Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

12 year old Lab

coppperbelle
December 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
A friend of mine has a 12 year old lab. She is having trouble with her legs and the vet has tried all kinds of medicines to see if it will help. She tried Metacam and cortisone shots among other things. The metacam didn't work but the cortisone did. She is a good weight and gets lots of exercise. Last week the vet recommended Sasha's Blend and changing her food to Science Diet J/D. Since the food change and adding Sasha's Blend she began to vomit at least once a day. They stopped the new food and Sasha's Blend to see if it would help and the vomiting stopped after 5 days but now she won't eat her old kibble. She will take treats and when I gave her some chicken she ate that very well but won't touch the kibble.

K9Friend
December 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
How long did she take the metacam for? Is she still taking the cortisone?

BMDLuver
December 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Perhaps try Purina Vet Diet Joint and Mobility. I've had pretty good success with it in dogs that were quite arthritic and it doesn't seem to make them ill.

Also, if she could find some shark cartilage treats, they help quite a bit too.

As for the drugs.... Duramax is more effective and less hard on the system than Metacam. My Berner Patch is on Duramax quite often.

dustybird
December 14th, 2006, 03:27 AM
My boss has a 13 yr old lab and she has similar problems with arthritis and her vet put her on previcox, I had never heard of it so I don't know if it's available in canada ( they live in the states), anyway she only has to give a pill now and then when she's really having trouble and the effects seem to last for quite awhile, she's almost like a pup again after she has one. She also stopped eating her food for no reason as she is otherwise healthy(according to the vet). They didn't want to change her food as she has been on it for a long time and her age so we tried soaking her kibble in warm water before giving it to her and it worked, for her. You could also try adding a little canned food mixed with water so she/he doesn't pick out the canned (almost making a slurry and mixing it with the dry). Just make sure it's a good quality or the canned formula of the dry. I wouldn't hesitate to try the purina vet joint diet as mentioned earlier as I have heard good things about it as well.

Best wishes and I hope your friend can find something that works for her.

coppperbelle
December 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
:sad:
They brought her back to the the vet last night because the vomiting started up again. After blood tests and x-rays it was determined that she had a huge mass on her stomach. I guess it was just coincidental that the vomiting started at the same time as the food switch. Sadly the vet said she was probably suffering and that she could prolong her life by maybe a week with medication to ease the nausea. They opted to end her suffering last night. The family is devastated as they really didn't expect this.

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM
So sorry to hear the news. Your friends did the right thing and please pass on our condolences.

dustybird
December 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear the news. My heart goes out to them.

BusterBoo
December 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
:rip:

No more pain, no more suffering.....run free...:rip:

Prin
December 14th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I'm so sorry! :grouphug: for the family.:sad:

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM
So sorry to hear the news :sad: .....please pass onmy condolences to the family. :grouphug: :candle: