Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

one or two dogs

maggiemay
December 11th, 2006, 09:38 PM
hi,
I already have a basenji mix who is almost a year old now, yay!, and i was debating on getting another dog (rescue of course). I have always lived with someone else who had a dog and now that i live on my own i think that my maggie gets lonely and is wondering where all the other dogs went. I just dont know how much of a hassle it would be to introduce another dog as my own who is older (i dont much enjoy puppies...too much energy). My dog is kinda a dominant one and im afraid if she doesnt like the newcomber itll end bad. I of course would want it to be a male...she tends to take to them better than other females.
well my main question is how much more work is two dogs compared to one? I love walking my dog and playing with her, but i like it when she has another friend besides just me.
also should the new dog be smaller, same size, bigger.
Has anyone else done this and have any suggestions, should i take her with me to pick out the new dog and let her do it? i just dont know?

technodoll
December 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM
two dogs is LESS work, IMO :o they entertain and play with each other and that relieves alot of stress on all parties. whether i take one or two out for potty breaks and walks, i still have to go... they share the toys and leashes and all that so not much to buy. yes the food bill doubles and vet bills are more expensive, but if you can afford it... go for it!

better to introduce the potential new dog to her on neutral grounds (such as a park) so there are no territory issues, and you'll see if it's a good fit or not... i don,t think size matters very much, it really depends on personalities. perhaps a younger dog would also be better, since she's the dominant one, she would likely keep her rank - assuming the male dog is of a submissive temperament. good luck! :thumbs up

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, you either need a submissive or aloof but respectful male. A little younger helps, and smaller helps too. With Jemma and Boo, I think it works because Jemma, the dominant one, has higher energy than Boo. If the submissive one is higher energy, the dominant one can get a little snappy.:shrug:

the gang
December 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM
lol oh boy you would go crazy at my house!!!! we just addopted a new little one, that makes 5---- min pins for my house, i say if you can save them please do so!!!! brenda a:grouphug: nd the 5 pins.

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM
lol oh boy you would go crazy at my house!!!! we just addopted a new little one, that makes 5---- min pins for my house, i say if you can save them please do so!!!! brenda a:grouphug: nd the 5 pins.

Hey, congrats, brenda! The Pack sends doggie shnurfles and slobbery kussies... :D

Definitely, find a neutral place to test out the temperaments, maggiemay. A good rescue will help you sort out which dog would do well with your basenji. Luckily, your basenji is young enough to still be a real play-baby...that'll make it easier, I think. When we expanded our Pack, we knew they were meshing as a social unit when they began to play with one another. They were all young, too--between the ages of 1 1/2 and 3. That helped, because they all still wanted to play--and playing is a great way for them to get to know one another and work out their status in the pack. I do not, however, recommend getting more than 2 dogs at one time in that age range... For a while there the whole adolescent Pack thing was overwhelming--I've got some DVDs of them at play that are so high-energy the DVD player keeps flipping open! :eek: well, okay...so that's a bit of an exaggeration...but not much :crazy: Things have settled down now that half of the Pack is gorwing into the "couch potato" phase of English Setter adulthood...

As to how much extra work two might be over one...LOL...it's been so long since I've only had two that I can't even remember! :eek: I do know that 6 is about the same as 3... :D

dustybird
December 12th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Ditto on what other's said. Dogs are pack animals and if money and room isn't an issue I say go for it. I just wanted to add that most shelter's will let you bring your dog with you to meet a potential new friend in one of thier outside enclosed play area's. It would be on neutral ground and I think what they usually do is both dogs are introduced on the leash first for a bit to check each other out and for saftey. If that goes well one or both dogs can then be let loose to see how they interact. If it's something you decide I would call first and make sure she is up to date on her vaccines and getting the kennel cough vaccine might be a good idea since she would be comming into contact with a strange dog.

SARAH
December 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Absolutely, we brought Sheba and Dani to go pick out a kitten no less! We were in a back room with the three of them loose and it worked out beautifully - proof being that we now have the kitten and the three of them are sleeping, eating and playing together.

Agree on the room/ money comments. Never found that the expense was the greatest addition to adding an animal though, and in any case just think of all the extra love you get from one more furry friend!

