Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Rowdie

AnimalLover05
December 10th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Well on Friday of this past week I was cleaning my house only to look over and my Rowdie to see him having his first seizure. It was the scariest thing I have ever seen...My natural reaction besides bursting into tears was to call the vet. THey are running a bunch of blood work on him and calling us this coming week hopefully nothing major is wrong. They said that if his test results are good they are going to classify it as epilepsy....As of now he hasn't had anymore.....(*keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't*) Anyone deal with this before and have any support....Im still paranoid about it....it was the scariest thing I have ever seen......:sad: :fingerscr :pray:

TeriM
December 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Aww, poor Rowdie. I have no experience with this, it sounds so scary. Fingers and paws crossed that it is nothing serious :fingerscr .

hazelrunpack
December 10th, 2006, 11:46 PM
We had a dog that had one grand mal seizure and none thereafter... I know how frightening they can be! :fingerscr that Rowdie will be lucky, too, and not have any more seizures.

erykah1310
December 10th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Im so sorry about what you are going through, I hope the testing comes back with some good news.:fingerscr
How many seizures was there?

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Rowdie. Fingers crossed for the test results. :fingerscr

Dobb
December 11th, 2006, 05:52 AM
We had a shih zu which we adopted when she was ten yrs old. She had many health problems and took seizures several times. The first one she had, we were at a park and it was extremely hot out. We got back to the van and I opened the door for her to get in and she flopped on her side and started to vibrate with her legs straight out. About 30 seconds later she stopped and layed there. I put her in the van and headed for the vet which was 1and 1/2 hrs away. The vet checked her out and said it was probaly a combination of her health and the heat. We had her for 3 yrs and she took at least 10 seizures during that time. When she had one she would be really lathargic for a day. Never did find out for sure what caused them,,vet said she was on borrowed time when we got her due to her heart, cancer and cushings disease. I hope you find out what is causing them and can control them, I know how scary they can be and how helpless you feel when they are taking one.
Dobb

AnimalLover05
December 11th, 2006, 10:20 AM
So far Rowdie has only had one seizure.......what was really scary was that he is not even two years old yet.....they checked his heart since boxers are very prone to heart problems and she said it sounded good.....I should know this week what is causing them. You are all right it is very scary and you do feel completely helpless because there is nothing you can do except make sure they are in a safe place. His seizure lasted about 5minutes but it seemed like an eternity.

AnimalLover05
December 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Well I found out that Rowdie has a hypothyroid....he is now on thyroid medication and gets rechecked in a month to see if his meds are working. Thank you for all of your support

Lukka'sma
December 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I hope this is the cure that you have been looking for and that Rowdie lives a long and happy life.

Frenchy
December 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
You must be so relieved ! At least it's not epilepsy . Good luck with the meds :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Great news for Rowdie! Not great about being hypothyroid, I mean, but if the meds prevent another seizure, that's wonderful! :highfive: Our Lil Belle is also hypothyroid--with her daily medication, though, you'd never know it.

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear that Rowdie's problem is not serious. I also had a dog that had hypothyroidism although she did not ever have any seizure like symptoms. If took a month or so to figure out the correct dosage for her daily meds but then she was fine. Good luck with Rowdie. :fingerscr