Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best gift YOU have ever given!

Prin
December 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Let's hear some of these! :D C'mon, you know you want to brag! :D

What's the best gift you've ever given anybody?

jesse's mommy
December 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
The best gift I've ever given would be to honey -- our first Christmas as a couple. He's really into books. He has more books than I can count. He's also a magician so I found a book called "The Art of Magic". It's a first edition book that was printed in 1909. This book is now almost one hundred years old. It cost me about $230 five years ago and can now be sold for about $600. :eek: I also got him a special edition Hobbit book that was printed about 30 years ago. My dad and I made special shadowboxes for the books and he still has them. It turns out the magic book I bought him was the first magic book he ever bought and the Hobbit was the first book his Dad read to him as a kid. It was the only time I've ever seen my honey with tears in his eyes.

Rottielover
December 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM
My moms first grand daughter

SARAH
December 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Actually, I found a book in a remote mountain village in Norway. The village my dad's family originated from. There were meny references in it to our family, as well as old pics. Without telling him, I bought it in July and kept it until Christmas. I believe it was the only time I ever saw a tear in my dad's eye (one only mind you).

Prin
December 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
These are great.:)

For me it was the things I made... I made my grandmother a little sculpture of me hugging her. Took me about 6 hours to make it, and it was an inch tall.

I also made my friend a fishing boat out of paper. It was really detailed. She kept it in a glass box.

Things like that...

:o

HunterXHunter
December 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Wow...I have a long and exhaustive list...

But for a general idea of what I gave, please look under the "WORST gifts" thread :D

eeer...I gotta think about this one...a lot of my gifts were big gifts that were chipped in along with friends so it's been awhile since I've actually given a gift from myself...

trippincherri
December 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
A few years ago a very good friend of mine moved away to the city for college and into her very first apartment.
She had no furniture or kitchen things or anything and she was quite lonely.
So for Christmas that year I got some photos of all us girls together and framed them, as well as new bowls and bakewear.
But the best part of the gift was a really nice wooden recipe box that I filled up with all her favorite recipes.
She used to eat my baking constantly and beg for homemade goodies whenever she had the chance, so I gave her the recipes to make when she was away so she wouldn't forget the goodness of home.
She was so shocked that I would give up my "prized" recipes to her that she cried.

Jackie467
December 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
This isn't a gift that I gave but I thought it was a sotry worth sareing. A friend of mine from college was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 16. She needed a bone marrow transplant to live but none of her family was a match. Two days after chirstmas day she got her transplant from a man she had never met from the other side of the country who happened to match her. Which is like a one in a million chance of someone matching outside of the family. I can't think of any gift that could be better than that. I'm glad to say that today she is cured and is going to school to be a nurse because she wants to be able to help other sick people since others did so much to help her.

Rick C
December 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Every year, in my quarterly newsletter, I tell my clients I won't be sending them Christmas cards . . . . I tell them I'll be writing a cheque to the Mustard Seed Society in Calgary (homeless shelter) for the amount that I would have spent on Christmas cards for them.

Last year it was $500.

I have yet to have any client call me and say they are upset I didn't send them a Christmas card. I have had lots of people call me and say they appreciated the donation in lew of a Christmas card.

I've probably given better gifts if I sat down and thought about it but probably none as meaningful.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

technodoll
December 14th, 2006, 04:23 PM
what a lovely thread! :cloud9:

a few years ago, i had copies made of the best photos i had of my dad & I, when i was a kid... some of my brothers too. i framed a few, they now hang on his livingroom wall. It did bring tears to his eyes, as my parents divorced in 1979 and my mom had taken all but a couple photos with her... it was like giving him a piece of his kids back :o

x.l.r.8
December 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I spend so much time picking my presents I think there all great and if they ever got recycled back to me I wouldn't complain. The one I most remember was to my BIL, he's an art student/teacher and into the dark side, all 'alien' figures and art that I don't even pretend to understand. He had jsut got into snowboarding and has is own boots but no board, we persuaded him to go to Bulgaria with us just before Christmas, when in Switzerland I found out Geiger had 200 boards made and they were to go on sale in his gallery, someone from Champery was one of the set designers so i had the first Geiger board (there all numbered and this one is signed) well he kept on going on about geting his hire board when they all went down to the hire shop and I had got down while they were unpacking, when his turn came they said in broken english "this is bestest board in whole of Bulgaria" and gave him his present, his eyes almost jumped out of his skull. All week he kept face planting because he was staring at the graphics rather than where he was going. It now hangs on his wall in his Gallery, used once and I would laugh at this except I have one of 20 Smirnoff Ice Salomon Definition doing exactly the same (he was doing some design work for a bar in Bristol and he saw it and took it in exchange for being paid. I rode a definition at the time so it was the perfect board for me, however it will NEVER see the snow.:D

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM
The year that my dad died of a heart attack my mom was having a real tough time and freaking out about Christmas. I bought her a plane ticket to see my sister and her kids for Christmas so she could celebrate in a totally different environment with happy little kids around.

