Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OMG, my dogs just ate a videotape!

vfrohloff
December 13th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I was up here on the computer and I heard a strange noise so I went to check it out and my dogs had a videotape, all crushed up and were chewing on it! Not only am I pi$$ed off, but now I'm worried that they've ingested plastic. The tape had my 18 week ultrasound on it and I left it on the counter to bring with me for my ultrasound today. :sad: I can never replace it. :sad: :sad: :sad: What is wrong with these stupid dogs? I know they didn't do it on purpose, but I feel so unappreciated as a pet owner sometimes. The one thing in the house that cannot be replaced, and they had to help themselves to it. :frustrated: :yell: Guess I'll be calling the vet when they open. Does anyone know if I should be giving my dogs anything at the moment (other than the evil eye)? I heard once that bread is good to give after they've eaten something sharp because it picks up shards of stuff on the way through them, is this true? I could throttle the two of them right now....

cpietra16
December 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I'm so sorry this happened, but I don't think it was done on purpose...and what I'm about to say may not help but I misplaced my ultrasound tape years ago. When Chloe was born I forgot all about the tape because from that moment I started taping the child' and continue to.
I'm sorry I know I'm not helping, but it really is a small part of their lives. Ok I'm sorry I'll shut up now.
Sorry for your loss.

vfrohloff
December 13th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks. I know they didn't do it on purpose, but it still makes me mad. They were never chewers before, but since I started giving them Kongs every day they have become really bad. They get a Kong (filled with something yummy) twice a day, once when I go out and once in the evening before bed. Now it seems that they just help themselves to whatever they can find, it's like the chewing instinct has been awakened in them and now they can't get enough. They stay in the kitchen when we aren't home or when we can't watch them but now it seems I have to empty my kitchen of all it's contents. What are they going to chew next, the toaster? Maybe the coffee maker? They have muzzles from back in their racing days and I'm considering putting them on them when I go out. I'm concerned they're going to really hurt themselves otherwise. It's weird because I'm home much more now than I ever was so they get more attention than before, but their behavior has gotten worse. How does that work?

chico2
December 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
So sorry about the ultrasound,I have no advice to you,but I hope the dogs will be ok:fingerscr
I've heard about giving them bread,I guess it can't hurt..but an x-ray is the only way to tell,lets hope it all comes out in the end(pun intended):pray:

technodoll
December 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I posted this in another thread a while back, but here goes:

actually bread gets quickly dissolved by the stomach's acid, i think what is meant is the cotton-ball trick... works for any sharp objects including cooked bones.

THE PROCEDURE

What do you do if your puppy (or mischievous older dog) gets into your holiday decorations and eats some of the glass ornaments? This potentially lethal mishap can darken even the brightest holiday season.

BEFORE the holiday go to a pharmacy & buy a box of cotton balls. Be sure that you get COTTON balls...not the "cosmetic puffs" that are made from man-made fibers. Also, buy a quart of half-and-half coffee cream and put it in the freezer.

Should your dog eat glass ornaments, defrost the half-and-half and pour some in a bowl. Dip cotton balls into the cream and feed them to your dog.

Dogs under 10 lbs. should eat 2 balls which you have first torn into smaller pieces. Dogs 10-50 lbs should eat 3-5 balls and larger dogs should eat 5-7. You may feed larger dogs an entire cotton ball at once. Dogs seem to really like these strange "treats" and eat them readily.

As the cotton works its way through the digestive tract it will find all the glass pieces and wrap itself around them. Even the teeniest shards of glass will be caught and wrapped in the cotton fibers and the cotton will protect the intestines from damage by the glass. Your dog's stools will be really weird for a few days and you will have to be careful to check for fresh blood or a tarry appearance to the stool. If either of the latter symptoms appear you should rush your dog to the vet for a checkup but, in most cases, the dogs will be just fine.

OK that should take care of the dog's bodies... :o i'm so sorry for the loss of your videotape though, it can't be easy to lose something so irreplaceable :grouphug: but soon the baby will make you forget all of that, you will be sooo busy and have no time to think of "Life Before Baby"!

