Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Kitty

jessicaf
December 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM
We have kittens that are about 6 months old, and then we have a couple of pups about the same age, a little older maybe, they've all been raised together, by the way. Anyway, the pups keep bothering one of the kittens, Sam, and the other day we found her outside. She was barely breathing and she looked like she was in shock or something. We live almost an hour away from the nearest vet, so we figured that it would do her more harm than good to go right then. We took care of her and she got better that night, she was following me around and everything. I came back up here to college the next day, and now my mom (who's been caring for her both day and night) says she is having seizures or something. She gets stiff and her eyes don't react and she throws her head back. She's never had them before, and we don't know why she's having them now. She wakes up from her naps (she's still recovering from the pups) and she has one and then she's ok, she just wants to be held, but she does it just about every time she wakes up. We were going to take her to the vet, but we don't know what they could do for her and we are NOT going to put her to sleep. We figured we'd wait a little longer and see if she gets better, she's a real fighter, and if not we'll take her to the vet to have her checked out. We've had animals for a long time, we've been through many different ailments, including epilepy with our Cocker Spaniel, so we know most of the ropes, but we have no idea what is going on with her. If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Like I said, if she doesn't get better soon, she'll be going to the vet, but if anyone's had a similar experience, please let me know what I may expect. :confused:

jawert1
December 12th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if ANY of your animals is attacked by another then it needs to see a vet ASAP. Many cats and dogs do just fine together, but it sounds like you've got a prey drive situation on your hands that's gone beyond your care. Please see to it that this kitten makes it to a vet to be treated, and I would also strongly recommend looking into spaying/neutering your other animals as well. Good luck, I hope things work out :pawprint:

M.Mcna
December 12th, 2006, 04:56 PM
When you say your pups are bothering one of your kittens, what do you mean by bothering? Are they just being to rough or they full out attacking her?
When you said you found her outside and in a state of shock was she hurt by another animal or just alone that way?
I'm curious because we had a Scottish collie for about three years and her health seemed fine. One day, after a lot of activity, she went into a seisure. We always played pretty vigourously and it never happened before. The symptoms you desciribed were the same. Our vet said to keep an eye on her and if it happened again to bring her in for testing. They kept happening even when she was calm. We found out she had epilepsy. She was with us for years before her first seisure. I may be WAY off here but have you concidered this to be a possibility?
I'm not sure how stress effects animals but the seisures might also be stress realted.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Maybe the dog hit her head so hard she has a head trauma? Have you brought her to the vet yet?

heidiho
December 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Really are u kidding WHY would you not be taking her to vet???????? I just dont get it..............

jessicaf
December 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM
To the first guy, I know my babies, and they aren't preying on each other. The pups are just bigger, they don't know that they can hurt each other. And most of our females are spayed, thank you. But like I said, the vets here are part time, and we don't want to take Sammie on a long trip until she feels a bit better. Thank you for your time, just know that she is being well cared for, we're just waiting to see how she does now.

To #2, the pups play with her. We try to keep them away, but it's like they pick on her. You see, when we adopted a new pup (it's like we run a shelter :love: ) the new pup played with her like that and she went into shock, she was much worse off than this time too. Lately, the pup was doing it again, and we've been punishing her for it, but one morning we found her, she was alone, but we think the pup must've been playing too rough (it tries to pack her like she's her pup). There is no history of seizures in her family (we have her mother, etc), and she just started now. I did suggest that she may have epilepsy, but it's not very likely, it never happened until after this.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM
If it's a shelter-like operation you have, you might want to think about separating the cats.

And #2, you might want to start neutering your pets. Otherwise, I don't think the shelters would appreciate you claiming to be one.:shrug:

heidiho
December 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Til she feels better i still dont get it,what about if she passes away in the meantime.:frustrated: :frustrated:

M.Mcna
December 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM
It sounds like separation is the right thing for now.:sorry: , it's never fun to worry about things like this and it's probably confusing for the kitten and the pup. Everybody just wants to play and it must be hard for you to scold the pup and keep them separate.
Do you think this might affect thier relationships with other dogs and cats later on? That would be a shame for your happy home to end up being divided.:(

Blathach
December 12th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Your cat needs to see a vet. We are not vets on this board and cannot diagnose over the internet. This thread will now be closed, please do not reopen closed issues.