Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dark urine stain - female dog

BabyJessy
December 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I haven't had to take my dog to the vet lately but I do have one question I will ask next time, and perhaps someone out there knows the answer. Sometimes my dog seems to have a darkish area arounnd her "private parts" - I notice this when she is playfully upside down and wants a belly rub. I can remove the brownish stain with warm water on a cloth. I was wondering if this is normal - she is a very furry dog and although I try to keep that area clipped shorter and clean, is it just the result of urine staining? She doesn't seem to have any problems urinating and doesn't seem "under the weather" but I am still concerned.

mummummum
December 10th, 2006, 08:51 PM
While it's not unusual for urine to be darker than normal sometimes, I'm hyper-attentive to one of my grrrl's wee because she is prone to urinary tract and yeast infections. If she hasn't been drinking a whole lot on a particular day her wee will be darker than usual but when it gets and stays "cloudy" I can usually tell if she has a case of the "yeasties". If it gets and stays darker there may be blood in her urine which is a sign of a UTI (amongst other things). Maybe for your own peace of mind you should bring in a urine sample the next time you notice that it is darker.

BoxerMom
December 10th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I agree possible UTI. Sometimes its rather simple, but it can easily escalade to a painful ordeal for the furbaby. If she seems in pain or any other complications pop up- a vet trip will fix the problem EASY :thumbs up

BabyJessy
December 11th, 2006, 01:30 PM
But how can one get a urine sample from a dog?! I have tried and tried to slip a small container under her outdoors when she pees, but this is really NOT working. She stops and then looks at me like I'm crazy. It was easier when she was a baby and did it indoors on a doggie diaper. I could just squeeze out a few drops (the test results were negative that time).

Please - does anyone have an easy method to get a urine sample? I suppose a drop on a tissue or a sterile cloth is not good enough for the vet? I know they can work with a small amount but how small? :confused:

ByronsDad
December 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
When we had to collect urine from our puppy I used an empty pill container (capsule pills, and thoroughly washed) taped to the end of a grabbing device I use for moving plants in a fish tank. Any long stick, ruler, ladle, etc… would be a fine platform to tape your pee-collecting device to. One thing I would recommend though, is that your pee catching device either have a lid that can be screwed on easily, or be easy to pour out of, otherwise you might want to grab for some gloves. :D

Happy collecting! :thumbs up

jawert1
December 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM
For my male Pointer I use a wide mouthed pill bottle, for my female Shep X I've invested in those ziplock reusable containers. They're wide, flat and don't tend to be a squatting obstruction (she's like your dog - looks at me like I'm crazy when I'm dashing to get one under her). The best way to handle that is to be VERY quiet when she's squatting and dashing it under her quickly (or as ground clearance allows).

LibbyP
December 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Try and put a shallow pan under her first pee in the am (she has to go bad and less likely to stop) not to be gross is it rusty colour like tear staining? (IMO) without seeing its hard to tell (and I don't want a pic :eek: ) it could possibly be from licking herself to keep clean, saliva turns some lighter dogs a rusty colour, wouldn't hurt like others have suggested next trip to the vets take in a sample, good luck.

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I also use a bowl to collect their first morning pee as they aren't likely to stop after holding it all night. Pour it into whatever container you're using to transport it to the vet and put it in the fridge until you leave.

I also agree that licking the area may be causing the staining.

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I hear you about the difficulty of getting a sample. We had a springer that could hold it for 48 hours if she knew we were after a sample! :eek: She was sweet...but obstinate :frustrated: Just keep trying and eventually she'll get used to it. (It doesn't hurt, once you've gotten your sample, to occasionally 'pretend' to take one--just to remind her that sometimes it happens and it's nothing to get too tense about. We pull out the pans maybe once every couple of months...just to keep them all used to them. Makes it easier if you have a problem later...)

Have you ever seen those foil coffee cake tins--the long, narrow ones that are less than 2 cm deep? Washed, they make excellent pee catchers. Walk with your dog and as soon as she squats, slip the pan underneath. If your dog is large enough, you can slip it in from behind.

Once she's become used to you sneakin' up behind her at awkward moments and stealing her pee (:D) , you can use almost any clean shallow container to catch urine. If you use a metal bowl in winter, the urine will often freeze, which will ruin the sample. So in winter, we use clean cool whip containers--plastic insulates long enough to get the sample inside.

For a urinalysis, you only need about a teaspoon. Empty, washed 35mm film canisters with the snap tops make excellent urine transport containers. Since we're usually taking in more than one sample (we have 6 dogs), we mark each one by writing the name/date/time on a piece of masking tape and sticking it to the outside of the canister. If you won't have the sample to the vet within an hour or two, store the sample in your fridge or a cooler.

The free catch won't, of course, be sterile, but the vet will still be able to look for blood cells and crystals, measure the pH and specific gravity, etc...

BabyJessy
December 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Wow - you people are extremely helpful and make me very happy that I signed on to this forum. If I talk too much about my dog at work or with friends I know they think I'm "obsessed" and I have even heard that a terrible person whispered "she has no life" after I proudly showed off photos of Jessy in her splash pool!!! :confused: Some people just don't get the fun and joy a dog injects into your life. But here we're all on the same wavelength. :grouphug: And I am getting some really great, valuable advice! Thanks!

Ok, back to the pee: no, I never saw her lick the area (to cause the rusty color) and I'm glad because she gives us kisses :eek: but I will keep trying to get that urine sample if it kills me! I will dress in camouflage and pretend I'm a bush if I have to!!!

MUST GET PEE!

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM
MUST GET PEE!

Wow! :eek: A woman on a mission! You go, girl! :thumbs up

technodoll
December 12th, 2006, 10:02 PM
"wear rubber gloves" :D

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2006, 10:45 PM
"wear rubber gloves" :D

Wuss!!!! :evil: A little pee never hurt nobody...although it does make the hair on your chest curl :eek:

:crazy:

we3beagles
December 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Try using a soup ladle to get that PEE. :thumbs up Go girl..

jawert1
December 13th, 2006, 08:32 AM
you can do it Babyjessy! Pay no attention to them when they look at you funny regarding your love for your pup, not everyone gets it :)

We3beagles, I've never tried the ladle trick, I will if ever again I need to attempt a capture )

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Have you been successful yet? :D :fingerscr

BabyJessy
December 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Nope. She's too quick. She learned from me. My mission continues!:fingerscr

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Wow...I have had lots of dogs over the years and have never had a problem with collecting the first morning pee.

BabyJessy
December 16th, 2006, 05:11 PM
She jumps like a bunny when she sees me bend down (and gets drips all over her fur). She's too smart for her own good.

The vet is closed tomorrow (Sunday) so I will try again on Monday, since it must be "fresh". I have noticed the dark area doesn't seem dark at all this week, but if dogs are like humans that doesn't mean there is no longer a problem. I guess the infection can move up towards the kidneys without any outward indications as it can in humans? :confused:

brandynva
December 27th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Any luck in your urine quest? Also, is your dog fixed? When mine started to go into heat things changed color down there. It was actually her fluids starting to leak from heat. Good luck!