- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


High-handed vets .... ARRRGGGGG

December 13th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Those who have been watching the health forum know that my cat Maddy is sick. I'll spare the re-visiting of all the details but since saturday we've had a diagnosis of a probable UTI, bi-lateral ovarian tumors & failing kidneys.

She's been very off her food and as of monday night I started force-feeding her to make sure she's getting some nutrition. (so 2 1/2 days of refusing to eat and the antibiotics picked up on saturday wwould have barely started kicking in.

I speak with the vet I like on Monday to review her blood tests from Sat. (this is where the infection confimation & kidney issues became evident) I relay that she is refusing food. We agree to touch base in 2 days to review her response to the antibiotics.

I relay on tues evening that I have started force-feeding chicken broth & ask for recommendations to add to the broth for further nutrition. No recommendations food-wise just a recommendation to bring her in to the clinic. I let them know I will make an appointment for Wed/Thurs regardless to evalute her. I pick up good quality wet food & blender it with chicken thighs, chicken livers & warm water. Force-feeding resumes to find out that she is willing to eat this mixture if spoon fed. I get about 1/4 cup into her. (hooray, HUGE change from the past couple days.

I call today to let the clinic know that she is a) brighter b) eating more willingly. Surgery is brought up by the tech I'm speaking with. I indicate that this is not necessarily what I am willing to look at right now.

I get a call back saying that the clinic saying that the clinic owner has been reviewing her file &asking if I can bring her in tonight for blood tests to check for improvement/lack of improvement in the values. No problem, that makes sense to me.

I go home, find Maddie significantly brighter than yesterday (she's starting to chirp again) and further improvement in appetite. I take her in for the blood tests, the tech takes her in back. The tests are done, she's brought back out to me & I'm told that she has lost another .4 lbs since saturday. (She's now 5.2 lbs) Not a surprise to me since I've just managed to get her eating.

Has the clinic owner spoken to me at all during this visit? No. I get home to find the note on my bill "Maddie needs exploratory surgery. If she loses any more weight she will die."

I'm ENRAGED by this kind of a message. Linking these 2 messages together is a horrific pressure tactic. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

She's seriously underweight at the moment, fighting a major infection based on the white blood cell results, her kidneys aren't working well & they want to bring her in immediately for surgery??????? The stress and pain alone will cause her to drop more weight. Never mind that the issues keeping her from wanting to eat are not issues that are going to be resolved surgically!

Never mind the vet in question didn't have the courtesy to say this to my face...

beyond ticked off

December 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM
OMG that is horrible :eek: :mad:

i'm happy you made her eat, keep doing it for a few days and then go get her weighed again... at another clinic. i would never go back there again, if they treat their HUMAN customers like that, imagine how they treat the ANIMAL patients. :confused:


December 13th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah that is a bit much for sure.

Exploratory surgery in an older cat is a decision for you and you alone to make. You should not feel pressured into this at all by a vet.:frustrated: Especially given your cats situation. I believe that I would feel the same as you, surgery should only be an option if your cat is healthy enough to go through it okay:shrug:

That is not a very nice note to read either. My goodness, atleast have the decency to speak to you about it since you are paying him so much:rolleyes:

It is vets like this that make it bad for the ones who aren't in it for the money.

December 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM
yea get a new vet.....ask friends relatives people at pet(food) stores or people here in your area for a recomendation.....but lose that vet.

December 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Same as the others ; get another vet. And I think it's a very good idea to wait until she gains more weight before any operation. Good luck with kitty :grouphug: and to find a new, caring vet.

December 13th, 2006, 07:54 PM
That's outrageous. I can't believe that any caring vet would resort to such tactics! I'm surprised they have any business left if that's the way they handle a difficult situation... Do you have other vet clinics to choose from (I hope!) ?

Meanwhile, :fingerscr that Maddie continues to eat and gets stronger.

December 13th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Actually Maddie is looking better & better tonight I've gotten 3 small meals into her tonight. Her tummy actually feels a little filled out from the food although Madam must be spoon fed her mush thank you very much. (I've added in a can of Medi-cal kidney diet into the mush so its much more substantial food tonight too)

I think I'm just going to call my old horse vet, he expanded his clinic back to including small animals. Its a 45 min drive each way, but I love both him & his clinic partner. Very straight dealing, caring & down-to-earth. I've dealt with them for almost 10 years with horses and trust him a great deal. The younger partner helped me with a major horse injury last winter and was wonderful.

There's closer clinics but I'd rather deal with people I can trust. They've earned it time and again.

December 13th, 2006, 08:21 PM
That's good news all around. Sounds like Maddie has found a high-class restaurant and chef :D I'm glad that you have another vet you trust that you can go to.

Good luck, Maddie :fingerscr You keep on eating, hun!

December 13th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Good luck! :) :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

I honestly wouldn't do the surgery if the kidneys weren't ok. She would have a hard time on the table, let alone the recovery.:o

December 13th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Glad to hear Maddie is eating and that you are dumping the vet she was seeing. I also wouldn't put her through surgery unless her kidneys improve. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr

December 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I am glad to hear that she is improving. I can't believe a vet would stoop so low as to threaten a client in such a way. Pretty much ditto on what other's have said but I just wanted to add that if I was me I would send an email or a call, perhaps even a copy of the reciept with what they noted on it to the college of veterinarians or the ovma(ontario college). They have a complaint department. Also let them know it's not a case where you were unwilling to do anything for her and that you have and continue to do all you can and that the last visit the vet never discussed the test results with you or spoke to you at anytime during the visit (I'm not one for getting anyone in trouble, just this vet needs a wake-up call). They both have websites, can't think of the exact www. at the moment. Not sure what would come of it but at least the vet may get a warning and a reminder on how to treat their clients, because that is not exceptable.

I am glad you have another vet to whom you can go to and trust and that the little darling is improving. Hugs to both of you and please keep us posted on how she is doing.

December 14th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Correction on websites, I was taking a break from wrapping and had a brain fluff. college of veterinarians ontairo (handles complaints) ontario veterinary medical assoc.

December 14th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I would definitely say that the extra driving distance to get to a vet you can trust, is more than worth it. We have about a half a dozen vets within 10 minutes of our place, but decided on one about half an hour away. Our local pet store owner (who happens to be the father of a good friend of mine from way back), told me he had been very impressed in his dealings with our vet. We were also quiet impressed by how kind and helpful they were when we brought in an injured fawn (this was before we started using them as our vet). They bandaged the fawn up (I found the fawn with its neck being chewed on by a fisher), gave her various meds, pointed us in the direction of a center that rehabilitates injured wild animals, all without charging us a penny. Not only that, but their facilities were clean enough to eat off.

So long story short, yes, the drive is definitely worth it. :D