Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

busy dog owners...sort of a poll thread

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 12:38 AM
i'm sitting here bored and i'm thinking many people on this board have dogs but yet lead very busy lives.

so just to amuse me....do you

1. have a dog walker
a. someone who loves animals and walks your pets for you for money
b. someone who also has a dog( ooooo...what kind?? :D ) and takes your dogs out too when he/she walks his/her dog because more dogs are more fun on walks.
2. get up at say 5 am to run the dog til 6 am so that it'll be content and sleep the day off and then go for another run when you get back from work

this is free for all to answer:D this isn't to judge anyone's method of keeping a dog busy, i'm just curious

I don't have a dog............yet..........but I would probably choose #2.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:40 AM
3. have older dogs who are worn out for a week after a couple of hard play sessions on the weekend.:o

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 12:44 AM
4. spend a few hours after work throwing frisbee's and other fun toys to wear them out... and then they get to know that when I come home its major play time.

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 12:44 AM
:frustrated: don't ruin my poll...lol joking;)

i forgot to add "3. i quit my job to stay home wiht the dogs"...that way hazel can answer this too hehe

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Yeah, that too for me (what erykah said), but I don't have to tire them out every time anymore. Like the day Lily played with Jemma and Boo for about 4 hours was enough for Jemma and Boo for at least 3 days. A little play here and there, maybe, but nothing major.

(And jiorji is convinced to get an older doggy :pray: )

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Idont think its gonna matter how old Kita and Miek are, they are both VERY energetic breed/mixes... Im doomed to throw frisbees for ever!!!!!!

But I like it as much as them.:D

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:49 AM
lol I hope you change arms.:D 10 years later, erykah's right arm is massive and the left is all scrawny and atrophed.:D

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I thought i had it all figured out for a while there, I was gonna bat tennis balls in the feild.... well that didnt work, I learnt that they were waiting for the motion of a throw from my arm, not an idiotic swinging motion, so they didnt even notice that a few balls went SOARING through the feild.:frustrated:

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 12:53 AM
(And jiorji is convinced to get an older doggy :pray: )

that's not why i'm asking this...i'm not afraid to put the time to stand there and throw a ball for 2 hours and run around...ok unless it's december/january lol

I'm actually quite pleased that i found out that the park near me has this enclosed grassy area and i've seen dogs there the other day. So when the time comes...that is where we will go play :D

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:55 AM
lol 2 hours? Bwaaahahahaaaaa! Dream on! :D A lot of puppies need even more than that, and EVEN more in the winter. :evil:

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 12:57 AM
it was just a random number you know:rolleyes:

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Happy 1500th post jiorji

TeriM
December 12th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I thought i had it all figured out for a while there, I was gonna bat tennis balls in the feild.... well that didnt work, I learnt that they were waiting for the motion of a throw from my arm, not an idiotic swinging motion, so they didnt even notice that a few balls went SOARING through the feild.:frustrated:

You gotta get one of those ball chucker things. I throw like a girl :sad: but with that thing I am truly amazing :D . Plus it saves on the dog slobber on you hands.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM
lol Boo killed all the ball chuckers...I think he can see neon pink (the color of the ball chuckers) and it makes him angry.:D

jessi76
December 12th, 2006, 07:56 AM
5. have a wonderful man who takes the dog with him every afternoon to work, where he plays with 2 other dogs ALL afternoon, gets home at 6pm - eats his dinner - and literally is PASSED OUT by 8pm. (both the dog & the man)

Kristin7
December 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Right now my dog is at doggy day care. Playing with other dogs wears him down. When it's not winter, we sometimes go to the dog park, and he plays with my cat a lot. He's not so much interested in fetch unfortunately, but we do that a little in the house w/ his toys. Not interested at all outside. Also, we go for walks and when the weather gets nice again, I will try and start running with him. It's hard and I often feel like i'm not doing enough for him, and he isn't even 'high energy'.

