Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weird smelling ear

Slams_58
December 10th, 2006, 07:18 PM
My Shiba has had an ear infection for a few weeks. The vet gave her some drops for her ear... but they don't seem to be doing anything. Since I picked her up from her surgical "Pin" removal ( another thread) she's been really digging at her ear... til she cries if we don't stop her. I was cleaning it out today with some warm wet gauze pads...and noticed it smells like metal. Kind of like a wet penny or something. Any ideas? I think she'll be going back to the vet for something stronger for her ear. I'm kind of hoping the antibiotics they gave her for her throat (pin thing again) might help in her ear too.

Hunter's_owner
December 10th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah I would definetly go back to the vet again. Have you been using the drops as directed? Has the smell changed at all or has it always been like that?

Inverness
December 10th, 2006, 07:25 PM
The smell probably comes from blood. If she scratches her ear a lot, she might be hurting herself. You should really go back to the vet so he can prescribe different drops.

meb999
December 10th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I agree with Inverness -- it might the smell of blood. I know my dad's Springer had a bad infection that he scratched till it bled and it smelled like metal a little. I would definetly return to the vets.
In the mean time, do you have doggy-booties? or maybe some socks you could put on her footsies so she doesn't scratch as much (or when you're not looking) at least that way her nails won't dig at any sores that might be in there :shrug:

Slams_58
December 10th, 2006, 09:48 PM
She is scratching til there is some blood. We stop her as soon as she tries...but she still gets in there with her nails. We're using the drops as directed...but she didnt' have them while she was in for the day and a half at the vets office. The one that treated her ear was a different vet, I hope they'd see her again without the high consultation fee, since she hasn't had any improvement from the stuff he gave us. This dog just finished costing me $900 for her pin removal. Plus the $100 the week before for her ear. It's really starting to suck! I'd try the sock thing...but she's such a brat..she'd chew it off. She even chewed out her IV at the vets last night. I don't know what to do with this dog anymore. It's frustrating. Just to get her drops in her ears takes my hubby and I holding her down and even then we're scratched and screamed at.

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
What are you feeding her?

OntarioGreys
December 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
You will need to go back to the vet, the vet more than likely prescribed a general antibiotic drop(usually low in price) that would have worked on most types of ear infections so for all those dogs it helps, those owners benefit since they are not having to pay extra for culture testing but around 5 to 10% of dogs won't get better so for those a swab of the ear need to be done and then tested to learn what type of infection is present so a correct antibiotic can be prescribed or a broader spectrum more expensive antibiotic is prescribed instead and possibly a steriod is prescribed as well to reduce the itchness, pain and swelling faster to prevent secondary infections from scratching

wdawson
December 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
the drops can be hard.......we did the wrestling thing in the begining....then we tried just one of us with treats.....and it worked over a couple of days....i can sympathize with you......go back to the vet and tell them your problems

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
We're treating Macie for an ear infection with our second round of meds--the Otomax didn't work...now we're trying Synotic and liquid Lamisil. She's a real fighter when it comes to ears, poor dear. Definitely a wrestling match! The good news is that after the first week, she finally realized that she was going to get the drops whether she objected or not. She still doesn't submit easily, but it's now gotten to where I can get the drops in by myself without having hubby hold her down. (And I only break into a light sweat instead of being drenched by the time I'm done :D ).

Just keep telling yourself it won't be forever...just one day at a time and before you know it, it will be over. I've been telling myself that for 18 days now...and I'm still alive and (almost) sane. :crazy:

With luck, the vet will see you on a follow-up basis--our second visit was free except for the price of the meds since it was a continuing problem and we'd already paid for an office visit.

Good luck :fingerscr We'll have to compare notes after the ears have cleared up and see if we're both still firing on all 6 cylinders :thumbs up

Slams_58
December 11th, 2006, 10:39 PM
She seems to not be scratching at it so badly today. She is on otomax for her ear. They swabbed her at the first visit and said she had a lot of bacteria in her ear...and a high yeast count. I've been really diligent with cleaning her ears with gauze and getting her drops in..whether she likes it or not. It was easier yesterday because she was still a little down from the anesthetic...today she's back in full swing and hard to handle. She knows it's coming and is a little bugger to even catch. She's such a brat... but the funny thing is... when she was down and out because of the pin in her throat... I jsut didn't like the way she acted. She's a meathead... it's her charm.

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2006, 11:26 PM
She seems to not be scratching at it so badly today. She is on otomax for her ear.

... today she's back in full swing and hard to handle. She knows it's coming and is a little bugger to even catch. She's such a brat... but the funny thing is... when she was down and out because of the pin in her throat... I jsut didn't like the way she acted. She's a meathead... it's her charm.

One thing about the Otomax...and probably the Lamisil...is that it can really sting a badly infected ear. It certainly doesn't make it any easier to get the meds in when they're expecting it to hurt.

We just did Macie's ears for the night--I can taste the Synotic... :yuck:

And I hear ya about the "charm of the meathead"... LOL We've got 6 of them...all pretty meaty at times... :D

Is her throat still doing well after the pin incident?

Prin
December 12th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Really? Jemma LOVES otomax. :o

You really have to ask the vet about this because you don't want to start growing resistant bacteria/fungus...:o

Slams_58
December 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Her throat's fine now. She ws down and out for the first day after... now she's full of evil again. Her ears even getting better. I have a feeling some of the antibiotics for her throat are helping with her ear. We bribed her with peanut butter lastnight and she did not too badly with the drops. Let's hope she doesn't figure out our alterior motive to her favorite treat (PB) in the whole world! :)

Hunter's_owner
December 12th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Glad to hear her ear is getting better. I have found that the otomax tends to work pretty fast.

Also be sure to use it as it as directed, because the last thing you would want is resistant yeast or bacteria to start to grow in there.