Prin
December 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Aww, TeriM, that's really nice. :cloud9:

These are all so great.:)

A cousin of mine took my grandmother on the Via transcanadian tour thingy. He was really young but he saved up for months and months to be able to take her.:cloud9:

erykah1310
December 15th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Guys chainsaw ,all his tools got stolen out of our yard one year:frustrated: and he replaced all but the chainsaw from insurance but there was no record of him purchasing a chiansaw.....

Anyway, I told him it was a jack set and made him wait till christmas morning evening to open it.. he wasnt very excited about opening a jack set anyway... well when the time came it was priceless..... He totally didnt see it coming...

and of course it was bigger and better than his last one.;)

Shaykeija
December 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Mt best gift I ever received was from a friend call Carol. She asked me what I would like for Christmas and I told her, $1 million dollars. a husband and a puppy. On DEC 20th 19,1988, there was a knock on the door. I opened the door and there were a bunch of kids singing to me. Then a old man came in with a garbage bag full of monopoly money. ( She brought me her grandpa, he was a husband, not mine though) At the very end, Carol came in carrying a squirmy, yellow and white puppy, with a bow on her head. I enjoyed my gift until 2002. This was when I lost Akeija to old age. Best Christmas gift I ever have received.:rip: :dog:

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I think the best gift I remember giving was the first year I moved out on my own. I knew my Dad wanted a new pair of binoculars. We live right on the ocean so binoculars are great for watching boats go "up the bay" or whales, sea birds, etc. I was living here in the city and was shopping one day when I seen a really good set of binoculars go on sale for a price that I really could afford, so I got them.

I was sooo excited that I couldn't even wait, I made him open them Christmas Eve night. He opened it and didn't even know what to say. He keep saying "you didn't have to do that, you shouldn't have spent this money on me" My Dad hates getting gifts from us because he feels that we should spend the money on ourselves first, but that was the first time that I was really able to give back.

Also each year I fill a stocking for my parents. I started doing this about 5 years ago or so. I fill it with things that they need, but wouldn't really go buy for themsleves, so it is always things that they really appreciate, and noe I know that they look forward to it. I always get my Dad a new book, and my Mom some really good bath stuff. Things like that they never buy for themselves:o

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Mt best gift I ever received was from a friend call Carol. She asked me what I would like for Christmas and I told her, $1 million dollars. a husband and a puppy. On DEC 20th 19,1988, there was a knock on the door. I opened the door and there were a bunch of kids singing to me. Then a old man came in with a garbage bag full of monopoly money. ( She brought me her grandpa, he was a husband, not mine though) At the very end, Carol came in carrying a squirmy, yellow and white puppy, with a bow on her head. I enjoyed my gift until 2002. This was when I lost Akeija to old age. Best Christmas gift I ever have received.:rip: :dog:

Oh my goodness, that is one of the best stories I have ever heard. What a great friend:)

LynLyn
December 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I wasn't going to make it to my BF's birthday because I was going to Mexico with the girls so I took him to vegas for a four day vacation. It was a happy birthday, and I'm sorry I will not be there (but having a wild time in mexico) present.:D

meb999
December 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
My MIL and FIL moved here from italy in their early twenties. My mother in law never went back to Italy, not even for her parents funerals...Nic says it's because she had such guilt for leaving them behind...

So all she had to remember her parents by were these two TINY (like 2 inch square) photos of each of her parents. The photos were ripped, and had fold marks all over them.

Since I was a photography student, and pretty good (at the time) with photoshop, I had Nic steal the photos and I scanned them into my computer. I worked on those photos for over a month...it was really hard work.

But in the end, I had the image fixed, and I was able to enlarge them. I gave her 2 8x10 photos, each in a nice frame. She was completely speachless.

It's the best gift I've ever given.

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM
wow i feel all mooshy and teary-eyed from all these happy stories... sigh :cloud9:

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
What's the best gift you've ever given anybody?

My presence ? :D :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
December 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
My presence ? :D :shrug:

LMAO Frenchy, that is tooo funny:thumbs up

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
frenchy it's spelled "my presents" :D :D

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM
frenchy it's spelled "my presents" :D :D

no no no , I mean me me me :angel:

technodoll
December 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
i was makin' a funny :frustrated: but not funny when it has to be explained, LOL! (the TD crash and burn of the day :D )

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
i was makin' a funny :frustrated: but not funny when it has to be explained, LOL! (the TD crash and burn of the day :D )

I know I know ! Because you put the :D :D I was making a "funny" too :( but now that I had to explain it .... :p

brandynva
December 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
For my mom's 50th b-day a couple of years ago, we surprised her with a big surprise party. Her birthday is 3 days before Halloween, so we went all out and had a big bash and she had NO CLUE! I have the perfect picture of her walking in the door. It was GREAT! Anyway, I scrapbook when I have time. So I got her a nice album and scrapbooked all the pictures and invitations and stories from her party. She was THRILLED. I had fun doing it too.