Maybe the dogs know a big change is on the way, and they are reacting. same as a young child would when the new baby arrives. they want the attention, the reassurance that they are still part of the family. Is there a reason you cannot crate them during the day or when you can't watch them, to keep them out of trouble and your belongings intact and your sanity in check? :o

if i didn't crate my little beaver, we'd be living in a house of shambles, my nerves would be shot and i don't think i'd love her quite so much :evil:

Prin
December 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Is it unfixable? Back in the 80's my bro used to switch tapes sometimes... :evil: Like pop the case of one open and move the tape into it.:shrug:

I'm sorry though. I've been there...:sad: Well, not exactly there but somewhere around there.;)

:grouphug:

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Did they actually destroy the tape or just the case? If it's just the case :fingerscr then maybe, as prin said, the tape can be saved.

I agree with TD that perhaps the dogs know there is a change happening because some dogs are known to be able to smell if someone has cancer.

My dogs have chewed plastic and have always pooped it out. I've given them bread sometimes and usually some pumpkin too.

Sorry about the tape if you can't salvage it. :grouphug: Good luck and let us know if your dogs are okay. :fingerscr

OntarioGreys
December 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks. I know they didn't do it on purpose, but it still makes me mad. They were never chewers before, but since I started giving them Kongs every day they have become really bad. They get a Kong (filled with something yummy) twice a day, once when I go out and once in the evening before bed. Now it seems that they just help themselves to whatever they can find, it's like the chewing instinct has been awakened in them and now they can't get enough. They stay in the kitchen when we aren't home or when we can't watch them but now it seems I have to empty my kitchen of all it's contents. What are they going to chew next, the toaster? Maybe the coffee maker? They have muzzles from back in their racing days and I'm considering putting them on them when I go out. I'm concerned they're going to really hurt themselves otherwise. It's weird because I'm home much more now than I ever was so they get more attention than before, but their behavior has gotten worse. How does that work?

Maybe due to the fact the routine has changed with you be home more often.
Greyhounds, one has to remember they were raised in very rigid routine oriented enviroment. Possibly now with you home more now there is not set routine and that is causing them more anxiety, since they do not know what is going to be happening from one day to the next, you may not be able to put them on a 100% routine right now but see if you can get at least a partial routine, for example yard outings at a certain time, a walk at a certain time, meals at fixed time and seeing you with a semi sort of routine and they may start to relax again, when the baby arrives try to make a routine that will allow time for the baby.

he other thing you mentioned trying to give them more attention with you home more, you should be actually withdrawing attention now, as once the baby arrives you are not going to have the time for them like you do now and they are going to feel put out with the baby.
It's better to withdraw the attention now and work it so it will be less than what you can give when the baby arrives, so that when the baby does arrive you can give some of that attention back again, this way they view the baby as a good thing because they are suddenly more attention then just before it arrived.

Another thing is start preparing your dogs for a life with children in it, a book that is recommended by many greyhound adoption groups for families with children is “Childproofing Your Dog” by Brian Kilcommons

vfrohloff
December 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Well, so far so good in the plastic poopage department. All systems seem to be running fine, I gave them each some bread right after they did it as per my vet's instructions. She said there was no reason to bring them in unless I was willing to do X-rays to see if there was anything in there. I prefer the wait and see approach since they aren't showing any signs of blockage or anything. Anyway, the tape is completely destroyed. Not only did they chew the plastic, but they ripped the actual tape to shreds. No salvaging it.

Is there a reason you cannot crate them during the day or when you can't watch them, to keep them out of trouble and your belongings intact and your sanity in check?

No, there's no reason I can't crate them, and honestly I'm considering it but I think I'll try muzzling them first and see how that goes. They are used to being muzzled; they often were when they were racing dogs. I used to crate them every time I went out (like 4 years ago) but I found that Benny used to poop and pee in his crate a lot, even if I only went out for an hour. Then he'd lie in it and I'd have to give him a bath. He still pees and poops in the kitchen sometimes when I go out but at least it's easier to clean off the tile and he doesn't lie in it. He has separation anxiety that seems to be increased when I crate him and it doesn't matter how long a walk he gets before or how empty he is, he'll still do it.

Possibly now with you home more now there is not set routine and that is causing them more anxiety

They are still on their same routine as always, but I think my being home more is making Benny's SE a lot worse when I do go out. He's so used to me being in the house that he freaks when I leave. Sophie isn't nearly as sensitive and never used to do anything bad until Benny taught her how. I know this because I've left the house and spied on them from the window, and Benny is always the instigator, she just follows. You're right about me having to give them less attention now but it's hard because they come over and ask for it all the time, I feel badly telling them to go away.

Mahealani770
December 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I know this is :offtopic: and :sorry: but, how's things going with Ted? And Im so sorry about your tape. Also, my Nicky continues to pee and poop in the kitchen or in his crate, so I feel your pain on that one :frustrated:

vfrohloff
December 14th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Things are going pretty well with Ted, thanks for asking. For those who don't know, Ted is my feral cat who has become not so feral and more like a house cat these days.:cat: His eye infection got a bit better but now that the treatment has stopped they are bad again. I've called the vet and am waiting for a reply. Ted is still being a bit of a bully to some of the other cats so we'll have to see how it goes, he still is outside at night. He doesn't seem to be using his shelter but it's been very warm so maybe he just doesn't need it. However, I have noticed that someone else has been eating his food. Not sure who, but I'm assuming it's another feral. I feed Ted inside but leave dry food out for him at night, and twice now I've put the food out but put Ted out an hour or so later and the food is gone. :shrug:

As for dogs, the peeing and pooping in the crate is certainly a problem. Not much fun is it? I had posted a while back about my concerns about Benny adjusting to life with a baby in the house. He's just soooooo sensitive to every little thing and I don't know if there's much I can do to make it better for him. I hate to say this, but I think some Greys just don't ever make a full adjustment to life in a house and Benny is one of them. On the other hand, Sophie loves house life and besides being influenced by Benny's SA behavior is a fabulous pet. The last time she peed or pooped in the house was a few years ago, and even then it was because my car got stuck and I couldn't get home for 10 hours. :shrug: Funny how they're so different, eh?

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Glad to hear the poop dept. is okay. :D

Not sure who, but I'm assuming it's another feral. I feed Ted inside but leave dry food out for him at night, and twice now I've put the food out but put Ted out an hour or so later and the food is gone.

UH....OH ;) :D

chico2
December 16th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Vfrohloff,There are plenty of critters out there who would eat any food put out,Raccoons,Possums,Mice etc..to name a few,I know from experience:D
You better put out Ted and the food at the same time,if he is brave enough to defend his food:cat:

vfrohloff
December 16th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I think Ted is going to be fed in the house only from now on. I can't afford to feed any more critters, feline or otherwise. :D As it is now, Ted is in the house from about 8am to 11pm so I don't think he'll starve if he's outside for the night without food. He eats like a horse when he's in and he weighs 13 lbs so I'm not too worried. Besides, he's well on his way to being inside at night. :rolleyes: Even DH kind of likes him now. I spoke with the vet and got more ointment for his eyes. She said that with a chronic infection it can take up to a couple of months to clear up completely and his eyes are much better, just not 100% yet.

chico2
December 16th, 2006, 10:00 AM
It might be difficult keeping Ted inside at night,but the colder it gets the less he is probably going to want to stay outdoors.He's one lucky little kitty though:cloud9:

vfrohloff
December 18th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Well, we're off to the vet with Benny this morning. I think he may have a piece of that videotape stuck somewhere. He's had the runs since yesterday morning and has peed twice in the house since last night. This could very well be behavioral since he's done this on many occasions before out of separation anxiety, and I wasn't home for most of the day yesterday. DH was here, but Benny's SA seems to involve only me. Anyway, it's time for X-rays to see what's going on in there.

