Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new chihuahua puppy

twisten
December 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been reading it the last few days (and nights) trying to see if my problem has been mentioned. This will be fairly long and I apologize for that. At this time we're having no problems I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. Now for the story: Our son was seriously assaulted this summer by a bunch of kids. There was no punching only kicking and to his face by four other kids while some held him down. They ended up giving him a concussion, knocking out his teeth and cracking his nose. After this happened we decided to get a guard dog so we bought a 2 year old purebred German Shepherd. She is a good dog but terribly spoilt by the previous owners. She demands your attention all the time. We've been working on that and she is getting better. Also no one comes to our house without our knowing about it. She does growl but has never bitten. We do not discipline her for this as that is her job. We allow her to smell the person and then she is fine. Now our kids bought me a purebred chihuahua puppy for Christmas. This puppy weighs 1 pound and is 3 months old. I've been keeping her in a playpen when the Shepherd is in the house and I let her out to play when Summit (the Shepherd is outside). Today I slowly started introducing the two to each other. I put Summit on a short leash so I had complete control and let Brie (the chihuahua) run around to play. We also make sure Summit gets equal or more attention so there is less jealousy. Am I doing things right or should I be doing something more? Also Brie sleeps in a crate at night beside our bed and Summit has her own bed in our room too. Can anyone think of anything else? Because there is such a size difference in these two I want to be very, very careful.

~michelle~
December 11th, 2006, 05:21 PM
i am so sorry to hear about your sons incident thats so traumatizing....
has summit played with small dogs before ? how does he usually play with other dogs? its really hard to offer too much advice because we dont know how your dog is. i would say your doing well. let them get used to one another. i would take a long time before leaving them unattended together, but only you know your dog.

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I have no advice either, but it sounds like you are handling it approproately. Just take it slow, and look for any signs that Summit may not be happy with the little one. As long as everything is being controlled, it should be fine. Many people have mixed big breeds and small breeds before and it has worked out okay.

Also I wanted to say I am very very sorry to hear about what happened to your son. The thought of bullying makes me not want to have kids. I pray that your son will never have to face such an ordeal again, and that those who did it will understand how truly wrong it is:pray: :grouphug:

twisten
December 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all your comments and well wishes for our son. I can't say how Summit is with other dogs, big or small, because we haven't had her near other dogs yet. She is doing great with the puppy though. I've only heard her growl at Brie once so far and that was because Brie was jumping all over her. We're still very cautious though but we let them play a bit with Summit off the leash. Thansk again for the replies and I'll keep posting and letting you guys know how things are going.

LavenderRott
December 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM
It sounds like you are doing everything just fine. I will add that I don't think you should ever leave these two unattended and make sure that the larger dog plays calmly with the smaller.

It isn't that I am thinking that your GSD would intentionally harm the pup BUT when you are talking about such a HUGE size difference, accidents can happen.

twisten
December 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
We've been thinking the same thing Lavender. All it would take to hurt Brie is for Summit to step on her, even accidentally. She is such a tiny and sweet little puppy.

rainbow
December 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Well, there's nothing to add here as you obviously are doing everything right. :thumbs up So I just wanted to say when do we get to see pics of Summit and Brie? :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 16th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Welcome Twisten - its sounds like your doing everything right to introduce the dogs - I only have one dog myself - but if I decided to get another one I would introduce them similarly.

:sorry: I am really sorry about what happened to your son - I have two boys myself and the thought of something like that happening just makes me sick - I hope those boys are paying big consequences for what they did.

Yes I would like to see pictures of Summit and Brie too. :)

Daisy2943
December 17th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Never leave dogs with such size difference alone together supervise them carefully no and ifs or buts about it. My uncle has a pekinese and he got a lab puppy. One day the two were playing fetch with my uncle the lab accidently stepped on the peke the pekenise had to get two back operations and to this day still has problems walking. Also my aunt got her first husky and had this shiz tzu for 9 years already when the husky got a year old after being raised with the shiz tzu he killed him. Im not saying this happens all the time but it can happen.

twisten
December 17th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Once I figure out how to post them I'll put them up. Any advice on this? You guys will be blown away by the size difference!!

chico2
December 17th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Twisten,there is a girl here who has 3 Chihuahuas and 2 bigger dogs,one is a Great Dane,her Forum name is Greaterdane,maybe she can give you some advice too.
If I were you,I probably would not let them interact too much,those little Chi bones are very fragile..
My son has told me all about Lloydminster,where he goes for entertainment:D he lives in Vermilion Alta.
Like the others I would love to see some pics

twisten
December 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I don't know how to post the pics on here. Anyone have any advice on how to do it?

