Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meet and greet arghhhh

Rottielover
December 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM
:shrug: Hi all.
Harleys training is coming along soooooooo well, I am very proud. But there is still one thing, that no matter how hard we try, he can not overcome the meet and greet.
He can down stay for along time, even when kids are running, or dogs barking. Huge success. But when it comes the time for people wanting to pet him, all bets are off.
I keep on placing him back down, but no luck. He tries so hard, he sits with his butt wiggling, But this is one task he is having a very hard time overcoming.
Is their anything I should be doing differently..
Please help, have our first prenovice jan 14th...

jessi76
December 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
my dog had a tough time w/ this one also, but not because he's overly friendly, more like "overly aloof".

are you having trouble with meet & greets dog to dog (dogs saying hi to each other), or person to dog (person trying to pat or say hi to Harley)?

Rottielover
December 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM
heck no meet and greet with dogs, do not want to force him doing that.
people want to pet harley, and his butt does not stay. The only time he has ever broken a stay. We have to find something that will work...

jessi76
December 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM
oohhhhhhh now I understand better. have you "worked up" to this? for example... in the class I took which handled this skill....

1. put dog in sit-stay next to you. have 2nd person walk by. get a good stay w/ this.

2. dog in sit-stay next to you. have person walk up, say hi to YOU (not dog), leave. get a good stay w/ this.

3. dog in sit-stay... person walks up, says hi and shakes YOUR hand. leaves. dog maintains sit-stay

4. dog in sit-stay, person walks up, says hi, asks to pet your dog. dog maintains sit-stay.

** with any of the above - IF DOG GETS UP (butt off the floor) - PERSON LEAVES IMMEDIATELY. put dog back in sit stay. repeat.

this is how I accomplished it w/ my dog. it took MANY practice sessions to "build up" the skill. In my class, once permission was given to touch the dog, and the hand was extended, the dog was allowed to stand to receive a pat.

Rottielover
December 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM
In class he is awesome, outside class he is a moron. Forgets everything about meet and greet. he is like a robot in class...

jessi76
December 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM
In class he is awesome, outside class he is a moron. Forgets everything about meet and greet. he is like a robot in class...

lol... they're all that way! good lil doobies in class... get out in the real world and they're bumbling idiots. I'd say practice out in public if possible. I took my dog to pet supply stores nearly every week to practice before we were tested on this. I explained to the store owners, or other customers who wanted to say hi, that we were practicing - everyone was more than happy to help us out and practice our meet & greets.

Rottielover
December 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM
easier said than done when you have a rottweiler though. LOL. I have 1 person in my building who loves him, I will ask to practice on him. LOL

M.Mcna
December 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
My sister has a yearand a half old female Rottie who has the same problem. When it comes to greeting people she can't stop that butt!
Within the family and with the kids it's a non issue. She's been to school too. We keep saying it's because she's so young but I don't think we're believeing that one anymore!:rolleyes: