Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have to stop feeding strays! sad

heidiho
December 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Well boyfriend wants me to stop feeding Bob and the other one who i thought was roxys mom but atcually isnt,it is bobs sister our neighboor thinks,here is why there are house rules that say no feeding strays but the resident manager said these r ok because they r like the resident cats and keep others out,well he was ok with it til now because he thinks what if they have soemthing and i bring it in our house and roxy gets it,he believes they r fine and someone else does feed them,which i think is true,,Ny problem is GUILT when i come home they come running rub up on me cry at the door til i feed them.Mark does not believe it is my responsibility to feed them when i should just focus on roxy.I did it for the first time last evening and it was hard,when i went to do laundry they followed me when i walked backto our place they followed.i just feel that it is not fair to have fed them then just stop and ignore them.How do i tell myself that they will get over it and will be fine and that i cant save or help all animals that come my way........

jiorji
December 13th, 2006, 04:34 PM
that;s going to be really heard. From experience, once a feral cat knows a spot where she gets food, she'll always return.

it's not your responsibility but it's a great gesture to do. My parents have feral cats that always come to their door because the previous house owner fed them regularly, and my dad refuses to let my mom feed them, and everytime i go there and see them gather in the evening for food it breaks my heart. :sad:

.......and of course i feed them...

heidiho
December 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
It was so hard yesterday it kills me,will they stop coming to our door if i keep not feeding them..:o

Toonces
December 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM
You are in a tough spot but if it was me I would keep feeding them, I just can't resist, right now we are feeding an abandon fawn and she is doing just fine but we feed her well out of our fence line she can't come near the house and is still part of her world, atleast I hope so. We got some hay, oats and corn from a farmer and take it in the woods beyond our house.

heidiho
December 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
It is a hard thing, imean the rules say dont feed strays but no one up to this point has ever complained.and mark wants to keep it that way,so it really isnt possible for me to bring something in our house from the stryas and give to our cat??

burns
December 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
This story starts 6 months ago.pitchure this,,your walking home ,,its 10'30 in the morning, and you here laughing,and loud noises,I look ,, and I see a bunch of drunk people(near homeless shelter)throwing beer bottles at this little kitten, I mean it had to be only 4 weeks?Anyway, got kitten in coat,and out of bad situation,got kitten home, and I had to amedetly clean its bottom,it was all absessed,and dirty.cleaned up kitten,then I had to deal with the wild side of kitten,,,, it was hungry,I fed it what I could,and it growled like it had never been fed before,I felt so helpless, but I got strong,, and placed kitten in (klennex box) thats how small kitten was.Did not know if kitten would make it,,, No mother, No litter mates, just the cold downtown area.And .nobody wanted it.I played the seriget mother for weeks,, and kitten came around.And the kitten is a little tabby girl,and I named her Sparks that day,,,because I seen a Spark of life in her, and God did to. God placed me there just for a reason, I live alone,im in my 50s ,, and I really needed her in my life. She will have a great Christmas this year.LOTS OF TOYS AND FOOD AND LOVE Glad I came along that day.This is Sparks story.Merry Cristmas to all ,,and to you lovely pets who give us joy all year long. H Burns Canada

Smiley14
December 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Oh Heidi, I can't even imagine how heartbreaking that must be! This may be bad advice, but I personally would keep on discreetly feeding the cats since no one has complained yet. That's hard for me to say since I am normally NOT a rule-breaker at all, but when you have hungry kitites following you around that are already there anyway, that would be hard not to! (I know, I'm justfiying...!) But I do think your health concerns are valid. It is a small possibility that if the feral kitties had something, you could potentially transfer it to your kitty. But if you're just placing food down, I think you are safe. The danger would be more from your handling them and then handling your kitty without washing your hands and then if your kitty didn't have flea treatment or shots, could potentially pick them up. I'm hardly an expert, so hopefully someone here knows more about this than I do. But I believe worms are transferred through contact with infected waste, so I think your main health concerns would be more like fleas...something that your kitty would already be treated against anyway. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

And Burns, beautiful story, thanks for sharing!

Hunter's_owner
December 13th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah I agree with the others, I would go on feeding them. I wouldn't be able to stop it now, they are depending on that food being there:shrug:

heidiho
December 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Well see it is more so my boyfriend that is saying something and truthfully i believe it is because since we have gotten roxy she gets allll my attention,then you know i come home and go feed them ..so i cant really sneak and feed at this point dont want hin getting mad at me..But i do pet them and they rub on my legs and stuff so yeah i would like to know if i could bring something in the house,yes she is on flea treatment now,and her shots are done...But i will take NO chances if that possibilty is there,that would be all i need to hear.but it is the house rules and it is hard to sneak anyway cause all the places are so close togethetr

badger
December 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
hijack!! Oh Toonces, can you get a picture of your fawn for us?

