Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Green/yellow eye discharge

dead68
December 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
My Border Collie/Australian Sheperd mix woke up this morning with a greenish yellow thick discharge from her right eye and erythematous conjunctiva. It looks like bacterial conjunctivitis. I live in rural NE California and do not have easy access to veterinarian services. If I were treating one of my patients I would insert gentamicin drops. However, I do not know the other differential diagnosis for canines. Also, I don't know what the pH of dog tears are to know if human gentamicin is compatible. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hunter's_owner
December 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM
If you can't get to a vet, maybe you could call a vet to get their feedback...they would be the best people to advise you on how to treat the eye, and their advice very well may be to bring your animal in, :shrug:

heidiho
December 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Huh!!!! If you were treating one of your patients..Are u saying you are a doctor??

dead68
December 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I am a Nurse Practitioner.

heidiho
December 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Cool, i hope your name doesnt represent your patients..JOKE JOKE :crazy:

dead68
December 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Just an avid listener of the Grateful Dead!

dead68
December 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I have tried two of the nearest veterinary offices, however I haven't been able to get past the front office. I am told to bring the dog in so the vet can look at her. They don't realize the difficulty in getting to their facility.

Prin
December 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
What we used for Jemma was BNPH. You'd have to get it from a vet though.

jessi76
December 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I used an opthalmic ointment for my dog when he had conjuntivitis. it's gooey - not drops. I cleaned the eye w/ a lukewarm washcloth often, and applied the ointment 2x a day. no vet will give you advice over the phone??

Prin
December 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that's what the BNPH is. Sort of a cloudy gel.:)