Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 m/old kitten poops right outside box

livinirie84
December 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I know this sounds like one of the frequently asked questions but after reading them i could not find anything to help me with this issue. I have 2 kittens(brother and sister) and they have never had any issues with using their boxes. We have raised them from 2 weeks old. Recently (in the last few months) one of them has started pooping right outside their litterbox on the mat that we use to collect the stray litter so they dont drag it around the house. I thought it might be happening because the litter box may have been too dirty at the time but then we cleaned them completely and i have noticed it happening right after cleaning the boxes. We have 2 covered boxes and both of them have some sort of litter collector-type mats outside the entrance. I cannot figure why this would be happening if they have no other issues with using the boxes. Please let me know what you think
Thanks.
ps. the girl cat does not cover her pee or poop in the box, the boy cat always goes in there and does it for her. She has done this since we got her so i think it is her that is pooping outside the box.

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Some cats don't like covered boxes. I would take the lid off one and see what happens. If her behaviour continues then take her to the vet for a check-up. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah my room-mates cat used to do this as well. She has 2 covered litters, and he still did it, so she got an uncovered shallow one and he will use that every time now:shrug:

vfrohloff
December 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Yup, I agree. I have found that most cats don't like covered boxes, and this is especially true if the boxes are kept in high traffic areas like the kitchen or bathroom. A cat will feel trapped in a covered box, and to be quite honest I don't find covered boxes do much to keep the smell down. Have you changed the type of litter you use? Some cats just don't cover their stuff, I have one like that, but it could also be that she doesn't like the feel of that particular litter on her paws or she may not like the smell of it if you are using scented litter. I would try taking the lid off the box for a while and see if that helps, if not I would switch to using unscented clumping litter, most cats seem to prefer it. Also, if there is a lot of action going on around the litter box I would consider changing it's location to somewhere more "private". However, just try one thing at a time for several days to see what works, don't change everything all at once or she may stop using the box altogether. Good luck!

erykah1310
December 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Not to discourage you in anyway , but my Oliver has always refused to use litter boxes to poop. He poops right beside it all the time, went to the vet, nothing medically wrong with him, its behavior in my case. So we tried everything from putting food where he usually craps... he just crapped there anyway, putting another litter pan thing there (where he craps) he just crapped beside that one. moving the litter boxes around... he still just craps there....

He asks to go out to crap now. So we let him out, he does his buisness and comes back in:shrug: BUT... we live in the bush, so i dont recommend you just letting your cat out. Work with a behaviorist and see what you can do, Oliver is 3 ish years old now and well its habbit now for him....

livinirie84
December 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks so much for all your help everybody. I will try taking the lid of one of the boxes for now and see what happens.