Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

...and the BEST gift you've ever gotten was...

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM
of course this thread had to follow jiorji's "worst gift", to balance things out :cloud9:

ok one of the best prezzies... my first doberman. my (now -ex)husband gave me a little golden cardboard box, and in it was some cotton padding and he had written Mokka's name with gold stick-on letters on the cotton... i was sooo happy, i cried! my dream come true. that day we started looking for a breeder... this was Xmas 1991 and Mokka was born on Jan 21st, 1992. I will never forget that present, which in fact has lasted a lifetime.

:rip: my sweet boy...

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I have had a few, but the best one off the top of my head was my 1984 Firebird:cloud9: I have always liked those cars as long as i can remember, When i first saw the car i started dreaming of having it... but it was too expensive at the time..... I passed by that car everyday for 8 months.... THen it dissappeared :sad: I was shattered................ But only dissappeared to my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I still have it but its finished now. ( And i have since moved on to bigger motors,standard and T-roofs :D )

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 11:48 AM
wow erykah! a car! :eek: :cloud9: which year was this, and who bought it for you?

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Christmas gift or any gift?

Any gift was when my man got me each of my favorite flowers in the order that I liked them. (Like 5 yellow roses, 4 pale orange roses, 3 daisies, etc) For a man, that's a ton of effort.:cloud9:

For Christmas... ooo My pengy! When I was around 6, we went to Ikea before Christmas and they had these stuffed penguins with red scarves. They were $12. One was missing the scarf, so he was on sale for $8. That was the only tantrum I ever threw in a store. I couldn't believe that my coupon cutting dad wouldn't get this pengy who was on sale! I kept screaming, "But he's on SALE!!!" :D What a horrible day.

And then a couple of weeks later, I opened my gift and it was a tupperware. :frustrated: and I opened the tupperware and there was Pengy all scrunched up. THE pengy. The one with no scarf. :cloud9: I still have him.:cloud9:

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
wow erykah! a car! :eek: :cloud9: which year was this, and who bought it for you?

It was 4 years ago and Guy got it for me. I drove him insane with talking about the car day in and day out. He asked the guy to keep it in his front yard for a while do bother me, then move it one day. The guy did it too, they had a blast driving me insane. I was soooooo depressed when it was gone.:sad: Only to show up at my place just before christmas.:D I'll find a pic,it wasnt even the nicest car out there, but to me it was the BEST

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 11:54 AM
awwe erykah, that is a great story! :cloud9: too bad the car didn't last longer than it did, though :o

prin, now you must post a pic of Pengy! you must! :crazy:

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
lol ok. I'll go take a pic. But you have to give him a chance, ok? He is after all more than 20 years old.:o

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
prin, have you ever read "The Velveteen Rabbit"?

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/williams/rabbit/rabbit.html the best children's story ever told, IMO... and not just for kids.

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Heres the only picture I have of the Bird that is digital ( well the best one anyway) I had sold it when i got the maro ( below) and the guy i sold it to gave it back:eek: so..... we took it for one last joy ride in the field :o together... It overheats like crazy and the floor fell off.:eek:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/bird.jpg

I graduated to this..... an 83 Z28..... still getting this one rebuilt... blew a bunch of trannies :o
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/maro.jpg

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:00 PM
ooo I've never read that. A few years ago, my dad asked about pengy, and I said "He's still kickin'" and my dad flipped. "HE?! HE? What do you mean, HE?" :D Apparently, after all these years he had no idea that my favorite stuffed animal was a boy. He would never have allowed it.:D

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
awww TD that's a tear jerker :cloud9:

my best gift....hmmm I like gifts that aren't "expensive" but a lot of thought goes in them...even if they're something from the dollar store:rolleyes:

But my bestest friend and I always get each other silly gifts that have a story behind them or they're comical in a way. so those are always fun.

i'm thinking of a specific GREAT gift..but i'm drawing a blank...will get back.;)

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 12:07 PM
erykah, those are cherished memories for sure! "the bottomless car that came back" :D thanks for the photos :thumbs up

prin, i just read the story again... why does it always bring a tear to my eye? :frustrated: :o i'm such a softie.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Here's my Pengy. He's in the window to make him brighter so you can't see his flaws.:D

His only really bad health problem from old age is cataracts from the dryer. :o
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/IMG_4950.jpg

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
well look at that old gent! he's still kickin' all right! now don't let the kids get near him :eek:

why haven't you let him join the Happy Feet cast? teehee!

