Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Extremely submissive dog

erykah1310
December 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
One of the cockers I got is terrified of everything...:sad: he immediately submits as soon as you go near him:shrug: how can i win his trust and not mess up with him? I dont want to scare him more than he already is??

Prin
December 13th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Let him come to you when he's ready. :) Sit on the floor to watch tv and things, and when you're predictable enough, he might approach.

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Try making a big fuss of the other dog (I think you had two right?). If he sees the other dog is receptive he might be more willing to approach you.

OntarioGreys
December 14th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Remember he is just left probably the only home he has really known and dumped with a stranger and in a new environment, that can be a huge stressful change for a dog, so fearfulness and lack of confidence can be normal behaviour with some dogs with major upheaval, give him some time without pushing yourself on him, in a couple weeks he may improve a lot as he gets comfortable with you and the new surroundings, I liked to give my fosters a couple of weeks before really doing a personality assessment, as I found some really got shaken up with the move, and they were not really as bad as they initially appeared to be.

Angie J
December 14th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Yup, personal space. Our natural inclination is to cuddle and comfort; A new dog likes to watch and learn from his envoronment. He will come to you once he understands where you fit in with the rest of the pack (and how much the rest of the pack enjoy you).

I always try to give a new dog alot of space... and a Foster I try to ignore as much as possible ...so I wont get attatched......Then, they start inching up to you and poking around you..Doh!!! Another one got me!!! lol.

Angie J

Frenchy
December 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I fostered females from a puppy mill twice. They probably never had any humain contact , they started to trust me by watching the other dogs following me around and being happy around me. When I wanted to pet them, I always sat on the floor, being very relax, one of them liked it when I baby talk to her. Give him time, don't force anything.