Frenchy
December 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM
When you reply there is a small box if you scroll down the page, it's call manage attachments,click on it and you will be able to post a pic. I think what you're doing is just fine. Take it slow and supervise. I don't think the GSD would hurt the chi but you are right, in this case, size does mater! :D

twisten
December 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I keep getting told my pics exceed the forum limits. I'll have to figure out how to make them smaller. Any advice?

BMDLuver
December 26th, 2006, 10:58 AM
If you have paint on your computer, then bring the photo in to paint and choose Image, stretch, skew. Then reduce at 50% in both fields. That will make the file more managable. Don't forget to save and format jpeg to upload.

OntarioGreys
December 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I save all my photos to photobucket.com, it is free to use and allows cross linking of images to other internet sites , then when I want to use a photo, I find the photo I want, underneath the photo are 3 options
URL link
Html code
Image code

for posting photos to furums press "image code" that will copy the code for the image then you come here to the forums reply box right-click on your mouse and select paste, the photo will now appear in your post when you hit "submit reply" or "preview post" no resizing is necessary

Golden Girls
December 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Once I figure out how to post them I'll put them up. Any advice on this? You guys will be blown away by the size difference!!Hi and welcome. Just resize photo to: 640X480, you can post 2 at a time.

The 1st one is just to show his actual size. You'll see the lil Chi in the second photo behind him, they live together, best bud's and the Chi's the boss, tt's so funny. Hope we get to see Summit and Brie soon :)

tenderfoot
December 26th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you are taking things slowly and cautiously with the new pup and thatís great. Often the little one will learn to hold her own ground - with dogs it is often more about attitude then size - but the difference here is great and precautions will always be in order.

My bigger concern is the GSD and kids. What happened to your son is terrible on the extreme side, but we really can't count on the dog to be there every time or to be able to fully understand the extent to which you expect her to step up to the plate. We also can't expect her to understand between a truly dangerous situations versus intense play with children who don't really mean to do harm. GSD's are instinctive on many levels and great guard dogs - but not all of them have the same abilities to be effective - to be able to draw the line between guarding and attacking. A trained protection dog is a loaded gun, and an untrained dog who is expected to protect is possibly even less predictable/controllable.

The concern I have is if someone were to threaten your son and the dog attacked but did not have the training to be called off. Or she went for an innocent child, or she did nothing at all and your son was left to his own devices once again. I understand the desire to protect your son and to give him a sense of security - but I really think you need to look at the potential for accidents and the reality of "are we really fixing the problem?".

JMHO

twisten
December 26th, 2006, 03:38 PM
The kids who attacked my son were threatening to come to our house that is why we got Summit. She merely puts on a show eg. growling, barking that type of stuff. She has never attempted to bite anyone. We live on an acreage and no small children come here. I am looking into putting her into obediance school because I share the same concern as you, IF she were to attack could we call her off?

tenderfoot
December 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Got it. :thumbs up

I hope those kids now have criminal records! :mad:

I am so sorry about your son I can't imagine how frightening to have that happen on your own property.:eek:

twisten
December 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM
The kids were supposed to have been arrested last week and their trials, if they plead not guilty, will start in February. They've been charged with assault to commit grievious bodily harm (something like that anyway) so if found guilty they will be doing time. Thanks for the support and I'll let you guys know whats happening as things progress. Still having trouble getting those pics on but I'll keep trying.

brandynva
December 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. My son tends to be a target at school because he is not quite as big as the other boys, not into sports as much etc etc... I have a fear that something will happen to him. As far as pictures go, having a photobucket account is the best thing. Go to http://www.photobucket.com to set up an account. Then you upload pictures directly from your computer. Photobucket automatically resizes them for you. Then, like Ontario says, there will be three links underneath. Click on the IMG one. It will automatically copy it. Then come to your post here (helpful to have two windows open, one with photobucket, one with this forum) and right click, and go to paste. When you submit your post, or preview it, your picture will be there. It's super easy once you do it. Feel free to ask if you have more questions! Welcome to the forum!

twisten
December 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/twisten_2006/HPIM0896.jpg

twisten
December 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah, it worked!! They're playing by the way, though Summit's mouth is wide open and it looks like she is going to have lunch!! They are doing awesome together. Of course we still restrict how much time they spend together but Summit is so gentle with her. Even when she is walking she is careful as to where she puts her feet. I'm extremely happy how well things are going but at the same time I'm still aware not to let my guard down. I can't remember who told me about photobucket.com but thanks a bunch. :queen: That's the one I had to use to post the pics. I'll probably be flooding you guys with pics now.