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
so just to amuse me....do you

1. have a dog walker
a. someone who loves animals and walks your pets for you for money
b. someone who also has a dog( ooooo...what kind?? ) and takes your dogs out too when he/she walks his/her dog because more dogs are more fun on walks.
2. get up at say 5 am to run the dog til 6 am so that it'll be content and sleep the day off and then go for another run when you get back from work

all of the above except 1a :D not all at the same time of course. gotta vary the routine :dog: neither of my dogs play fetch so my arms are good, he he he!

papillonmama
December 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM
:

i forgot to add "3. i quit my job to stay home wiht the dogs"...that way hazel can answer this too hehe

this is my answer too, dogs, kids, whatever. i quit my job to be with them.

Lissa
December 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hmmm...how about: servant to my dog, go out when he wants for as long as he wants and train like crazy in dog sports to compensate for his energy level??? Some people have mentioned a time when the exercise he gets today will last him a few days but I am not sure about that:crazy: He is incredible lazy in the house so long as he's had 3+ hours of activity!:o

I could never trust a dog walker or even my closest dog friends to walk Dodger (he has too many issues LOL). I am generally the one who takes my friend's dogs out with Dodger:rolleyes:

that's not why i'm asking this...i'm not afraid to put the time to stand there and throw a ball for 2 hours and run around...ok unless it's december/january lol

I am sure that was said as a joke but I think those 2 things can really cause problems for dogs and their owners (I've known plenty of owners who do just that). First of all, you generally need a breed (or mix) that has a desire to retrieve endlessly for that kind of exercise (and that is pretty much out of your hands as even some retrieiving breeds are not that keen). To guarantee that kind of retrieving desire, you will need to go with an incredibly high drive dog which I don't think is wise for most dog owners in the city. Throwing a ball is not adequate exercise IMO because there is no stimulation and really no interacting in between you and your dog.
Secondly, I'm amazed at how many dog owners literally seem to stop taking their dog(s) out in the winter, my dog park is empty in the wintertime unless its a mild day. A dog's exercise needs don't change in the winter (unless they are not physically capable of dealing with the cold)...and if you've conditioned your dog to retrieve a ball for 2hrs and take that away in the winter, you will end up with behaviour problems.

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I'm amazed at how many dog owners literally seem to stop taking their dog(s) out in the winter

we're the oposite here... we take them out less in the summer as the heat really gets to them. they eat less and move less when it's warm :rolleyes: ah the joys of double-coated nordic breeds, LOL! :D

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah us too. Hunter only gets exercise on the hot days of summer if he is going for a swim. He really doesn't like the heat very well, and prefers to lie in the shade, or in a cool house. Good thing we live in Newfoundland where the summers don't get very hot:rolleyes:

In the winter, I love nothing more than snowstorms when Hunter and I can go out in the snow and play and run. He loves to catch snowballs and eat them:D

Cassie on the other hand doesn't need exercise like Hunter does, so her patterns don't change too much with the seasons. But she doesn't like cold weather, and she really doesn't like the wind, so many days here in windy Newfoundland she doesn't like to go outside at all:o

jawert1
December 12th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I get up way early with my 2, we go for a LONG walk/run (my knees won't take solid running) and then I'm home at lunch to take them out again, prior to my return home from work, when we do another LONG walk. I looked into a dog walker, but they're too expensive here, so I just make do since I work 15 min. from home :)

