Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello - Help for my Sheltie

myanimalsmom
December 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have a 15 year old bi-black Sheltie. He is a wonderful dog and our first baby who has been showing signs of his age alot over the last few years.

He has arthritis in his hips which causes him to have some difficulty getting up, standing or remaining in a standing position at times. Outside of rubbing the area we aren't really sure if there is anything else we can do for him. Is there anything out there that can be given to a dog of this age? He has had a large mass cell tumor removed from his neck in the last five years and is very very sensitive to anything other than his own dog food and bread being introduced to his diet.

Also, over the last few months he has been having 'episodes'. After reading many of the posts here I'm starting to think he may have had a series of strokes. He becomes completely non-responsive to touch stimulation (he is deaf so we can't talk to him to get a response), walks into walls, and behaves almost like he has had too much to drink...he will go to sleep and most often wake up pretty close to normal and then he gets better over the coming days. We have had one serious episode where we thought we were going lose him. I hand fed him for a day, kept him calm and he came back to us. Is this strokes or mini-strokes?

At this point in his life are we doing him more harm than good keeping him alive. I am so concerned that he is suffering and can't tell us. I just want to make sure we are doing what's best for him not what's best for us.

~michelle~
December 10th, 2006, 12:06 PM
if you believe your dog is having strokes, or it sounds as if it could be seizures as well, your dog needs to see the vet. strokes, he can be put on blood thinners, and seizures have many meds that can be offered for him.
there are some medications that can be giving as well as supplements that can ease the discomfort of arthitis, i can remember the name of the supplement but im sure someone here will be able to tell you its name.
however i wish you the best of luck, but we cannot diagnose over the internet and your dog needs to see a vet and have a neuological exam

OntarioGreys
December 10th, 2006, 04:04 PM
If he was suffering from a lot of pain he would likely be laying pretty much in one place not wanting to move around at all , Bloodwork and a physical should be done every 6 months with a senior even that appears in good helath just to make sure all organs are functioning normally and lung and heart function is good once the vet has completed a physical and has gotten back the bloodwork, you would have a better idea based on the results and a talk with your vet on whether he is actually suffering or not, Your vet may recommend glucosamine/condroitin supplements for his hips or even some pain meds to make him more comfortable, it is a common problem even with dogs half the age of yours, so yes there is something that can be done

myanimalsmom
December 10th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Thank you for the information. We will be at our vet's tomorrow and I feel better that at least I have something that I can ask about that may help him.

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your sheltie and glad you are going to the vet tomorrow. Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr

myanimalsmom
December 12th, 2006, 07:02 PM
As it turns out we will have to wait to give him anything until he has some tests. I will post an update when we find out what, if anything, we can do for him.

Sadly though it turned out to be our other dog - Tuesday , 81/2 year old beagle - who was truly sick. She took a bad turn on Sunday and died Monday morning. Our vet tried what she could to save her.

We are very lucky to have a vet who truly loves and cares about the animals she treats.

~michelle~
December 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM
sorry to hear of your beagle

LibbyP
December 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Very sorry for your loss, :rip: Tuesday.