Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Picking cat or kitten up by scruff??

heidiho
December 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
My vet told me to do it,my boyfriend does not like it and thinks it is cruel..Opinions please.

marko
December 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Hi Heidiho,

The is an article on it on the main site - it might well help.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article_scruffing.htm

Overall I think it is NOT a good idea....especially if we are talking about an adult cat.

heidiho
December 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Thank you and it is a kitten..

MyBirdIsEvil
December 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
No, it will not hurt a kitten that size, assuming you're gentle, but why would your vet want you to do it?
You should only have to scruff a cat for a few reasons:
1. You want to move it and it refuses to go, therefore it might bite/scratch.
2. It's throwing a fit, so the only way to pick it up without it wriggling out of your hands is by the scruff.
3.It's trying to run somewhere where it shouldn't, so you have to grab it in a quick and subdued way.

If you do decide to do it, always support their backside, no matter the weight of the cat, but especially with adults.
In a normal situation, where you're picking your cat up to pet it, or you just want to move it, there should be no reason to grab it by the scruff.

erykah1310
December 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM
im not a scruff picker upper fan at all, but in the 3 instances listed above i have done it.

chico2
December 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I never have,anyway mine are adults.
I find my cats are more comfortable being picked up if I support their back legs,I was told never to let their bag-legs dangle..

heidiho
December 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I did it last night when she insisted on going where i kept battling with her about not going.Actually it was vet asst that told me to do it but only to pick her up when she is totally out of ocntrol and then to put her in bathroom.I am not gonna be doing it anymore first of all because she fights like a madman when i did it,i mean some serious squirming and pissed offness on her part and my second because my boyfriend doen not like.But i have to say i am gonna try the water bottle next and honestly if that doesnt work i am at a loss,she is getting very badddddd

chico2
December 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Awww Heidi,she's a baby and does baby-things,just love her for it...soon enough she'll be a big girl:love:and you'll miss those crazy days..although mine still have those zooomie moments:D

MyBirdIsEvil
December 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Considering her age, if you scruff her and she's going mad you're either hurting her or not doing it right, so yeah, I would stop for now. You may want the vet to show you the correct way to do it, because as a cat owner there are some instances when you may have to use it for you and your cats safety.
For instance, if your cat is about the bolt out of the door and run in front of a car the safest way to pick her up would be by the scruff. If you grab her body while she's in the process of bolting, she may scratch and bite you really hard causing you to drop her, then her safety is at risk. Even the most bonded well socialized cat may bite or scratch while they're in the process of trying to bolt because their adrenaline is up and their brain is focused on just one thing.

But i have to say i am gonna try the water bottle next and honestly if that doesnt work i am at a loss,she is getting very badddddd
Yup, they go through that stage where they want to get into everything and don't care what you say about it. I hate to tell you, but it'll last a few months before they calm down, but they WILL calm down. They'll still try to get into stuff but it won't include them acting like a madman and running away from you as fast as they can.

heidiho
December 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I know my boyfriend says the same thing,she just doesnt stop she somehow reached the lights and started chewing on a bulb on the tree,we moved higher..Then she leaped form end of couch and landed in the tree.Then an hour later falls asleep in my arms on her back,,,,god i love her so much but i swear she can drive me mad..

jawert1
December 11th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the kitten crazies heidi :) Like chico said, she'll grow out of it, not entirely, but the worst of it at any rate. I had a kitten that all the way through her short adult life (4 yrs) never grew up or out of that stage. She scaled everything for AGES. She sure is a cutie though, and thanks for taking her in :)

heidiho
December 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM
She doesnt cry when i did it,but yeah i probably did it wrong,so water bottle and what each time she goes soemwhere she shouldnt just pick her up normally and do it til she stops???because that could be like 20 times i get up and move her from places she shouldnt be

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not a kitty person, but from my experience at the vet, I *think* the more you do it the more likely they might get used to it and it'll become useless.:o

heidiho
December 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
oh yeah and your welcome i am happy we saved her....:evil: :angel:

dogcatharmony
December 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM
my vet also instructed me to pick my cat up by the scruff, and support his bottom. He is nine and when he gets in his pushy moods(he can be very agressive) and he is 21pounds, I still pick him up by his scruff and put him in another room. He responds well to it, when he comes back in he is calm and cool and just wants to snuggle. Remember a momma cat would do this to her young to teach them, It does not hurt, just remember to hold their bottom.

dtbmnec
December 11th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Its hard to hold their bottoms when they've decided to go behind something they shouldn't and you can't pick them up any other way or really reach them....:frustrated:

Dart and Leo got in behind my tv earlier today and were chewing on the surround sound system wires (we got it super cheap and it works! Yay!) well I had to scruff him but as soon as I could grab his little behind I sure did....idget cat....

Megan

erykah1310
December 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM
surround sound system wires (we got it super cheap and it works! Yay!)

Megan

:sorry: :offtopic: Please tell me it wasnt purchased from the guy in the back of the truck??? "My boss over ordered these and he doesnt know, I have 3 that i have to get rid of before i get back" "can i interest you in one?"

End threadjack.

dtbmnec
December 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM
:sorry: :offtopic: Please tell me it wasnt purchased from the guy in the back of the truck??? "My boss over ordered these and he doesnt know, I have 3 that i have to get rid of before i get back" "can i interest you in one?"

End threadjack.

lol no we got it cheap from WalMart...it was on sale LOL

My friends had someone try to sell his speakers out of the back of his van....pfft....they didn't go for it....

End threadjack.

Megan

heidiho
December 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM
My boyfriend just does not like it and thinks it is cruel so i will not be doing it unless she is darting for the door or if she is somewhere she shoudlnt be i will but i will also hold her by her bottom..

SARAH
December 12th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I know, guys are such softies :) Lewis got on my case for scruffing Misti as she got on the kitchen table for the umpteenth time! Lol, always have done, supporting their back side as they got older/ heavier.

The water bottle was a good help to get Misti not to play with the Christmas tree from the back of the couch. I don't care about the bottom part, as it is decorated with cat-friendly things (since I was a kid we've done that), but the middle and top have glass ornaments and 5-6 sprays disuaded her from insisting (too much)

Funny - Lewis has found a We Wish You a Merry Christmas "sung" by cats and dogs and playing it on his pc behind me. Dani, Sheba and Misti are listening :) to that and all the other cat sounds he's found :) incl. Tom Jones' What's New Pussycat, Misti liked the sound of his voice. :offtopic: and is blocking the screen with her head, tail, body; moving the mouse, "typing" in short, being a secretary-cat :cat:

heidiho
December 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
It is like daddys girl kind of thing,i get so mad and he thinks it is cute,but god i guess it kind of is