x.l.r.8
December 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM
i think most people will do whatever it takes to make the best of a bad situation and are not afraid to adapt, i.e. one week they might use a walker, where another they might find they are tired from activities. I work 12 hours a day, but the flip side is I only work 3 days, leaving 4 days of playing, training and walking. My wife only works for 4 hours so he (at max) spends 3 days in a crate for 4 hours. I have a work friend who wanted a dog for the longest time and actually put a request to rescue mature dog who would go 12 hours alone. She got her baby (a mature x-breed), her owner used to crate her 15 hours a day for 6 days a week, my friend has her in the house for 12, gets up a 5 am and goes for the longest walk rain or snow, and has made sure she has no 2 shifts together, the end opf the shift see's her change into her hiking boots and go on the walk agian. She also decided that isf she had problems she would get a walker, 4 months later and things are great for the both of them. So my friend would be definatly a 2, but I do anything to minimise his time alone, but if things got out of hand Wal-mart would lose it's customer service employee and I would pay my wifes salery to look after him for the weekend. So i guess I'm potentially a 1a, but he loves going for the ride to take my wife to work (that means a long walk on the boardwalk and a chance to meet some fine ladies (while I get to just stand there holding the leash)) and then in the evening he loves the oppertunity to wait for all the workers to leave (my wife is ALWAYS last out) and come and pet him.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yey Lissa for "keeping it real" in post 19.:highfive:

Lily doesn't fetch... I have no idea what to do with her.:p

Oh and we're wintery people too.. The colder the better for my doggies, it seems, and now that both have Muttluks, who knows how long they'll last outside.:eek:

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
The colder the better for my doggies, it seems, and now that both have Muttluks, who knows how long they'll last outside.

prolly long enough for you to lose all feeling in toes, fingers and nose :frustrated: or does that just happen to me? :eek: :o

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
all of the above except 1a :D not all at the same time of course. gotta vary the routine :dog: neither of my dogs play fetch so my arms are good, he he he!

you forgot to mention what dog the beans join for the walk...as per my survey instructions :o hehe

Kristin7.........doggy day care...that sounds like fun:D

Lissa....yes that was a joke:rolleyes:
I was just trying to prove to Prin that i;m not afraid to go outside and do whatever with my dog to get exercise.

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 11:54 AM
prolly long enough for you to lose all feeling in toes, fingers and nose :frustrated: or does that just happen to me? :eek: :o

Nope, happens to me too:rolleyes:

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
you forgot to mention what dog the beans join for the walk...as per my survey instructions hehe

grumble grumble, rules ruuuuules! :frustrated: :D

they join my dogsitter's pitbull, Byron. and whoever else they meet on their way! :dog:

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Nope, happens to me too:rolleyes:

Me too! And my chinny chin too.

Kristin7
December 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
jiorji - yes, he has lots 'o fun at the daycare place. All day long playing w/ other dogs. And some rest time too. He comes home exhausted. I wish they had a webcam so I could watch...

we don't usually make it to the dog park during the work week, but weekends are sometimes ok, depending on the weather. The park is closed at dark so no time to make it there as I'm usually still at work when the sun goes down in the winter :( But, it's nice walking around the neighborhood looking at all the holiday lights. Although my dog Guinness was terribly scared by a big blow-up snow man in someones front yard the other night...

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
TD we remember Byron from those pictures you showed :D

Prin and all you who freeze for the benefit of your dog's happyness....PICTURES PICTURES!! we need a thread called "dog owners as popsicles with happy dogs who are warm and don't care about the cold" haha:crazy:

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:39 PM
lol go for it.:D

This one is really crap quality, but you get the idea.:D

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
if someone reminds me to post photos tonight... i can do. nothing on my work PC here :o

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah I am like TD, I need to get to my home computer to find some of those snowstorm pics.

Esaunders
December 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Let's see…

Winter routine

Sunday: dog park (1 hour +)
Monday: Play in the yard/leash walk/obedience work
Tuesday: Play in the yard + leash walk
Wednesday: Day care (= run & wrestle for 9-10 hrs)
Thursday: Play in the yard + leash walk
Friday: Play in the yard + leash walk
Saturday: dog park (1 hour +)

If he's especially energetic or my day is going to run late, he comes to work with me & stays in the car until lunchtime. I walk him on my lunch break and back he goes to the car until I'm done. Works pretty well although my gearshift/parking break occasionally pays the price.