Heidi, I'm with the others, once you start feeding it's tough to stop. Maybe stick to plain kibble and water somewhere away from the house. I wouldn't worry about disease. Just in case, get the strays their own set of bowls.

Toonces
December 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Badger, I would love to but as she gets more independent she is moving farther from the house, there was 2 of them but one got hit by a car:sad: . I tried to get some pics a while ago but she is to fast for me they were just blurs. My husband takes the feed out far from our fence line but every once in awhile my dogs go nuts and there she is right at the side of the house where the fence is close. I will try but can't promise anything.

Now back to Heidiho............

cpietra16
December 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Heidiho, if they are resident cats maybe everyone should get together and have them all vaccinated so they won't bring anything to other cats...everyone lives happily ever after;)

vfrohloff
December 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM
These cats are now at least semi-dependent on you for food AND it's winter which could mean death for these kitties. Not meaning to offend, but if my husband ever told me to stop feeding a feral in winter I'd get rid of my husband. Mind you, my husband knows better than to tell me anything when it comes to animals. :D Seriously though, at the very least try to convince him to let you feed them at least until the winter is over.

Badger, is that your horse?

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM
ok well first believe me they are not gonna freeze here in the winter the lowest it gets here is like 75 degrees.They are fixed but getting them vaccinations well it jsut isnt that easy,i dont even know half the people that live there,i know the lady next door doesnt mind them,but she doesnt have that kind of heart..there are 2 other people that i know of that feed them,so they will not starve.And maybe i need to explain better we live in a condo,there are assc rules and he does not want to start getting people pissed or anything,but it doesnt matter now because this morning he said he doesnt care but he jsut wants me to remember also how upset i was when the other 2 cats disappeared and never came back.he does not want me getting attached which i do realize i need to not let myself either......

chico2
December 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Heidi,I would definetly keep feeding them,maybe just not just outside your house,they depend on you.
Seeing you live in a condo in Hawaii,I am sure those cats keep rodents and other creatures away from the area,probably even the giant roaches(if you have them there)and that could only be a good thing.
As far as your kitten catching anything,I would clean my hands good,the same as I do after petting Bailey.
I had to stop feeding Raccoons in the summer and it was very hard,I know they came for a couple of nights and it broke my heart,but I had to or I would have had 20 raccoons on my patio.

Burns,that was a great rescue-story,you should have started your own thread though.
Thank's for taking the poor little baby in,I am sure she gives you lots of love and cuddles:cloud9:

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM
That is exactly why my neighboor right next door does not mind them,they keep other cats away and bugs rats and such..I know deep down i cant stop and until i get in trouble with the association i am just gonna feed em.also the bowls they eat out of always stay in the courtyard area..i never feed by my house

Kristin7
December 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I would keep feeding them and not sure why that is wrong to do. You mentioned they are fixed so that is good. Is there a feral cat society near you? If so, consult with them. Otherwise, perhaps you could try and find them good homes...

heidiho
December 14th, 2006, 06:59 PM
It is in the house rules no feeding strays,basically it is not an issue right now,but see people on the board that live there are getting sick of the onsite manager who is the one that lets it slide(feeding them)as far as homing them no way ,i have watched people try and go up to them and pet them and they do not go for it at all,it is me mark and the manager there that are really the only ones they will go up to and let pet tham,and that is about it i cant even pick them up,that is where they draw the line.

MadAlbanian
December 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
My mother and I feed feral and abandoned cats. In fact, I just posted a thread today about a Maine coon I took in and need some advice on.

Anyway, do you have a Friends of Feral Felines where you are? They trap, spay/neuter, vaccinate and relocate feral cats to places where they are fed and free (a farm, for instance) or to foster homes who have space for ferals.

You might want to try feeding them in an out-of-the-way spot where people might not notice them. Where are they nesting?

heidiho
December 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM
The program here is they will fix them which they already are and they get put back in the neighboorhood in which they came from.The good news is yesterday when we pulled up of course at this point they know the sound of our car,when i got out the president of our assc was at mailbox and saw how both cats knew who we were and we started talking and i asked if she minded them being around and she said no,and said she loves cats and wishes she could have one but has allergies,so i askd if they ever go to where her builing is and she said no,and told me which we already knew thatthe guy that sold us the place started feeding them,i didnt mention that i continued it,but i said well at least they keep other cats away,and she agreed and said they also keep rodents away,so i think i might be ok with feeding them,she was my concern because she has lived there forever and is the president,so if she doenst mind then i am not gonna worry about it.