Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RANKING of dog food ingredients

Goldens4Ever
December 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I got this list from someone who works for a health agency. Her company had a veterinarian 'RANK' ingredients found in dog food:
(1=DANGEROUS, 3=NEUTRAL, & 5=SUPERB).

It's really long, so I put in as an attachment. If anyone knows of a better way to post this info, please let me know.

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I like that, in general.:) The only thing is at one point he says "whole corn is better", but whole corn is lower on the list. :o

Learned things about beet pulp too...

Sad that he thinks salmon meal is that bad- as bad as animal digest..:(

Goldens4Ever
December 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM
YEAH, ME TOO! The low ranking of Salmon Meal totally threw me off. I sat and thought about that, as Goldie & Aspen's TO & old SG foods contain Salmon Meal within the first 3 ingredients. This is just one vets opinion, but 99.9% of the rankings seem consistent with the info that's out there about dog food.

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Well, most people don't put beet pulp that low on the list- tomato pomace and tomatoes either...:shrug:

In general it's good, but some things he's a little extreme about.:shrug:

Goldens4Ever
December 11th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Funny you mention that. I also was surprised about how those were ranked, along with the Citric Acid. That was ranked a "3" and I thought it would've been ranked lower. I am still wondering if the Salmon Meal rank was a typo....:shrug: I have a hard time stomaching that it was ranked as a "1."

But, at the very least, this is another good tool for people to learn about the really scary ingredients so that they have an easier time picking a food. For instance, I pick & choose certain ingredients that I do & do not want in my girls' foods, & this ranking system makes it a lot easier for me, in addition to the other info that's out there. ;)

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Citric acid should have been a 2 IMO... And some of the grains listed as 4 should have been 3s, IMO.

technodoll
December 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
"ground whold grain corn" lists as a top, excellent ingredient in dog food? this guy's off his rocker! what load of BS! and ground whole grain sorghum also a 5? that's what the Purinas and Ol'roys love to use because it's cheap and it's of no use to the human food chain... :frustrated: i stopped going down the list after that, it's too absurd :shrug:

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I wish I felt better to post a response. :o

technodoll
December 11th, 2006, 10:36 PM
rainbow, are you sick? :o :confused:

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, she is.:(

Techno, you should read the rest. There are a few off, but there's a lot of goodness too.:shrug:

technodoll
December 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
prin i know that if you said it was a good document, i trust you :) my headache right now is pretty rough and that corn thing made my BP rise, so that,s not good LOL! what is wrong with rainbow? is this in the TJT?

(sorry for the threadjack) :sorry:

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Yeah, page 411 (seared into my memory forever and ever)

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Sorry, Prin. But, I am about to pack it in cuz I know I'm missing a whole bunch of threads and can't answer properly anyways. :o

:sorry:

I'm sorry for the threadjack. :o

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:43 AM
:grouphug: rainbow.:)

meb999
December 12th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Poor Rainbow :grouphug: I jope you feel better soon...

interesting list....I'm a little freaked out by salmon meal --> especially after I just bought a gimungous bag of Barking at the Moon...:o :o :o

Salmon Meal 1 Concentrated source of protein and a few fatty acids (oil has been pressed out) but can add mercury to the diet