Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lactating breast

GaryK
December 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM
HI guys im new here and i found this to be a good site, i have a 4 year old boxer who has never had sex, but her breast are swollen and today she was dripping milk from her breast and they seem to be full of milk, like she's pregnant but she has never had sex, is it an infection or something? and she has gain weight but thats my fault:D im really concerned any advice about this would help a lot.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Could be a false pregnancy. Only a vet would know for sure. She would stop having false pregnancies for good if she was spayed.

Hunter's_owner
December 13th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I agree with Prin. A vet visit is needed, and spaying her would stop this from happening altogether:thumbs up

~michelle~
December 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
please visit a vet and keep her posted, the others are right spaying her will get rid of this for good

GaryK
December 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM
thanks for the help guys, her vet visit will be on tuesday i'll keep you guys :thumbs up ys posted thanks again for the advice

bethaliz
December 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM
If the bitch has never been bred (had sex) than it's most likely a false pregnancy. This is not a bad thing nor is it a cause for concern that you need to get the dog spayed.

In wild packs all the females in a pack go into heat together, only the dominate male and female mate. As the dominate bitch, she would be the main supplier or hunter for her pack, so having to nurse pups is inconvient for the pack. Because of this the unbred female will go through a pseduo or false pregancy and produce milk just like the brood bitch. Once the pups are born they can be tended by any of the other females in the pack, ensuring both the feeding of the pack and ensuring future generations at the same time. This still happens in domestic canines, even though it is not nessicary.

You can certianly take your dog to the vet just to be on the safe side, incase she did mate and you are unaware. But if you can say with 100% certianty, then just limit the amount of water your dog is getting.

Unless you have titled, registered and tested your dog, she really should not be bred and should be fixed. However her weight gain and milk production is not an infection or abnormal and she does not need to be spayed, unless you choose that route.

Good luck with your baby. Keep us posted

MelissaV
December 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Iam so glad I logged onto this site. I had the same question that Gary asked. I have a 3 year old Pittbull named Montana and her breasts are swollen and leaking milk, she too has never had sex and we have a 7 foot stockade fence surrounding our yard. She is only out when there is someone home so it reaaly is almost impossible that she got any without someone hearing something. I read that last reply where the woman was talking about wild packs and it made me think... Is it possible that she is going through this because I gave birth to a child 8 months ago?:confused: I hope that is all it is.:pray: Lord knows I have my hands full enough now with 2 baby's and a sympothetic Dog.:D Well, have a good night, and goodluck to you all and your pets. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
:love: :pawprint: ,
MelissaV