Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am i overfeeding my kittens?

livinirie84
December 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I am the same poster as the "8m/old kitten poops right next to the box" I am starting to doubt myself because i think that my kittens poop too often (an average of 3 times a day). Also my girl cat has recently gotten really fat and she is eating all day long. They have two food bowls because they are locked in our bedroom at night. Both of the bowls always have food in them and then my boyfriend feeds them wet food (about half a can of friskies gourmet stuff) about every other day. The girl cat eats almost everytime she passes her bowl of food. They also drink alot of water but im not worried about that. Can someone let me know if this is normal or if i should do something differently? Thanks

jessi76
December 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Both of the bowls always have food in them and then my boyfriend feeds them wet food (about half a can of friskies gourmet stuff) about every other day. The girl cat eats almost everytime she passes her bowl of food. They also drink alot of water but im not worried about that. Can someone let me know if this is normal or if i should do something differently? Thanks

friskies is much like "fast food", IMO. chock full of yucky stuff and empty calories. you should consider switching to a better quality food. it's worth it in the long run - less trips to the vet and better overall health (and digestion!)

as for water intake, it's good they drink often, however watch for signs of excessive drinking which can be an indicator of health issues. if you notice they drink excessively, you may want to get them into the vet for a checkup.

just my 2 cents.

livinirie84
December 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM
friskies is much like "fast food", IMO. chock full of yucky stuff and empty calories. you should consider switching to a better quality food. it's worth it in the long run - less trips to the vet and better overall health (and digestion!).

Thanks for that info because i was not feeling too good about feeding them that stuff. Does anyone know if pooping an average of 3 times a day is too often?

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 02:10 PM
With a better food, it probably wouldn't be as often as 3 times a day. With food with fillers and such, a lot of it just comes right back out again:shrug:

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
my cats poop maybe once at night and once during the day.

but your cats shouldn't have their food bowls filled with food all the time for self serving. You should take it away and give them food at set times to make sure they don't overeat.
and it shouldn't be more than 3/4 cup worth of food daily. I think it's a full cup for a kitten

Maya
December 12th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hi, your question reminded me of this thread "10 Secrets Pet Food Companies Don't Want You to Know"http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27297 which may help you out. Constant eating and lots of pooping is likely because they are naturally over compensating for the lack of nutrients in the Friskies which is just going through them, there should be less eating and pooping with a better food. In my opinion it is a good idea to feed a main meal of wet once or twice a day and also leave a high quality crunchy out all the time for snacking (every cat has different requirements based on age, metabolism, size and activity). When feeding a healthy diet there shouldn't be a problem with over eating and lots of pooping, unless there is some other issue going on. You could try searching/asking questions in the food forum for ideas on which brands you might try. In the long run it will be cheaper, also don't forget to switch over slowly to avoid stomach upset.Also my girl cat has recently gotten really fat and she is eating all day long.This could be a sign that she is developing something like diabetes or thyroid problems, so I would definitely consider getting her in for a checkup.
They also drink alot of water but im not worried about that.Increased thirst may just be due to high sodium content in the food but again I would consider a checkup to rule out health problems. Sometimes increased thirst can indicate something really serious like kidney failure or diabetes, which seems to be more common in cats that haven't been on a very healthy diet. Good luck. :fingerscr

vfrohloff
December 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Pooping 3 times a day can be normal in kittens, and even in adult cats. They're kind of like we are, some go once a day, others go a few times.:D I would certainly recommend changing their food to something of a higher quality. What is happening now is that they are eating food that is of low quality and are therefore pooping a lot of it out because it's not useable. They are also probably eating more of it to try and get the nutrients they need. Higher quality food is more expensive but they will eat much less of it so it actually ends up being cheaper in the long run. I don't agree with feeding only at certain times of the day and then taking the food up. Cats aren't like dogs, they won't eat themselves to death. I feed canned once a day and they have access to dry food all day long; none of them are overweight and all are healthy. It is important for cats to be able to "graze" in order to keep their energy and blood sugar levels stable.

chico2
December 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I agree with VF,cats are pickers,they eat a bit and come back for more,cats do not gulp down the food like dogs do.
I've always had good quality dry food available to my 3 cats 24/7,+canned twice/day..