noticable unless the light angle was just right.

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 07:53 PM
god only knows what goes on when we are at work,but when we are at home,it is a constant thing,i will take her to condo act like i am scratching it and well she jsut starts atttacking my hands,then goes right back to the side of the couch and goes to town clawing it,she really loves like where the armrest is the part right there that goes to floor..

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Try rubbing catnip all over her scratching post. That works well for one of mine. The other is very picky about the type of carpet on the post. I had to try a few kinds until I found one she liked. They both also love, love, love the cardboard scratchers that you can buy at the pet store (Alpine Kitty scratcher etc).

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
but if i do that isnt she gonna go more crazy??and when i bought condo it said it was treated with catnip,i mean she totally plays on it,sleeps on it,hangs off of it,but when it comes to scratching like she just loves doing that on couch

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
IMO I don't think catnip makes them crazy. My cats love the smell of it and rub against it etc but it doesn't make them nuts. Besides you are just rubbing it on (or buy the catnip spray) so they are not eating it.

She is also getting your attention every time she scratches the couch so I would consider another technique. My cats often seek my attention by doing something they know they aren't supposed to. You could squirt her with water or get a can of pennies and shake it loudly while saying no when she attacks the couch.

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
alright gonna test a few out tonight,i have to say the keyboard cleaner and can of pennies i am a lovin..........

chico2
December 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM
We really don't have a scratching problem anymore,but since going through a few couches over the years,we bought leather and cats do not scratch leather.
We also have throws on many of the couches,that way the cats don't get a grip.
As for catnip,mine do not react to any of the sprays or dried stuff from the store,but they really love the fresh catnip from outside.
Here's Rocky enjoying his garden:Dand taking his feelings out on Vinnie:crazy:
I also find sisal-rope is better on a cat-tree than carpet.
It's very difficult to get a little kitten to stop scratching,if she is constantly punished,she might even become a little scared kitten:sad: just be constant in moving her to her cat-tree..

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I have found the same thing with my room-mate's cats. She bought them a wonderful condo thing with carpet for them to scratch and they couldn't be bothered with it.

They don't scratch the furniture either, but we have found that Max prefers to use wood. He will go in the basement where there is wood and use that, Charlie would rather the sisal-rope that Chico mentioned.

Also, my roomate bought a scratchy type play thing, it is disc shape and has a ball that goes around the outside of it, and the center of it is filled with a cardboard type material. They both loved that and used it over anything else.

vfrohloff
December 15th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I actually use tin foil and I find it works really well. Cats hate the feel of it and won't touch it. Double sided tape works too, but I find that after a day or two it gets less sticky and you need to use a lot of it to cover the entire area. Tin foil is cheap and all you need is a couple of pieces of tape to keep it in place. I have never found any kind of spray that is helpful for cat scratching.

heidiho
December 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Well the coins in can didnt work to great it would make her back off but she would just do it again,i am buying the computer stuff today....

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Well I think using it once or twice isn't going to solve the problem. It has to be more of a learned association, and it will take longer than a day, imo.

heidiho
December 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah i know but the other thing is we are really close space wise to people that live on either side of us and it is just a little to loud..