Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advantage-flea med

loveyadogs
December 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM
may I have some info on how this works
my dogs are still on advantage, went to mother inlaws last night and came home with a couple fleas , as she has a cat and dog, both indoor outdoor, so I dont know how this advantage works then? or do the flease bie dog and die due to advantage or ...shoudl they have not been repelled before going on the dog? :confused: I am very confused as now I am at work and cant even be home to bath dog (which will dry skin) and I will vacuum whenI get home, clean bucket and re vacuum again, but if MIL has fleas I thought the advantage woudl combat for my dogs:yuck:

speedbunny70
December 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM
As I have come to understand all of these flea meds, they are suppose to kill the fleas if the it lands on your dog, if you've been giving it to him/her every month, and I believe Advantage kills it within 12 hours.
I don't use that particular type of flea med, I use Sentinal on Bailey. It's good for Fleas, Ticks, worms, etc. But I only give it to him for 6 months starting at the beginning of June.
Hope this helps you.

dustybird
December 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
The advantage should kill the fleas within 12 to 24 hrs. The way it works is it doesn't repel the fleas but it prevents them from breeding by making them sterile. The Flea's absorb the advantage through their tiney flea feet and thus kills them unlike other meds that the flea has to bite in order to absorb the product. Also because the advantage lives in your dogs skin so to speak any dead skin that falls off will help to kill fleas in the house since the fleas will eat it and then die( I would still vacume though). I hope this made some sort of sense, you can also check out bayer's website under animals and it should explain it much better than I. I wouldn't worry too much since they are on and have been on the product for awhile.

loveyadogs
December 12th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Thnak you friends
I was upset but feel better about the product and such.
i vacuumed, dumped canister, shop vacuumed the canister, vacuumed again, repeated cleaning the canister with shop vac (inthe garage) and will do so again today to pick up any dead flea/skin. blah. bleck
lol
Thanks