BabyJessy
December 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
MaggieMay,

I just asked almost the same question on this forum - I also have my anxieties about bringing a second dog into the picture because my Jessy is a little dominant :queen:. I was given very good advice, which was basically to volunteer to provide a foster home for a dog in need. This way you can observe how your dog reacts to this new friend and if it doesn't work out for whatever reasons, the dog will be adopted. It's not a long-term commitment but it could be if all goes well!

:thumbs up

Frenchy
December 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
to volunteer to provide a foster home for a dog in need.

Or you can just ask the rescue if they have a dog that will be ok with yours too. If your dog is dominant, be careful to not foster another dominant dogs. For the welfare of your dog and the foster dog.

maggiemay
December 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM
wow that is some really great advice, i think i will definately be adding another dog to my pack. I think that im going to start volunteering at a local animal shelter and just keep an eye out for the right one, plus i really jsut cant get enough of the canines. Then i think i will foster one until i decide that there is no way i could part and then jsut keep him. thanks again for all the great advice. My maggie definately needs someone to play with and cuddle with too.

technodoll
December 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM
yayyy! :highfive: good luck and i hope the right soul comes along soon for your family

~michelle~
December 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM
good luck and keep us posted on your hunt for a new family member. I find three is the perfect # of puppies :) (prin.... )

BusterBoo
December 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM
My Harley was an only "child" for 4 years before I brought home Buster, an 8 week old puppy, this past June!

It has now been almost 6 months and things are still a little hectic. Yes, walk two...feed two.....potty for two....(double the amount of picking up outside too!)....play with two....love two!

I introduced Harley to the new puppy outside...on the front yard. We sat outside for a good hour and let the two of them sniff and check each other out. They are not yet best friends, but they are getting there. I have always made a point of feeding Harley first and making sure that the puppy knows that Harley was their first. Between the two of them, they will sort out who is the leader, some days it seems like they take turns. :D and occasionally even let me be pack leader :D

Good luck! :thumbs up

Dogastrophe
December 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM
We had Monty (rip buddy) for several months before we adopted Lucy. The change in Monty was night and day (after he accepted that she had the right to exist in his house). He would bounce around the house like a puppy playing with her. In a normal evening he would play with her for much longer than he would normally play with us.

If you have the means to feed, provide vet care, etc for multiple dogs, I would say go for it.

Hunter's_owner
December 13th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Yeah that same happened at my parents house when we got Hunter almost 6 years ago. My parent's had a dog, well I grew up with her, and she was 14 at the time when my bf and I got Hunter. Well it revived her, it really did. She became playful again, and showed him who was boss. I really believe that it was her that helped us raise Hunter through his puppy years. While she only lived for another 2 years :sad: :rip: , her last 2 were happier for her I truly believe, and I also think that had we not gotten Hunter when we did she would not have lived as long as that.

Dogastrophe
December 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Monty would have been 7 to 8 years old and Lucy about 9 mos. He was fairly laid back and she was a wild basket case. I am positive that her foolish antics brightened up his day. He did figure out fairly quick that if she was up to no good that he would vacate the room. Guess he didn't want to get his fingerprints on her trainwreck. :pawprint:

krisc83
December 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM
sorry guys this is off topic but does anyone know where i can find that article on scruffing that was on the main page last week? i cant find it anywhere. sorry again

Dogastrophe
December 13th, 2006, 10:52 AM
sorry guys this is off topic but does anyone know where i can find that article on scruffing that was on the main page last week? i cant find it anywhere. sorry again

yep, link to article is as follows: http://www.pets.ca/articles/article_scruffing.htm

krisc83
December 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
yep, link to article is as follows: http://www.pets.ca/articles/article_scruffing.htm

thanks!!!!!

Reen
December 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
We adopted a second dog (Ceili) from a lab rescue agency 3 months ago. The second dog has adapted great - it's like she's in heaven. The first dog (Bree) has accepted her to some degree, but still sulks. My issue/concern is that when I try and play with Bree now, she is far more aggressive than she used to be and even nipped me (in play but it hurt) and growls at me around her food. She definitely treats my husband as the alpha male, but seems to have lumped me in with the new dog. I didn't have these issues before - do I need to be worried about the aggression?

Prin
December 28th, 2006, 12:47 AM
When you have one dog, you don't get as much of the pack mentality as you do with two or more. A lot of people are at the bottom of their one dog pack without even realizing it. I think you need to start the NILF stuff (nothing in life is free) and reassert yourself as the leader. Just seems like you're below her in her mind.:shrug: