Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help please!!

kkagan
December 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Hello everyone. I am so glad that I have found you and need some advice. I have already called my vets office and they can't see my dog till tomorrow (both vets are at a conference). Anyway, savannah is an 11 yo pit bull who until the last couple of months has been full of energy. Recently she has been having problems with her hips (arthritis-on nsaids now) and is more tired than the norm. I think that her candle is burning out but she has been eating, drinking, etc. Today, I woke her up to go outside to pee and I noticed that her one eye does not focus on me but wonders up and away. Does this sound like a precursor to a seizure? Is this a sign that her candle is really burning out quicker than I thought? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Kristy

She just had blood work done about 2 weeks ago and that was normal.

jawert1
December 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I would make sure to catalog her symptoms, the times of day, frequency of which they occur, what she was doing at the time to take with you to the vet. I've never had a dog have a seizure, though many here can help with that. Good luck and please let us know how she fares, I hope she's ok :pawprint:

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I have no advice to offer either. I just wanted to say good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr Also, as jawert1 said, it's a good idea to keep track of the times and circumstances every time something happens. Again, good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

kkagan
December 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Well, we went to the vet this morning and her eye is losing pressure and is smaller that the other eye. The pupils, etc are good. Her third eyelid is up so they stained her eye looking for any injury-nothing was found. The eye rolling back is most likely due to one of the eye muscles not holding it in place like it should (hence neurological). Worst case senerio is that her eye continues to lose pressure, gets smaller and does not fuction. The vet said this is not a painful thing to happen. Best case senerio is that it does not get any smaller. Otherwise, she looks good.

Then, on the way home things change. She vomited in the car and in the grass as soon as we got home. Then she started having diarrhea with blood dripping from her. I grabbed a sample and called the vet. We are leaving her in about an hour to bring her back in. Keep you posted.

papillonmama
December 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM
please do keep us posted.

:pray: I hope your baby is okay.

Good luck

kkagan
December 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Well, she was given two shots. One was for the vomiting and the other was for the diarrhea. She tested positive for blood in the stool and negative for parasites. The vet also gave her an antibotic for the colon. Her diet is chicken and rice now.

That was yesterday afternoon, and today she vomited again (2 minutes after I gave her the antibotic- doubt that it caused the vomiting) and she still has diarrhea with blood. Called the vet this morning and I am just waiting for a response. She has also lost about 5 pounds over the last 2 months. I have a bad feeling about all of this. I'll keep you posted, and if anyone has any input on these symptoms, please let me know. Thanks!

angeldogs
December 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your girl.any update yet.

kkagan
December 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM
There is some good news and bad news. The bad news is her eye looks like it has lost a little more pressure (getting smaller). The worst that can happen with this is that the eye becomes nonfunctioning. The vet assured me that it is not a painful thing, and she seems to be ok with it. The good news is that she has finally stopped the vomiting and diarrhea. She has been eating chicken and rice and her appetite has increased. She is drinking some, not as much as normal, but her gums are moist. She is sleeping a lot, but looks happy. She is an old girl and her breed, from what I have been told, only has a life expectancy of 12 years (she is an American Staff.). She has been a loyal friend all of these years and we are loving her and making her as comfortable as possible. My daughter (5 yrs) has even given up her bean bag chair that Savannah has taken over. Thank you all for your support, and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season.

mummummum
December 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
:pray: for Savannah ~ loves and cuddles are sometimes the best help any of us can give our furkids.

rainbow
December 17th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Is she back on her regular food now? If so, how is she doing? Has the vomitting and diarreah returned? Fingers crossed for Savannah and please keep us posted. :fingerscr

kkagan
December 17th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I only gave her half of her normal food and half chicken/rice. I thought I would start off slow, but so far so good. She is back to wanting to sleep with my 3 year old again, so she must be feeling better. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and concerns...they helped!!

kkagan
January 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
I just want to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and words this last month. Savannah passed last week after a turn for the worse. She suffered at least on stroke (I think two), that left her weak. She was having difficulty eating and drinking and became very confused. We have a grave on our property for her and today my children and I are going to make flowers for it. She was the sweetest dog that I have ever known and remained sweet till the end. She will be greatly missed.
Kristy
--Sorry to bring bad news so early in the day.

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
I am so sorry for your loss:rip:

Hunter's_owner
January 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Oh that is so sad. :sad:

Sorry for your loss:grouphug: :rip:

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
So sorry for your loss, kkagan. :grouphug: You gave her a great life and she gave you great memories. :rip: Savannah.

OntarioGreys
January 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I am very sorry for your loss :candle: :grouphug:

rainbow
January 2nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
I am so sorry to hear of Savannah's passing. :grouphug: :candle:

Prin
January 3rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

erykah1310
January 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
Also so sorry for your loss.:sad: :grouphug:

kkagan
January 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Thank you all!! She's a great loss to our family.

chico2
January 3rd, 2007, 08:09 AM
This is the first I read about Savannah and now the tears are flowing:sad:
Both you and Savannah put up a valiant fight,she was a very lucky Staffie to have a wonderful life with you,the love just pours out of your post.
I too am very sorry for your familys loss.:sad: :rip: sweet Savannah

Angie J
January 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
I also lost my Beloved 13 yr Collie this year...... (((huggs))))
In time the wound will heal leaving only the fondest of memories.... until that time, our thoughts are with you.

Angie J