Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help

sabgraciepets
December 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM
hi guys i'm new member here. just have a question about my pets. i have tiny little Chihuahua his 3 years 6 months old, his about 3 1/2 pounds. and two cats, one is Persian Breed his 2 years 6 months old, solid white color N beautiful long hair w/ blue eyes. one is a Ragdoll breed 1 year 4 months old, seal mitted color w/ dark blue eyes.

this c'ming week we're going to have a long drive from san diego to texas, and from texas to san diego. i'm curious if theirs anyway that i can do with my pets. i don't have any problem with my Chihuahua he loves long drive we always take him around and he loves to be with us @ car. but the cats? yes we take them to park with their trolley which is 20 minutes away from house. and i don't have any problem with them being in the car or takin' them around the park for at least 4 hours every weekend, but i'm worried about this 2 to 3 days driving i'm just thinking if anyone has a problem with that? coz they said cats' maybe going to get sick. is their anyone can tell me what to expect or not? is their anyone can tell me what should i get as a medicine or something? not sure :shrug:

dustybird
December 14th, 2006, 01:05 AM
It can be done as I have two cat's and every six months we take them on a 3 day drive. One thing we did to make them more comfortable is we made a large carrier for them. They are more calm as they are with one another and there is room for a small litter box, hanging dish of water and a comfy spot to lay down. It is also big enough for them to stand and stretch. We made it out of it sounds odd the largest rubber maid container we could find. Here are some pictures. We screwed the wire top from the inside out so there are no rough edges and secure the lid with bungee cords. Also if your staying in any hotels call ahead to make sure they take pets. We also take bottled water(from home tap) with us as it seems that water in different cities can cause them to have diahrea although we have never had a problem when we have forgot. The litter box is just a smaller rubbermaid container that we can then put into the bathroom in the hotel. If they seem anxious in the car along the way you can give them gravol but get the correct dose from the vet as it depends on the weight of each cat and they may be able to give you something to have on hand for the poops. With feeding we don't feed them while on route but before we leave and when we arrive at the hotel and we try and feed them an hour or so before we leave to help prevent any possible uspet tummies. Also keep some baby wipes and paper towel on hand if they do have an accident. It works for us and the cat's seem to do really well. Also we go over the hotel room and make sure there isn't anything they can get into like plastic bags or anthing they might want to chew on and ingest such as coffee stir sticks. I don't pack toys for the ride just the end of the trip as they aren't interested but if yours are by all means take some for the hotel and we put a blanket of theirs in the carrier and in the hotel as it smells like home.

I don't have a dog so I can't be much help there but I would do the water thing. Also I would make sure to have I.D tags on them just incase something were to happen they know where they can find you(people); and if there is an alternate phone number, that person know's where to call you or cell#.

Sorry for such a long post, hope it was helpful and made sense, take care and best wishes on your trip.

chico2
December 14th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Also,please be very careful while in a hotel or a rest-stop,very often we hear animals getting lost on route,it can happen in the blink of an eye.
Since your cats are used to the car,I don't think there will be a problem,mine would howl themselves in to oblivion:D
I would get a dog-crate,as big as my car allows,to keep the cats together,also allows them to move around a little..
I've never travelled far with my cats,but I would hesitate to give them any kind of meds,hopefully they'll be fine without it.
Good Luck!!

dustybird
December 14th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I forgot one other thing that we do as I did the research 2yrs ago and have it in my little travel book. As I am a paranoid mom I checked to see where different vet clinics were along the way that were not too far off route and wrote down the addresses and phone number's just to have on hand just in case. Yes please as mentioned by chico to lock your doors at all stops (leaving a few windows cracked of course) there are a lot of weird people out there and I have heard a few horrible stories. Not too worry you but for me I always feel it is better to be a little over cautious.

We couldn't find a dog crate that would suit us and one we did find was $200.00 which at the time we couldn't afford for something like that(rather have it on hand for a vet bill). We found that although they were large( certainly tall enough and some long enough) they just were not as wide as we would like. If you can find one great (we were looking at those XXL dog carrier's) I thought about those wire crates but I worried that they would try and squeeze their heads through the bars or get a leg caught and they are soo open and our cat's seem to do better if their carrier is more enclosed. The rubber maid sounds odd I know but I can lay down in it half curled with the lid closed, I am 5ft. Just an option under $40.00 and it fits perfectly in the back of our suv so that if we were to have an accident it wouldn't get bounced around, you do need two people to carry it though. We only use it for really long trips.

I only mention the gravol as my vet rec. it, for just in case one freaks out, it makes them a little sleepy and settles their stomach. I have never had to give it and if it is something your thinking about be sure to check with your vet for the correct amount and when to give, every cat is different and it depends on weight but if they had any health issues in the past your vet can say whether or not it's ok.

sabgraciepets
December 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM
thanks for all respond i really appreciate you guys opinion :grouphug:

sabgraciepets
January 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM
hi guys! we just get back from our road trip and it was peacefully successful. in fact they love it! the only thing i got scared about it is maybe their gonna get sick. the good news is they don't. they just sit at our car passenger sit and sometimes they move to go at their stroller. they only got up when they wanna pee and poop Lol. my chihuahua just stay on my lap through and keep sleeping the whole time. thanks guys for the help and all opinion :grouphug:i really appreciate you'll :thumbs up

chico2
January 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
That's great news,you are lucky you have cats who don't mind the car...if you took pics on your road-trip,we would love to see some,your Chi and your cats are soooo cute!