Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Favourite Christmas Songs

Byrd
December 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
So, what are your favourite songs to listen to this season... what gets ya rockin' round the christmas tree, or sitting by the fire contemplating, what do we sing along to, or carol to?

For me this year it's:

"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" Sung by Gayla Peevy who is apparently 10-years-old which I didn't know until tonight.
"It's a Marshmellow World" The newer version I think the singer is Matt Duffy
"The Gift" by Aselin Deblin (she's 14 - very pretty sound)
"Baby It's Cold Outside" the original Doris Day, Bing Cosby version.

Those be my faves right now.

My alltime fave is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" but it has to be by a female singer, Martina McBride has a good version (one of my faves of the song).

trippincherri
December 14th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Thats awesome Byrd, I didn't think anyone but me liked
"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas". I was just listening to it today too lol. Wasn't it Telus that made it famous on their commercial last year? Since then I've liked it.

I also like:
-Rockin Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee (I think she sings it anyway)
-Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms
-Jingle Bells by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters

And my favorite is Winter Wonderland sung by Jewel or Trisha Yearwood, but I just like the song doesn't matter who sings it really.

erykah1310
December 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I like the 12 days of christmas, the one on the radio.... "and a be' er in a tree":D

And the Twisted Sister christmas stuff too:thumbs up

Prin
December 14th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Oh too many...

Snow for Johnny, Holly Jolly Christmas (Burl Ives)
Everything Elvis...
Everything Dean Martin
Everything a-religious by Bing (especially Mele Kalikimaka)

and the three songs from the original grinch...

And Dean Martin's white christmas is better than Bing's, IMO...

ooo so many! :o

LynLyn
December 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I love Winter wonderland too

I also like the mariah carey's all i want for christmas song, until about december 18th when it's completely annoying and the only song i hear at every mall, office, and radio station

rainbow
December 14th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I like The Little Drummer Boy. I mostly like just the traditional stuff. :o

trippincherri
December 14th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Oh I forgot to mention if you like instrumentals definitley check out
Trans- Siberian Orchestra, IMO Wizard in Winter is the best or Carol of the Bells.
Love that stuff, its kind of angry but in a good way lol.

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Mary's Boy Child by Boney M is my all time favorite.
Belleau Woods by Garth Brooks
Kenny G Christmas Album

Lukka'sma
December 14th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I almost hate to admit this but at the moment my favorite Xmas song is one that Hanson did a few years ago. I have never been much for little boy bands but they did an excellent job with this. It is a Silent Night medley and it is beautiful.

~michelle~
December 14th, 2006, 11:28 AM
lukka'sma, handson?!?! i though you were cool... just kidding (kinda);)
i dont really like christmas music, except for bobnoxious, and brain setzer. i worked at chapters 2 years ago started christmas music in nov, by nov15 we werent allowed to play anything but!! the guys in music to get back at everyone played the chipmunks chirstmas for 12hrs straight one day!!!!!since then i havent really ever liked xmas music (oh i turned the thread all bah humbug sorry guys!)

Lukka'sma
December 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I know ~michelle~, I said I hate to admit it:yell: :o
I can tell you however that I have never listened to any other song that Hanson has recorded, well as far as I know I haven't anyway. There have I redeemed myself?
I would love to be able to hear Christmas music at work for weeks at a time, even the chipmunks!!! You are one lucky girl is all I got to say.

Lukka'sma
December 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Right now I have my comp tuned in to the AccuRadio holiday channel so as soon as Hanson comes on I will pm you ~michelle~ and you too can be enlightened.

Frenchy
December 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Everything Elvis...

Everything a-religious by Bing (especially Mele Kalikimaka)

Elvis 'Blue christmas' .... I have the christmas songs cd from Bing Crosby but the best one is missing from it ; Little drummer boy by Bing and David Bowie .....and yes I looooove Mele Kalikimaka one ! :thumbs up You can't help but sing it out loud. And 'Do they know it's christmas' Band Aid. Oh, almost forgot ! The one from the Chimpmunk ! :D

papillonmama
December 14th, 2006, 02:08 PM
And the Twisted Sister christmas stuff too:thumbs up

Oh my goodness, I just saw that the other day on Breakfast Television, my little guy thought it was the greatest thing he's ever heard, (he's a rockstar reincarnate). We only heard the one song though, it was their rendition of Silver Bells.

Do you know what other songs are on the CD? I was thinking of getting it for him.

Jackie467
December 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I like the good old traditional "Do you hear what I hear".
But I do like "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". It's kind of funny you would mention how old the girl who sings it is because just the other day my friend and I heard it on the radio and were discussing if it was a little girl or a woman singing to sound like a little girl lol.:p

chico2
December 14th, 2006, 05:17 PM
For sing-alongs I like the Hippo song
For nostagia,Silent Night (Il Divo sing it beautifully)
I also love"The war is over"beautiful song..

Lukka'sma
December 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Oh yes Il Divo do a wonderful job of it don't they.

CyberKitten
December 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I like Aselin Debison's music too - she has a good Christmas album and I am not fond of holiday albums if only because everyone seems to think they have to do them and I think you should only sing something you really like and are into!! (tho the Gift is on Sweet is the Melody.)

That said, my fav holiday songs are (I can't pick just one): include:

Light One Candle (about Hanukkah and the reason behind it) best performed by Peter, Paul and Mary

A Baby Just like You - John Denver on his Christmas in Aspen CD.

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - like Brenda Lee but also performed by the Rankin Family Sisters (Cookie, Raylene and Heather) on their CD.

O Holy Night - the version sung by Martina McBride (those are high notes, I know - have had to do them in public (like Church, synagogue, local stuff) and oh Gawd, there are times I know I won't make them!)

and while it is kind of hokey, I also sort of like (but will deny it if asked) - Christmas in Killarney - tho I prefer the ver by The barra macNeils, not the one by the Irish Rovers,

And speaking of silly songs, as a child, I loved Snoopy vs the Red baron by the Royal Guardsmen - it was a fav gift one year - but then again, Ia also liked all the Snoopy for Xmas one too, lol (and the one after that and the Snoopy for Pres, lol). I am not sure I should admit this either.

Faith Hill has a nice "Where are you Christmas?" - made a few yrs ago. I'll give it time but it is nice melody.

Finally, I really love "D'où viens-tu, bergère". I know of no English equiv - (we used to sing it in school) - but even if you do not understand all the words, it is beautiful and has to touch you!

Byrd
December 14th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I like the good old traditional "Do you hear what I hear".
But I do like "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". It's kind of funny you would mention how old the girl who sings it is because just the other day my friend and I heard it on the radio and were discussing if it was a little girl or a woman singing to sound like a little girl lol.:p

Oh, yeah "do you hear what I hear" is a good one too!!!!

I thought it was an adult doing a child impression, then someone told me that she recorded it when she was 10. :shrug: So many people actually like it, it's pretty popular.

SnowDancer
December 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
For reasons I myself do not understand - Bruce Springsteen's "Merry Christmas Baby" and U2's "Baby Please Come Home".

meb999
December 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM
12 days of Christmas by the Mckensy brothers:

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
Eight comic books
Seven packs of smokes
Six packs of two-fours
Five golden toques
Four pounds of back bacon
Three french toasts
Two turtlenecks
And a beer in a tree

Frenchy
December 15th, 2006, 05:11 PM
12 days of Christmas by the Mckensy brothers:

Great white north ! :thumbs up

wdawson
December 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM
what about the happy honika song by adam sandler:D

chico2
December 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I have the Boney M X-Mas album......somewhere around here:frustrated:

Lissa
December 16th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I like the 12 days of christmas, the one on the radio.... "and a be' er in a tree":D

That one is HILARIOUS!! It's scary how much I enjoy it:crazy:

My next favorite Christmas song is "I Saw Three Ships"

Byrd
December 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM
What about 'Walking Around in Women's Underwear'?

