Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Flatulance

ConcernedNewMom
December 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Someone told me to add plain yogurt or canned pumpkin to a dog's food if they are having bad flatulance and it doesn't go away by itself (if diet hasn't of course changed).

Any feedback on this remedy?

Toonces
December 13th, 2006, 05:56 PM
How bout a clothespeg on your nose:p just kidding of course:D here is a link for tips on getting doggy fluffs reduced.

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-79.htm

Toonces
December 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM
some more advise here on this site

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/gas.htm

My dogs sometimes get it and boy can they clear a room, not a very plesant situation espically at bed time because Brandy likes to stick her butt right on her dads pillow:eek:

phoenix
December 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Plain yogurt works wonders for my guys. The pumpkin is more for loose stools.

OntarioGreys
December 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
In greyhound adoption we have noted some trends when it comes to gas

Dogs will get gassier if they are under stress

Had a recent diet change, if the food agrees the gassiness will subside on it's own usually within a month

If some there is a ingredient in the food that does not agree they become gassy can include treats, so if the problem goes beyond a month on the same diet , eliminate all treats to see if there is an improvement if so introduce treats only one new kind a week to find the culprit if treat make no difference time to look at another food.

Yogurt is good for stressful periods like bring home a new dog, or for diet changes but for longterm gassiness it is not fixing the problem it's masking it

In some dogs yogurt will make them gassier and a sign they are lactose intolerant

Interestingly many of the old time racing dog trainers swore by buttermilk to help prevent digestive upsets and diarreaha, they were always getting new dog coming in from other tracks or breeding farms so the dogs had to make 100% switches in diet to whatever the kennel was feeding, being the dogs are crated most of the day if diarreaha occurred it would mean bathing dogs,cleaning bedding and the crate and caring for 50 to 100 dogs that can be a lot of extra work, so maybe it does work :shrug:
I did try yogurt with my first greyhound Sunny, he was having problems with the food transitions and it took me a while to find a food that agreed with him, the rest I never bothered with yogurt as it gave me a better sense as to whether their food was agreeing with them