Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog won't eat...

CalvinC
December 13th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Hi,
I joined this forum to try to find out more information for my dog's health. He is presently at the vet's and won't eat and I am at a loss... I work away, but that has always been the case since he was 6 weeks. He is a chitzu/lasso mix sp? sorry, 4 years old. Calvin started ( my wife is home while I work away) throwing up and diarrhea a little over a week ago, after a couple of day's he wouldn't eat; so my wife took him to the Vet. They checked his blood for poison, etc., found nothing wrong with him. After a few day's of not eating at the Vet's, he thought maybe he might eat if my wife took him home. The same night, my wife notice he started having blood from his penis; easy to detect in the snow. I spoke with my wife on the phone and we agreed he should go back to the vet first thing in the morning, ( this was on Sunday). Monday morning he was back at the Vet's. They X-Rayed him and there are a couple of small stones in his bladder, but the Vet suggested that they were small and there was no need to open him up.. also that if you did, he may need this type of surgery every 18 month's or so. He also checked his blood again and urine I believe, result's turning out good; no white cells in the urine, etc. They ran a type of barium through him,( or something of that nature), and it did go though him, to rule out a blockage.
This is a house dog and we live in the country, he only goes out-side to use the wash-room and for walks with us and our other two dog's. The other two dog's are doing fine, other than missing him.
The Vet we take him to is an older gentleman with a good reputation, practicing in the community for over 25 years.
It's over a week since the dog has eaten. I asked my wife to get them to make sure he is getting nutrients. ( In his water, as he is drinking.) She is going up to try to feed him at the Vet's when she's off work tomorrow. I get home Thursday night.
I think I've put in everything I can think of, any help would be appreciated.
I should also mention that Calvin is normally the first dog at the food dish, not at all fussy.
Also, the last couple of day's the Vet has been treating Calvin for a potential ulcer; apparently ulcers may discourage a dog from eating.
Spoke to my wife this afternoon and they are operating on Calvin this afternoon; removing the small stones in his bladder and checking for anything soft in his stomach or intestine that may be causing the problem. I will post the outcome when I find out the results.
Thanks,
Calvin's dad

Calvin's surgery revealed a rubber object as well as some cloth material in his intestine; the rubber object has apparently been there for awhile according to the amount of acid in his stomach. This is reasonably good news as it explains the not eating and the diarrhea, but upon entering the bladder to remove the stones; a mass was discovered which was removed and is being sent away to be analyzed. Hopefully it's not cancer. Poor little guy is having a rough go of it.
I can see by looking back and reading over this I've been writing as this was on-going and we were pretty much doing all we could; which accounts for the lack of input.
I have no idea where the rubber object came from, but it's highly possible it was from a toy. I will have to be a lot more careful when it comes to selecting safe toys. I hope this information could possible help someone else's pet.

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I don't know how your post got overlooked.....sometimes that happens here and I apologize for the lack of replies. :o

Sorry to hear what you and Calvin have gone through. :grouphug: I hope the mass they removed from his bladder is not cancer. :fingerscr :fingerscr

My thoughts are with you :pray: and please keep us updated. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Now that the mass and the foreign objects are removed, I hope Calvin recovers quickly! :grouphug: It's a rough thing to go through--especially when you can't be home.

Sending good healing vibes your way :fingerscr Please keep us posted!

CalvinC
December 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
He's a tough little guy, it's a major surjury for a small dog though. I was looking for additional input as I was unsure if the source of the problem would be identified. It amazes me just how attached I am to my dog's. Thanks for the well-wishes; my wife said the Vet thought it would be unusual if it turned out to be cancer. So we are hoping for the best.
Calvin's Dad

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2006, 08:35 PM
... my wife said the Vet thought it would be unusual if it turned out to be cancer. So we are hoping for the best.
Calvin's Dad

That would be great! Maybe now that the mass is gone he won't get any more stones, either.

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM
That's excellent news that the vet doesn't think the mass will be cancerous. Did he say how long before the results come back? Is Calvin at home with you now and is he eating?

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Glad to hear Calvin did well in surgery. Fingers and paws crossed for a quick and complete recovery.

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Did you get the results yet?

CalvinC
January 14th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Sorry for the long delay, but I just got the results from my wife this evening, the mass wasn't cancer! The mass had to be sent to P.E.I for the testing and it took until today to get the results. When I went home he was a few days after the operation and still not eating, so I convinced the Vet to let me take him home to see if that would help. The vet was hesitant to let me take him as he hadn't had a bowel movement as well(they had removed the blockage); but he still wasn't eating. I took him home and he immediately ate some fried ground lamb, then outside for a bowel movement right away. I took the sample back to the vet as it looked odd and it turned out to be the lining of his gut,(the cast). This wasn't the best sign, but the vet suggested that it could grow back(apparently there are three layers); I was to try to get him to eat any type of protein. He regained his diet gradually over a few days and went back to have his stitches out prior to X-Mas. Now he is back to his old self! He was really a concern for awhile, up until today. My wife told me what the mass was, but I was so happy it wasn't cancer, I can't remember what it was the vet told her; other than there are rare chances of it occurring again.
Thanks for the concern and sorry for the delayed update,
Calvin's Dad

hazelrunpack
January 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Absolutely wonderful end to a long, trying saga! :grouphug: Isn't it amazing what trouble our little :angel:s manage to get into?

So glad that Calvin is doing well! :grouphug:

CalvinC
January 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM
This is a great site, I appreciate the thought's!:)
Calvin's Dad

TeriM
January 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Thanks so much for the update. It is great to hear happy endings and that the little guy is feeling good again :thumbs up :) .

OntarioGreys
January 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I am reading for the first time, I am glad things a going well