I like the Trans Siberian Orchestra 'Christmas Eve Sarajevo'

Skryker
December 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Ah, so many, many good Christmas-y song memories! (It's helping me be un-Grinchy. ;) ).

My daughter's Christmas Concert the other night brought back some great memories for me. In my grade school, the whole school went every day or so for the last couple of weeks of school into the gym to sing Christmas songs for about an hour. I can still remember sitting in the dark, with the lyrics shone up on the wall by an overhead projector, singing my heart out! My favs from then were Slient Night and We Three Kings.

Then, from grades 4-6 I was in the choir with Mr. Hall who was about the greatest music teacher for kids, ever! Whenever I hear Silver Bells, Have A Holly Jolly Christmas or It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas I think of him and of our Christmas Concerts.

Grades 7 and 8 were music and choir with Miss Wilkinson (also a fab teacher!) who explained the difference between a carol and a Christmas song-that's where I learned Christmas in Kilarney and The Holly and the Ivy. In choir, she gave my friend and I descant parts in Latin for Angels We Have Heard On High and Oh, Come All Ye Faithful. I remember being afraid that I was going to pass out reaching for the high, high notes. :D

Now, I have to hear Do They Know It's Christmas, The Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie and the McKenzie's 12 Days of Christmas or it doesn't seem like Christmas. :thumbs up

Skryker
December 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM
What about 'Walking Around in Women's Underwear'?

I like the Trans Siberian Orchestra 'Christmas Eve Sarajevo'

LOL-I'd completely forgotten about Walking 'Round in Women's Underwear 'til just now! Good one, Byrd!

Oh, and I forgot 'O, Tannenbaum'! I took German in High School, so we sang that one, and Silent Night in German, too.

And Christmas is Coming from the Muppets Christmas special.

joeysmama
December 16th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Skryker what IS the difference between a carol and a song ?

So much great music it's hard to choose a favorite. I love Christmas music. Dean Martin, Pavarotti, Vince Guaraldi doing the original score of Charlie Brown. I have a Big Band Christmas which is very traditional, all instrumental, with lots of brass. Really happy and energetic you know?

This year I've been hearing "Mary Did You Know?" on the radio and I love it. Very moving.

Jingle Bell Rock reminds me of when I was little, with my parents and brothers. Makes me feel very warm and fuzzy and loved. I really feel like I'm 4 years old again when I hear that one.

I can't help but chuckle over the Chanukah song no matter how many times I hear it.

Going to go bake and crank up the stereo !

http://bestsmileys.com/christmas3/10.gif

wdawson
December 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
i saw mommy kissin santa clause.....bruce springsteen

wdawson
December 16th, 2006, 04:12 PM
or was it john couger.:confused:

jesse's mommy
December 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM
It was John Cougar. Bruce did Merry Christmas Baby and Santa Claus is coming to town. Love Bruce! :thumbs up

(And Elvis. And Dean. And Frank. And Perry. And Nat. And Bing. And U2. And...well, you get the idea :D )

Skryker
December 16th, 2006, 06:34 PM
A Christmas Carol is religious-like Silent Night or Little Town of Bethlehem-while a Christmas Song is about toys and Santa and all the non-religious stuff-like Silver Bells or Santa Claus is Coming To Town.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I like the Boney M xmas song
David Bowie and Bing Crosbie the little drummer boy
Charles Brown - Hark the Harald Angels sing - are my three favorites :D

Stacer
December 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm a fan of all the old xmas songs by the old crooners and songstresses. There's something about the quality of recording back in those days. The way they sang. One of my all time favs is Elvis' Blue Christmas, I've loved it since I was a kid, I think it has something to do with the background singers, ah woo ooh ooh ooh. I love it.

SARAH
December 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM
And I just found out Lewis doesn't even know Boney M at all ... catastrophy! Have to fix that!

jessi76
December 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
my fav...

Dominic the Donkey - Lou Monte

heee-hawww-heee-hawww-heee-hawww

Skryker
December 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I forgot "Oi to the World" by No Doubt-it was just on the radio. And Itunes finally has the Crobsy/Bowie Little Drummer Boy. Yay!!:thumbs up