Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing on a Stranger

megd
December 13th, 2006, 06:19 PM
We've had our rescue dog (a two-year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever) about five months and he is truly a great dog. Very well-mannered, calm, house trained, walks well on a leash, comes when called, very, very sweet, etc. However during our walk this morning, I let him off the leash in a park by our house (which we do quite often, probably twice a day) and he was playing with some other dogs. I took my eyes off of him for a short moment and he peed on the owner of the other two dogs he was playing with. He has NEVER done this before. I didn't actually see him do it, and though he was already moving to peeing on other trees/bushes when I got to him five seconds later, I did pull him over to the man and say bad dog. If this was a dominance issue, what would it be over? The man, me?? And if it's not a dominance issue, what could it be? Any advice would help.

Thanks!

Angie J
December 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM
A dominance issue just in general, I think. Keep an eye for it to happen again and be prepared to nip it in the bud!

LOL.... glad it wasnt me...(sorry, but it will be funnier in time..):crazy:

Angie J

Golden Girls
December 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
In reality it's the man that's a pushover ... and ur dog just knew that. I woudn't worry. Dog's piss on me all the time - I'm so not respected in a dog's world :D

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
In reality it's the man that's a pushover ... and ur dog just knew that. I woudn't worry. Dog's piss on me all the time - I'm so not respected in a dog's world :D

LOL, GG--me, too--always the boys! :D If my leg isn't quite convenient, they settle for my running shoes!

Kristin7
December 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I see dogs do this all the time in the dog park, so it's not uncommon.

jessi76
December 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
sorry, I couldn't resist.

** disclaimer - meant as a JOKE only. **

megd
December 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Ha, thanks for the comments! I looked it up a bit more last night and several websites said that when dogs get too excited when running from tree to tree in the park, sometimes they mistake the next vertical being for a target, which sounds a bit more like what might have happened. Chalk the worrying about dominance issues up to a new dog owner! But some of your responses were very funny, thanks again!

Dogastrophe
December 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ha ha ha, this is funny for two reasons ... 1) not my dog, and 2) not my leg! Reading this, I had the image of my Monty walking up to an unguarded bag at the park, giving it a sniff, then proceeding to empty his bladder all over the bag. My wife and I were mortified. Thankfully, the owner of the bag just shrugged her shoulders and said that that will teach her to leave her stuff on the ground instead of holding onto it.