As soon as there's anough daylight to make it to the park in the evenings again, the day care will stop & the park visits will be 5/6 days weekly. (1hr + per visit)

mummummum
December 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I get up at 5 am or earlier, take Bridie and Ceili out for a quickie then Declan out for 1/2 hour brisk walk. At 7:30 I usually take the grrrls to the park so Ceili can lay around and Bridie chases balls for 1/2 hour, then I take Declan out for a quickie. I have a dog walker who comes on workweek days for a "quickie" for all. When I get home we do the quickie/ 1/2 hour thing again. After supper and a bit, I take Bridie for a speed walk ~ usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then Declan the same. Ceili goes out for a leisurely 1/2 hour stroll. Before bed is anywhere from a quickie to 1 hour (depending on the weather and my "mood")for Bridie and Ceili, then Declan.

On the weekends the morning routine is the same but we squeeze in a couple of three hour ravine/ valley (or beach in the nice weather) walks as well as forays to the park for ball-play for Bridie and I walk Bridie and Declan together at least once for one hour or more at some point during the weekend . Friday nights and weekend evenings I usually skip the after dinner walk.

And that is why ~ for an old broad I got a h*lluva set of gams !

joeysmama
December 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
6:30 am Cooper begins low growling sound to rouse the daddy

7:00 daddy in the shower, Cooper snuggles into the vacated space in the warm bed

8:00 - 9:30 Breakfast, walk and play time

From there on it's explore, eat parts of the house, pull all the cardboard recycling out of it's bin and deposit it around the house--most embarassing bits where company is sure to find them (boxes that mini pads were in, things like that) Find the quack quack and make mommy play on the floor. Get stuck in the living room and bark for help getting up the one step. (Unless he's done a bad in there and wats to get away from the evidence. Then he's moivated and can get out of there without any help at all:rolleyes: )

Lunch time MUST be spent in the mama's lap in a deep sleep for a good hour each afternoon.

So Coop doggie dog is not lacking for attention. But when I'm going to be gone for a full day my friends teenager who loves doggies comes over to walk him and play with him.

Wait aren't you just supposed to have them pts if you get busy ??? (Sorry. Bad joke. I was just being sarcastic about the horrible person whose doggies were lucky enough to find their way to Erykah. Erykah is an :angel: )

meb999
December 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
#2 ... i guess....

although, unlike Lily and the beanies...Buster HATES the cold, so we can't walk for too long... So I do alot of running around the basement and playing 'find it' (I hide his toy and he has to sniff it out) and playing fetch at the park. And obedience. Even mental exercise can help tire out a dog.

For us, the only thing that brings peace into the house, is a healthy mix of walking, running, playing, fetching and obedience. :D If one of those is missing..he's just not tired out enough to leave us alone :D :thumbs up

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM
So I'm the only one with super lazy doggies? :o

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Nope, Hunter and Cassie are very lazy doggies. Neither likes to get up before lunch time and Hunter will often go to bed by himself around 10:30 or so:shrug: :D

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 01:50 PM
PHEW! :D I was feeling like it was me.

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah and I was thinking that it was just me, starting to wonder if I was the lazy one or if there was something wrong with Hunter:eek: :D

TeriM
December 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Lucy is a lazy dog. She would stay in bed until noon with me no problem. When she was younger if she didn't get a minimum one hour walk she made our lives hell. Now I can miss the odd day or two but after that she begins to get into trouble. And she is 10!!!!

Riley is generally good as long as he gets a good walk daily. This week has been tough because of the neuter we are just doing on leash walks and he really really really wants to run off leash. He goes to day care at least once a week but that is more for socialization. I also have a flexible work schedule and can take the dogs to lots of my clients.