Hunter's_owner
December 18th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Good luck at the vets. :fingerscr Hope it is nothing serious.

vfrohloff
December 18th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks! I am nervous that something is really wrong this time. It's just so hard to tell with this dog what is behavioral and what isn't. I can't count the number of times I've had him to the vet for these exact symptoms only to find out that nothing is wrong. Any change in routine sends his bowels into an uproar, so I'm hoping he's just upset that I wasn't home yesterday. We shall see.

chico2
December 18th, 2006, 06:55 AM
vfrohloff...good luck to you and Benny:fingerscr :dog:

jesse's mommy
December 18th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Any updates?

my_baby_smokey
December 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Well, when my dog eats something foreign, they usually puke it up.:yuck:

vfrohloff
December 19th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Well, there's nothing stuck in there. :thumbs up However someone puked all over their bed last night. I'm not sure which one it is, but I suspect Sophie because it had kleenex in it. She has a kleenex addiction so I have to be very careful not to leave any lying around, however last night I think I may have left one on my empty dinner plate on the counter. I was going to fast Benny for the day but I think I'll fast them both just to be on the safe side. Benny is on anti-nausea meds to prevent bloat so they should help him a bit. He had one solid poop last night and doesn't seem to be drinking an excess of water which he usually does if something is bothering his tummy. However, that means that his pooping and peeing in the house is a behavioral issue which bothers me. I am so tired of cleaning up after this dog every time I leave the house, and I am tired of rushing him to the vet and spending all kinds of money only to be told that there is nothing wrong with him physically, AGAIN. We had his separation anxiety under control for a while but with me being home all the time now he seems to have gotten worse. :shrug: I hope he doesn't lose it completely when the baby arrives.

Hunter's_owner
December 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Good to hear that there is nothing stuck.

Too bad there are more problems though. I hope it gets better for you, expecially with the baby coming. Separation anxiety is so hard on both you and the dog.

vfrohloff
December 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Well, both dogs seem better today. It WAS Sophie who threw up night before last. She did it again yesterday morning after eating poop in the yard :eek: How gross is that? I hadn't cleaned the yard up from the day before and I put the dogs outside, then I got a phone call I'd been waiting for from my OB/GYN so I was distracted for a bit. Anyway, Sophie came in and projectiled all over their freshly cleaned beds, all over her own feet and over Benny's back legs :yuck: Both dogs had to have a bath and their beds had to be washed again, not to mention the kitchen floor (thank god it's tile). So I fasted them both for the day and they seem fine so far. I'll give them a bit of rice for lunch and see how that goes. Their energy level and behavior is normal, we went for our walk yesterday as usual and the two of them were ripping around in the yard last night before bed so I think they'll be fine. Benny still had softish poops last night, but that could be from the stress of having a bath or the stress of being thrown up on. I'm not kidding, this dog gets the runs if someone stops by for coffee. God forbid the mailman should actually deliver a parcel into our kitchen, that's good for 2 days worth of liquidous loveliness. :rolleyes:

Hunter's_owner
December 20th, 2006, 07:17 AM
My goodness, its one thing after another with your doggies isn't it. It really is a good thing that you are so devoted to them. I can't imagine dogs like that being in a home with someone who wasn't, it would not be good for the dogs at all.

Again, good luck. Hopefully today will be incident free.:)

vfrohloff
December 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, dogs are kind of like kids sometimes, when they're sick you just clean it up because you have to. Luckily this is only the 2nd time Sophie has ever been sick in the 5 years we've had her. If I had two chronically sensitive dogs in the house all the time I might not be so happy about it, but one I can deal with (most days). I just gave them a little bit of broth and they both devoured it so if that sits well then I'll cook up some rice for lunch and see how that goes. No poops or pukes this morning so that's good. :pray:

Mahealani770
December 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
V- I just can't get over your devotion to all these animals, it truly is amazing. I really feel for you when the baby arrives. It's like you have ALL babies in the house instead of one on the way :confused: I hope you don't get burnt out as you already have so much on your plate and the baby isn't even here yet! Good luck with Benny, SA is a b*tch to deal with! lol :thumbs up

vfrohloff
December 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM
I must say, there are some days when I do get tired of having so many pets and I wonder if it's all worth it. I think we'll be downsizing in the future, meaning when pets die we won't be getting new ones. I don't find the cats to be a lot of work, if I feed five it's as easy as feeding one, and if I clean several litter boxes it only takes a minute more than cleaning one. I don't know that I want more dogs though, I find them an incredible amount of work compared to the cats. In particular I find that Benny is more work than my other 6 pets combined. Not that I want him to go, but he is almost 10 and I'm ready any time. I know it sounds terrible but my life would be so much easier without him on most days. We've given him a good life since his racetrack days and although I'd be sad, I'd be relieved too. But for now he seems in good health, other than the arthritis he has in his legs. And both dogs are feeling much better, kinda makes me think they got into something but I can't find anything around that might have made them sick.

Angie J
December 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
That's funny, because most times I adore my pets and wonder if having kids was more stress than I bargined for. And I'm definately not having any more when mine are gone..lol.

You're a good mom! :)

Angie J

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah I agree. I can't blame you for feeling like you do about all the work a dog entails.
I mean all dogs are a lot of work, but you are dealing with much more than your normal share. I thank you for standing by those dogs when they need you most. Many people, as well all know, bow out when the going gets tough. :( :highfive: for doing what you are doing:grouphug:

vfrohloff
December 22nd, 2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks so much for the support! I don't often talk about how overwhelmed I feel with Benny because I feel guilty for being ready for him to go. I do love the dog, but I also recognize that not every pet I own is going to fit in as well as others, and Benny is one of those that doesn't. I think I've probably put up with more s**t (literally!) than most other people would have and I don't think being in another home would have made much of a difference in his behavior. :shrug: Lately he's gotten that "old dog" look to him, where his spine starts to show a bit when he's lying down and he limps a lot when we go for walks. He's just not so spry anymore so I think we only have another year or two with him at most. If he was younger I might try and find him a new home but at this age I'll just keep him until he goes. I was joking with DH the other day saying that I'll bet Benny will live to be the oldest Greyhound on record, just to spite me!

Hunter's_owner
December 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
I think I've probably put up with more s**t (literally!) than most other people would have and I don't think being in another home would have made much of a difference in his behavior. :shrug:

Well I don't know much about you or Benny, only from what I have read in the last little while, but I feel very confident in saying that you are right about this. That is the reason why there are so many dogs in rescue all the time, it is because most people won't stick by their dogs when things like this happen.

chico2
December 22nd, 2006, 07:37 AM
VFrohloff,I think we would be lying if we did not admit to feeling the way you do one time or the other,that's normal:D
Heck,even with my 3 sons at times I felt like putting them back where they came from,that's humane nature:yell:
My Rocky,whom I adore,sprays on occasion and it's really frustrating,but this is his home,giving up on him never entered my mind..
Do I sometimes wish he wasn't here,yes sure..but of all my cats,he is my soulmate,my shadow and comfort:love:he's here to stay.
I just wish he could tell me why he sprays:confused:

vfrohloff
December 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way sometimes. I almost exclusively adopt older pets and for the most part it works out fine, but once or twice in my life it has been a burden. I don't want to give these pets up because I fear that no one else will take them and that they'll end up in a shelter or worse, so I keep them and hope for the best. I have to say that Benny has been a bit better the last couple of days. DH and I have decided that he is going to take over all care of Benny, walking, feeding, and affection, to try and get him less attached to me. So far it's been fine, except that I have a hard time ignoring him when he's staring at me with those big brown eyes. :shrug: Don't you wish animals could just tell you what is bothering them? I had a cat who was a sprayer and I always wanted to know why he did it. He was the most laid back cat I've ever met, no sign of anxiety whatsoever except for the spraying. If only we could explain to them how much work they cause us by doing that, I think they would stop. Well, the dogs would, not sure about the cats.:rolleyes: