Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

growl ?

shelleyb
December 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM
so my golden Molly is 5 months old. A very sweet thing, very friendly. She had diahrea over the weekend and is slowing getting her food back to normal (she will happily eat kleenex but isn't too fussy about rice, go fgure)

Anyways, she loves shoes and we are getting better about not leaving them out but we do have one or two pairs at the back door. And about once or twice a day we are telling her to 'drop it' and sometimes she will right away, sometimes it's a game of chase. Anyways...this morning she had my daughter's winter boot and I told Molly to drop it and went to get it (she had it in her mouth still) and she very softly, not at all threateningly growled at me. I told her firmy NO and took the boot. She did the same to my daughter (8) about 15 min later.

My hubby said its not her being agressive but more of a play thing. Is it something I should worry about and what should I do about it (she's never done it before)

technodoll
December 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Sounds like she is testing the boundaries... seeing if she can climb up the social totem pole and be alpha. you and everyone else need to correct her immediately ("no!" and make her give the "prized possession" up, then ignore her for a bit of time). she'll quickly understand her place in the pack and will eventually stop challenging you :)

Angie J
December 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM
A growl can mean different things. Watch the body language and you can probably tell what it means.

Somtimes, I follow my verbal command with a growl of my own. Unless pup is realy ready to challenge you, he will take notice (wouldnt suggest it for your daughter though).... Yea, I know..... IF you think it sounds funny, you should SEE it...lol.

Angie J

Golden Girls
December 13th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Brandi my 4 yr old golden retriever is a growler :shrug: Not a growl growl but if she's content and you bend down and kiss her or even just walk by she'll do a lil growl. Personally I just ignore it. My older golden who's going to be 8 will only growl if she's really mad so I guess it depends on the dog. I wouldnt worry too much, your's is just a baby and is probably play growling.

OntarioGreys
December 14th, 2006, 08:28 AM
It is hard to say without seeing the event, she could have been behaving possessively or it could have been she thought it was a game of tug of war, as mentioned you have to pay attention to the body language, and as well the length of the growl, long drawn out ones tend to mean aggressiveness, especially if a sharp bark or snap at you follows taking it away, shorter or choppy ones is play,

ByronsDad
December 14th, 2006, 10:53 AM
My father taught his dog to growl when they are play-fighting. In one weekend of staying with my parents, our dog has now learned from theirs to growl when playing. But as others have said here, it is a completely different growl from that of an angry dog, or one trying to assert dominance. On the flip side, I find growling myself to be very effective at getting a point across to our dog. Sometimes he likes to push the bounds of what he can get away with, but as soon as I start growling at him he knows I mean business, and stops immediately.

Frenchy
December 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
A growl can mean different things. Watch the body language and you can probably tell what it means.

Welcome to this board Shelley (I know you from another forum) I know when it come to goldens a lot of them growl when they are happy,excited. But it's easy to see, they smile but don't show teeth, and they usually wag their tails.