Kristin7
December 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Guinness is somewhat lazy, which is lucky for me or I'd have a huge handfull, being single w/ a full time job! He doesn't wear off a ton of energy playing w/ humans, though. After a few days it builds up, but usually he's ok unless I've had an extra busy week. He naps all day long so all his energy is used for a few hours at night, during the week. He gets tired and goes to bed around 9:30 or 10 at night, though. Also, sometimes when we're walking, he takes a break by lying down in someone's yard.

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
:D I don't know any big doggies who don't calm down fast.:shrug: Jemma's a little more antsy than Boo, but still not like what these people are describing.:eek:

TeriM
December 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
BYW Prin that is some jump that Jemma can do. How are you kitchen counters :evil: .

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 01:55 PM
She has never gone onto the counters. She's a good girl.:cloud9:

(don't ask me why or how... No idea.)

joeysmama
December 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
So I'm the only one with super lazy doggies?

Nah ! Joey was so lazy, he would play for about 10 minutes every month or so. We had to really cajole him out for his evening walks. He liked them once he got out there, but he was lkeis mama in the exercise department.;)

TMac
December 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Great non-poll poll, Jiorji!

We definitely get more walkin time with Tobes during the summer when there is more daylight after work. That being said, we make the most of the winter months by the occasional lunch time ball-fest (my husband works at home and also has a better throwing arm than I do) and Toby gets his ya-yas out at doggie daycare on Fridays. I agree with Kristin - it is soooooo great to see him exhausted after a long day of playing with tons of other dogs! And yes, this is the same Toby that had major 'issues' this summer with other dogs! Yahoo! :cloud9:

We're weekend warriors in the wintertime too - we'll take toby to a snow-covered baseball diamond and let loose with the tennis raquet and ball! Occasionally we've been known to do 6-8 hour hikes some weekends, but those are few and far between.

I'll try to post a pic or two - one is Toby playing with his daycare buddy, Benson. The other is Tobes on a hike with us (notice he has lost a bootie, as usual). I don't know why but he tends to photograph with his eyes blinking! DUH!

jiorji
December 12th, 2006, 05:02 PM
hehe i think he lost his boots on the hike. I guess that's why he looks like he;s missing something

Frenchy
December 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM
It depends on how many doggies I have ! :D When Daisy was still with me :sad: I use to walk them all even if I had a foster (that would make 4) . I didn't have to put Daisy and Sam on a leash so there was only Bailey and foster. Once I get away from my neighbor's house (feral cats hanging out there) I would unleashe Bailey and depending on the foster I would "set" him/her free too. It's always after supper. Only 20-30 minutes but since they are not leashed they run all over the place and get a good work out when we go into the woods (there is a tiny trail but I call it extreme cross country!:D ) Let's not forget the play time outside when I get home from work too. And play time when they get together in the living room ... :eek:

phoenix
December 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Sam is only 2 and Maia 1 so they are still full of energy. They need a good hour of RUNNING to calm down ( a walk won't do it). So, off leash to a park or field... luckily Sam is a fetching addict. Maia has no interest in fetching but lots of interest in chasing Sam and attacking him so that works out. We walk in the fields and play fetch for an hour or so in the morning and that does them... a short walk in the eve is ok then. BUT... they spend all day tues and all day Thurs on the farm with my parents, where they are out all day and come back exhausted. This helps out a LOT. If I didn't have the farm, then I would for sure need a dog walker (especially since I am preg, I am tooooo tired to walk for so long and having the two of them is a bit dangerous now in case I fell...)

SARAH
December 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM
5. have a wonderful man who takes the dog with him every afternoon to work, where he plays with 2 other dogs ALL afternoon, gets home at 6pm - eats his dinner - and literally is PASSED OUT by 8pm. (both the dog & the man)

Or have one who walks them early in the frozen winter morning (while I get breakfast and prepare his lunch for work) and also in the dark winter afternoons/ early evenings. All I have to do is take them for one walk at the warmest part of the day :) If the weather is nice and I have the car, I sometimes take them to the park for an hour. They are good girls, sleep most of the time in the office while I work, or on the couch when I take a break.