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:12 PM
lol for some reason every dog, including the two puppies and now this one, just KNOW he's off limits.:D

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Prin he's the cutest pengy ever! Thats sweet:cloud9:

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks.:o

I'm surprised he lasted this long though. I mean, no stuffie ever lasts this long anymore- and NOTHING from Ikea lasts this long either.:D

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM
awww Pengy

my grandparents once gave me this cheap looking monkey one Xmas but man....that was my favorite toy!!! Because i love my grandparents so much :yell:
but i don't have it anymore..i think it stayed at the house and i wasn't able to find it when i went back to get some stuff from there before the neighbour took it over :(

but every Xmas was great at the grandparents (presents or not) cos it would always snow and the house always smelled like wood (cos of the stove) and the tiny tree was so cute and...i miss those moments:sad:

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I love Pengy. So cute.
My cousin who is a couple years older than me got a stuffed toy one year, he called him "Cud". Cud was a big part of his life, and he is still kickin like Pengy. He even suffers from the same ill fate of cataracts from the dryer:o

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM
:grouphug: yeah... there are some things that suck about growing older :( i too miss the christmas family get-togethers at my grandparents (both sides of the family). everyone seems so distant from each other now, it's just not the same. grandparents were the glue that held everyone together :sad:

ok this is supposed to be a happy thread so... yeah. i loved the yearly present of meat pies, laughter, chaos in the kitchen, roasted turkey and loud voices over christmas music - it's truly a part of who i am, for always :angel:

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
My favourite gift was from my Aunt and Uncle last year. I have become really close to them over the last 5 years or so, well since my bf and I got Hunter I guess. They have always been invoved with dogs, and have had up to 5 goldens at a time. They are where Cassie came from. Anyways last year they gave me a framed sketch of Hunter. They brought a picture of Hunter posed really nice, with his "nice head" look and got it done for me.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah, eh? Why is it that when the grandparents are gone, the family goes too? IMO, as a dog person, it's because there's no clear alpha anymore, so each of the next generation becomes alpha of their own pack rather than conceeding such that the family would stick together.:o

:offtopic: :sorry:

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
We still all get together for Christmas eve dinner.:cloud9: and the whole family goes to visit my gramma that night too. ( we cant take her out of the home though, she panicks and gets really really confused) so everyone buys her a little something, we sit in her room and let her open the gifts ( she gets about 20 stuffed toys and dolls in total) It really lights up her eyes, she doesnt know who we are but she LOVES her toys:cloud9: so she pretends to know who we are.....

Christmas is a great time of year.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
They brought a picture of Hunter posed really nice, with his "nice head" look and got it done for me.ooo do we get a pic of that too? :o

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
ooo do we get a pic of that too? :o

I can see what I can do about that:D

x.l.r.8
December 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I have so much fun picking out presents and gifts for everyone I'm usually to exhausted to enjoy my own, also I love the look on the persons face when they realise what the present means, my best presents given were a toy plane to my Dad (he always had a fasination for aircrafts and he used to build perfect replicas, and fly them, remote control gliders and the likes) so I got him a model of a plane ( i think it was a warrior or cessna, I get confused on the different names) we usually go for a drive on Christmas to a park to meet up family, this year we all got together in the airfield (he was just so happy to be at the airfield he didn't suspect a thing) then the instructer met him at the gate and took him to an airplane for a familiarisation look at the plane, he thought this was all great, next he asked like a 6 year old if he could sit in it, the answer was "how else are you going to fly it" he went white with shock and started shaking, he climbed in as we told the instructor if he likes it stay up, if not bring him back, he said he would be back in 45 minutes as he would be sure he would enjoy it, well an hour passed and we joked about him hijacking the plane and running off to France, the another 30 mins passed and we started looking worried, we also wondered how much fuel the little planes held. Then after 1 hour and 45 mins a spec came into view, I swear as he got out of the plane he had a tear in his eye, he said it was the coldness but I don't believe him. Now it's all we hear about 6 years later. For my sister i sent her a postcard of Niagra in the winter (she went there 20 years ago in the summer) i also had arranged with my nephews father to allow him to come over, the neices father wouldn't let them leave the country :mad: , my Dad had access to there stuff so he went and packed and brought there stuff to his house for Christmas, then he gave her the post card and she knows how much I prepair for Christmas was wondering what I else I had done, she half expected a mini niagra in the garden, but she burst into panic when they all got a cab to the airport to come over for Christmas day. In return my sister brought me a pen on a string (something I would never buy myself) and she explained she heard I never use the cross pen in fear of loosing it at the hospital, and being bright pink no one would steal it unless they wanted to look like a retard, so she decided while I could look like a retard, I would be one with a pen. And yes, I still wear it with pride, and I even had to buy another one to steal the refill out of. My wife is impossible to buy for so this year I'm buying for me and giving to her, we have been needing a new camera for ages, she is going around Europe for summer, so i tend to buy the best I can afford, so instead of doing what she would usually do and buy the cheapest to get through, i'm buying her the digital camera I would buy myself and giving it to her. It will probably back fire like the ballon ride over London (she's fine in an aeroplane but I found out she throws up in ballons :shrug: ) but I can only do what I can. The best present I ever got, well it's the one I remember the most, my father got me a remote control car, one of the ones you use normal batteries with it must have been when I was 10-11, I ran to the shed to get some batteries and tripped, the car went crashing to the ground and broke, the wheel came off and the steering didn't work, my father sat in the shed for hours fixing it and making a new steering link out of an old bolt cut down and retapped to the right thread. It was then I thought "my Dad is the greatest, he can fix anything, and even on Christmas day" he didn't get mad, he was kind and patient (not like when I accidently mistook the grass spray for total weedkiller and sprayed his lawn) and just smiled, i remember his exact words and i use them everytime I hand over the keys to another car/vehicle I repair, he said "go on, have another go" the present was not the best, but who it came from was. Now he gives me socks :shrug: and unbreakable stuff despite I'm now the one who now fixes his broken stuff.

TeriM
December 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Wow xlr8, feel free to add me to your christmas list ;) . Does your wife like spas? I always tell hubby that if he can't think of anything a spa certificate is always always welcome.

My favorite childhood gift was my leather riding boots when I was about 14. I had drooled over those for about a year and half before finally getting them. My favorite adult gift was my engagement ring when my hubby proposed at Christmas.

Rottielover
December 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
My best xmas gift was given from myself. My EX drove me 7 hours in a blizard snow storm in 2004, Dec to go and pick up Harley....That was the best christmas ever

Rick C
December 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM
We were poor back on the edge of a small, dusty prairie town so when I got a tube of modelling glue for my birthday a few days before Christmas I was naturally a little puzzled (but grateful because you can certainly do a lot with a tube of glue) . . . . but then the model airplane kit arrived on Christmas Day and that filled in the blanks.

That was swell because I loved to build model airplanes.

Got ski boots for my birthday once. The skis arrived on Christmas day.

The one I remember though was as a small boy I went into our tumble down garage one day and found, much to my amazement, pushed up against the wall, a table hockey game!!!

Now this was very confusing for a small boy . . . . so I went outside and asked my dad about it and that is the terrible day I learned that Santa isn't real. At first I denied it . . . . but then I accepted.

But it was great to get that table hockey game.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

x.l.r.8
December 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I think from having no money it makes you think very hard about presents, if I ever got a gift certificate I would be mortified, i would rather a lump of coal, at least someone went and got it. Now we are financially sorted I love spoiling my family rotten, however the thought is ALWAYS there, more so than before as it would be to easy to just go into a store and buy aanything and just put a name to each gift without thinking. My sister will wake up on Christmas day with a chocolate orange on the end of her bed, her boyfriend is under strict instructions, our Mum used to do it to us every year and it's been 3 years since we had a chocolate orange, he has to wrap it and then cover every seam in cellotape (she used to do that to slow us down :D ), my sister will instantly know who it came from. My poor father has his car in the garage needing a new engine, little does he know not only does it have it's new engine but it's silver now (it's the colour he wanted but couldn't find one) he's even seen it and asked the guy if the owner wants to sell it, he has no idea yet. I am yet to see what I get this year however I'm a book fanatic so my sister aleways gets a kick out of going to used book stores closing her eyes and grabbing a few, or letting the kids pick them, it always leads to an interesting selection. My wife brought me a ski pass this year ( she hasn't worked for 3 years and it was her first pay cheque, to say thankyou for supporting her since moving to Canada).

chico2
December 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Oh,Oh a sobstory coming:sad: my mom and i were soooo poor,but when we got the Salvation Army package,with colouringbooks and crayons,ONE orange and some choclate,it was like heaven...boy,times have change!!
Erykah,I too got a car once from hubby,a brandspanking new 1984 V8 Camero Berlinetta,the absolute best present ever.
I kept it for 10yrs and when we traded it,I cried as it left the drive-way:sad:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM
My favorite gift growing up was my very own dinghy - it was a rowboat and a sailboat all in one - I even named it crackerjack, I would always sail it out to far and someone would always have to come and get me in their zodiac. :D - one time I even sailed into a freighter. :eek:

Last year my parents bought me and hubby 4 round tickets to Puerto Vallerta paid for all our food and babysat our kids while we went out on our own.:D

Byrd
December 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
THE best gift ever.... Willow!!!! :love:

Frenchy
December 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
It was when I turned 21, I was still living at my mom's and she always set up the breakfast table before she went to bed. I got up at 6h00 to go to work and there it was, on my breakfast plate, in a velvet box , a diamond solitaire (diamond ring) I cried .... I looove that ring, I never took it off. See, her brother (who's a jeweler) made it for their sister when she got engaged. But she sold it to my mom when she got divorced. My mom looove this ring and knew I loved it too. That's why I cried. I couldn't believe she gave it to me!

meb999
December 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
ok, this isn't the best gift...but a funny gift.

My BIL (actually Nic whole family) have been bugging us to get married and have kids for a looong time. So last christmas i open the gift from my BIL and SIL, it's a bottle of Jack Daniels, a Barry White CD and a red thong! I laughed my butt off....even though I was little embarassed...nothin' like getting underwear from your inlaws!! :o

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
omg that is so inappropriate, meb! Only in Quebec! :D

Byrd
December 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
HAHAHAHA :D :clown:

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
more please! these are awesome :cloud9:

trippincherri
December 12th, 2006, 11:12 PM
First off I would like to say I just sold my car this summer and was devastated. I bought it 5 years ago and LOVED that car. It was a '88 5.0L Mustang, Viper Red in color. I loved driving that car fast EVERYWHERE, and had so many good times with friends in it. But this year I turned 24 and suddenly realised I didn't need to be blowing half my budget on gas for her and ended up selling it.
It was rusty and needed minor repairs but it was my FIRST car. I was crushed when they guy came and picked it up.
Now I drive a 2002 Nissan Sentra lol, total granny car.
But reliable and cheap on gas. Ahhh growing up makes you realise a lot of things.

Anyway great gifts...I don't really have one extreme favorite, though my mom and dads gifts I love the best.
My dads in a wheelchair and stays home most of the time, so my mom does all the shopping and always buys very practical gifts for all us kids.
We get bath towels,socks,kitchen gadgets,fishing lures(we all love to fish),candies,one year an axe (cause we have a wood stove and need to chop wood) all kinds of stuff then she crams everything into a big tupperware container(that way you have a big storage container too) and its always like getting this giant surprise box lol.
The thing I love most about it is my parents don't have a lot of money, and she stresses out about Christmas EVERY year, and she's always trying to find that perfect gift...but in the end gives us our surprise boxes, then she apologizes profusely over not getting us something better then a bunch of mix and match items in a box. She doesn't realise we end up using her practical presents all year round and look forward to seeing what she's gonna come up with the next year.
I love the fact that she bought these items thinking of things that we would use everyday and enjoy rather then something extravagant to sit on a shelf or be pushed back in a closet.
If it weren't for her....I wouldn't have the BEST bath towel collection this side of Canada I'm sure.

jiorji
December 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM
ok, this isn't the best gift...but a funny gift.

My BIL (actually Nic whole family) have been bugging us to get married and have kids for a looong time. So last christmas i open the gift from my BIL and SIL, it's a bottle of Jack Daniels, a Barry White CD and a red thong! I laughed my butt off....even though I was little embarassed...nothin' like getting underwear from your inlaws!! :o

HAHAHAH that's something my friend would do. I love those smart ass gifts!

technodoll
December 13th, 2006, 08:56 AM
love the fact that she bought these items thinking of things that we would use everyday and enjoy rather then something extravagant to sit on a shelf or be pushed back in a closet.

those are the BEST gifts - you are very lucky, indeed! :cloud9:

HunterXHunter
December 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM
The best gift was: Hunter!!!!

And the funniest gift was on my birthday a few years ago, my friends took me out to dinner at East Side Mario's and the whole night we had been loud and creating a scene...which was a setup (not that we're not loud normally...) but they had given me this remote controlled version of my dream car, a pair of center court, lower level Raptor's tickets, and another gift...

They told me to stand up and just rip apart the wrapping (and I didn't suspect a thing). So I held it up, got a firm hold on the wrapping paper and immediate ripped it all apart in one swift motion only to find myself holding up porn in the middle of a family restaurant (I was so embarrassed). Plus, we had been making a scene for most of the night so many people were looking at us when this happened (did I mention I was very embarrassed?). :p

Prin
December 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
lol greaaaat friends you've got there.:D

SARAH
December 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/atozfitness/Lew%20%20%20Sarah%20Pets/IMGP0723.jpg

SARAH
December 15th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Erykah,I too got a car once from hubby,a brandspanking new 1984 V8 Camero Berlinetta,the absolute best present ever.
I kept it for 10yrs and when we traded it,I cried as it left the drive-way:sad:

Me too, I get so attached to my cars (most of them) I'm always sad to sell/ trade them. Like my old 1986 Honda Civic that I had to let go at age 21 (the car was 21, not me) because of an electrical breakdown (unfixable), the CR-V 1st generation I kept for 4 years feeling every day that it was as new as the first day I drove it from the dealer's, and my "old" Rover 820 Si 1993 model, in British Racing Green with tan leather interior ... it had an alarm linked to the horn which would go off for no apparent reason sometimes when I parked it and walked away from it, as if asking me not to leave it:sad:

But the Mustang (2007) we have now is fun, and convertible! ("just" the V6)