Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dehydrated treats

Scott_B
December 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Wasn't quite sure which forum to put this under as its pet food related.

I plan on picking up a dehydrator and making some treats up for Rosco. I bought a bag of Tripe treats the other day and he loves them, so I figure I can make them with a dehydrator! Maybe do up some beef strips or liver.

My question is, when you use a dehydrator, does the smell get out with the food that your dehydrating? Last thing i want is my house stunk up like tripe lol. I'd just like to know if anyone has any experience with them? I never used one before.

Goldens4Ever
December 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but I have one for you. I am also
VERY interested in dehydrating meat for my girls, but do I need to add any type of natural preservative to the meat or I just dehydrate it & that's it? How long does it last after dehydrating & is it best for the food to be rehydrated before serving, regardless if it's for a meal or just a treat? Lots of questions......help anyone?????

meb999
December 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM
ooooo I can't wait to see the answer! I've been wanting to buy one for months :thumbs up

Goldens4Ever
December 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
If I remember correctly, I think Rainbow dehydrates meat for her dogs......???????

Scott_B
December 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've never done it before. I was just gonna slice up whatever meat i was going to use and do it like that. No extras. But I would like to hear from others on it.

Melinda
December 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM
it stinks to high heaven, I use to do it with liver (marinated for 8 hours in extra virgin olive oil and garlic) then dehydrate for 12 hours, man...it was bad, second time I used hubbies garage, it stunk for a week. Our Trainer now sells dehydrated liver cheaper than I was making it and Brina loves it. So thats now what I do...